The official "What did you do to your 690 Enduro or Husqvarna 701 today?" thread

5 hours ago, Alexbv said:

Hello everybody, new guy here.  

Bought this beauty today and just got done unloading it from my truck after a couple hour drive through LA.   Check out the mileage!

I wouldn’t mind some help on what the first mods should be including on which way to go on lowering it since I’m 5’6 and can’t reach the ground at all  ?

A1671DFB-7136-441E-B460-8A7BA00ECEFC.jpeg.d48b6d6a74da4cd9f12aea43835204d6.jpeg898DA1C1-1991-4537-9D9A-8CBB1C58DACC.jpeg.88840e19056d7531dce979985cc9fddc.jpeg

If all you will be doing is commuting on streets, get yourself a set of supermoto wheels. That will lower it plenty. Otherwise you could install the Kouba lowering link. 

• Like 1

Went on a ride with 9 other's (most were BMW GS's,) anyway, we were on an adventure ride. We had logs to cross, moving water also. (Ok, it was only 3" deep, but hey, it was water!) Did some double track that was rocky and bombed out. No single track. Anyway, it appears that those rider revel in falling off their bikes. I was the only one that was on a bike that weighs less than a Buick. The only pics I have are of the other riders! Oh well.

Edit~ While on Black Canyon Road, we passed a fellow 701 pilot! He gave us a "thumbs up" so we didn't stop to assist.   

Edited by NORTY

• 3 weeks later...

I took my stock 690 in the woods of N. Ga. and did some "Adventure Riding".  I am now in need of some parts, and recommendations.

Stock hand guards look great but don't work too well when throwing bike down a mountain.

Stock Magura levers are great but expensive when needing to replace. (See handguard note.)

Mirrors. Have double takes on the way. If you need a stock mirror, there is one one on a trail somewhere in the mountains.

Skid plate. Flatland seems to be the ticket?

Fuel range is way less than I expected, what are you doing for that?

Do the larger footpegs make a big difference?

I took my stock 690 in the woods of N. Ga. and did some "Adventure Riding".  I am now in need of some parts, and recommendations.
Stock hand guards look great but don't work too well when throwing bike down a mountain.
Stock Magura levers are great but expensive when needing to replace. (See handguard note.)
Mirrors. Have double takes on the way. If you need a stock mirror, there is one one on a trail somewhere in the mountains.

I get 135 miles on stock 701 tank, how much range do you need?

1 hour ago, Daddy-O said:

If you want the best handguards available, get Highway Dirtbikes. I'm still running the stock Magura levers on my '17 690 and and I wipe out alot. HDB guards have saved the levers, and my hands every time.

Mirrors- Double Take- Old style , round, not the new ADV mirrors.

I have the Flatland skid and rad guard. No complaints.

Yes, wider footpegs make a difference. I'm running the IMS Rally peg.

Fuel tank- Rally Raid setup would be the ultimate. I've been carrying a 1 or 2 gallon Rotopax on my Tusk tail plate. Longer trips I carry the 2 gallon.

IMS rally peg 2.jpg

36507120246_dadcb500f4_k.jpg

36507145756_823e28f832_k.jpg

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

• 2 weeks later...

My 17 690 Enduro R had a supermoto setup on it when I bought it so it is exclusively for road service and, mostly, for a highway commute to work. As someone who has suffered with carpal tunnel syndrome I was finding the vibes a bit trying on my left hand. So, I bought a set of HVMP heavy bar ends. I've had these on other bikes with the last set having been on my cbr1000rr that was totalled when I was rear ended. On the plus side that crash paid for the 690.

I got the bar ends mounted today and hope to give them a try tomorrow. They probably won't get a real test until I go to work on tuesday as I'm not going to ride an hour on the highway just to see if my hand goes numb...

20190524_201706.jpg.18155d2e5e6746558ac74727125ff3e1.jpg20190524_201733.jpg.d71525ea2f43c3c32a494c5d82393d6a.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, sonny85 said:

Rigid floods, now maybe they'll stop pulling out in front of me..........nope! smh

IMG_20190526_192721.jpg

A single headlight is supposedly better for drivers to recognize as a motorcycle nearby. Multiple lights somehow give the impression of a car/truck far away. There are other tactics that can help avoid people pulling out in front of you/getting them to notice you like moving from side to side in your lane.