1981 XR250 Exhaust Noise Level?

Have any of you folks with older XR250s had BLM, Forrest Service, or State measure your exhaust noise?  If so, what were the results.  I think my exhaust is stock, but it seems quite loud.  I'd like to take the bike out to public lands, but don't want a ticket.  I used a smart phone app that is supposed to measure noise level, but there isn't any kind of calibration, so I don't trust that.  Can bike dealers make that measure?  The spark arrestor/muffler is marked Krizman 508.

thanks, tom

Below is a line drawing I stole from Partzilla.  My muffler has all those parts, but I'm not sure the insert thing has not been modified.  End of the muffler is stamped with: "Honda-Krizman Spark Arrestor Model 508".  The center section has this stamped into it: "HMMA0 HMXR500R"

The flared, outer end did not fit well, so I ran a bead of RTV around it as a temporary seal.  I can imagine that made it a bit quieter, but not much.  I ride on my own property, by my self, so I am not around other bikes for comparison. 

Since I only paid $400 for the whole bike, I don't want to spend $300 on a new muffler, so any ideas for improving the noise reduction will be appreciated. 

tom

muf.jpg

Looks like different markets got different exhausts? Not seen Krizman on anything here in NZ, only Honda numbering.

Your muffler must be a 500 one, which probably has a much larger outlet than a 250.

Generally the smaller the outlet the quieter it'll be.  Prettt much anything that kills noise kills HP too.

Here only XR models had the removable baffle/spark arrester shown in your pic, not XL's.