Bryan Bosch

The official "What did you do to your 690 Enduro or Husqvarna 701 today?" thread

Wings exhaust came in yesterday! What a beautiful product. And you get a lot of extra goodies ( T-shirt, stickers, exhaust keychain)

Also finished my HDB install. Installed a Fuzeblock FZ-1 a few days ago.( not real happy with the location but no room under the seat)

IMG_3556.JPG

IMG_3557.JPG

IMG_3562.JPG

IMG_3572.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3576.JPG

IMG_3561.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

• Like 4

Installed a Rekluse RadiusX clutch in the 690 on Sunday! My slow speed crawl went from 6mph to 0-1mph!

I'm yanking the 14t front sprocket off and replacing it with the stock 15t later today.

Incredible clutch!

IMG_3645.JPG

IMG_3650.JPG

Edited by Force0321
  • Like 5

I like the under-seat storage pouch idea from @Bryan Bosch. My Husky 701 didn't come with a pretty "factory" pouch, so I went down to the local sporting goods store and bought a waterproof cell-phone pouch...in Husky blue! :thumbsup:

husky-seat-pouch-close.JPG

husky-seat-pouch.JPG

• Like 1

Finally gave the 690 some love and installed Fasst Impact Adventure Pegs, Perun Heel Guards, Perun Luggage Rack, and Factory Pro Detent Arm Shift Kit.  Also, have some TKC 80 tires I need to mount.

Just relocated to North Carolina and looking forward to getting out to the mountains and hopefully doing some camping as well.  The rack and heel guards should provide much better mounting for my Giant Loop Coyote Saddlebag.

20170921_172052.jpg

20170922_193824.jpg

20170922_193843.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/22/2017 at 10:19 PM, MotoX178 said:

Finally gave the 690 some love and installed Fasst Impact Adventure Pegs, Perun Heel Guards, Perun Luggage Rack, and Factory Pro Detent Arm Shift Kit.  Also, have some TKC 80 tires I need to mount.

Just relocated to North Carolina and looking forward to getting out to the mountains and hopefully doing some camping as well.  The rack and heel guards should provide much better mounting for my Giant Loop Coyote Saddlebag.

20170921_172052.jpg

20170922_193824.jpg

20170922_193843.jpg

You'll love the footpegs! ;) Let us know how the shifter spring works. Interested for sure. 

On 9/27/2017 at 10:53 AM, Bryan Bosch said:

You'll love the footpegs! ;) Let us know how the shifter spring works. Interested for sure. 

Definitely like the pegs, very comfortable.  I was always a fan of the Fastway F3 pegs and these remind me of them, plus the benefit of the vibration reduction, large adventure platform, and being lightweight.

The shift kit is a big thumbs up.  I only got out on the pavement, but the improvement was immediately noticeable.  Firm and precise shifts, with no missed shifts or sloppy feel.  I do not see a point paying more for the ceramic bearing in this application, so I went with the standard steel option.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoX178 said:

Definitely like the pegs, very comfortable.  I was always a fan of the Fastway F3 pegs and these remind me of them, plus the benefit of the vibration reduction, large adventure platform, and being lightweight.

The shift kit is a big thumbs up.  I only got out on the pavement, but the improvement was immediately noticeable.  Firm and precise shifts, with no missed shifts or sloppy feel.  I do not see a point paying more for the ceramic bearing in this application, so I went with the standard steel option.

How difficult was the shift kit to install, assuming middle of the road mechanical skills?

4 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

How difficult was the shift kit to install, assuming middle of the road mechanical skills?

Very easy install and no need to drain the oil, just put the bike on its side.  My bike looked just like Force0321's in his Rekluse install post above.

1. Remove skid plate
  2. Lay bike over
  3. Remove oil filter cover, let it hang out of the way
  4. Remove peg mount leaving the rear brake attached and let it hang down. Only 2 lower bolts, and the one 19mm swing-arm pivot bolt (it is not a through pivot bolt)
  5. Remove all the bolts around the clutch case cover and pull it straight off.
  6. Remove the one small bolt holding the shift detent arm on
  7. Replace detent arm and spring with new unit.
  8. Reverse the steps and done!

I made the mistake of thinking I could get the case cover off without removing anything else, but the brake lever and peg mount were in the way.  In total maybe a 45 minute install, and I didn't even get my shirt oily.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2017 at 7:20 PM, MotoX178 said:

Very easy install and no need to drain the oil, just put the bike on its side.  My bike looked just like Force0321's in his Rekluse install post above.

1. Remove skid plate
  2. Lay bike over
  3. Remove oil filter cover, let it hang out of the way
  4. Remove peg mount leaving the rear brake attached and let it hang down. Only 2 lower bolts, and the one 19mm swing-arm pivot bolt (it is not a through pivot bolt)
  5. Remove all the bolts around the clutch case cover and pull it straight off.
  6. Remove the one small bolt holding the shift detent arm on
  7. Replace detent arm and spring with new unit.
  8. Reverse the steps and done!

I made the mistake of thinking I could get the case cover off without removing anything else, but the brake lever and peg mount were in the way.  In total maybe a 45 minute install, and I didn't even get my shirt oily.

Nice!

As I had my bike laid over and was staring at the clutch, I noticed the shift arm. At the time I was wishing I would have ordered the shift kit to install while I had everything apart. You should have installed a Rekluse while you had it apart!!! ?

next time!

• Like 1

KTM shop where I work part time( after I get off my normal job) got my Seat Concepts seat in finally (Last Tuesday)

After talking to a SC rep, I ordered the seat for a 2008-2011 690 Enduro. I was told it was 1/2" lower than the stock 2017 seat. And, all the 690 seat pans are the same. So they will fit any model year.  I ordered the carbon fiber sides with gripper top, Orange stitching.

The SC seat comes with a new screw and washer for the front mounting point on your 690. Be warned that the stock screw is super tight and I had to use visegrips to get it out! I put the new seat on at the dealer and rode the bike home. The SC seat is shorter than stock! (not sure by how much, but it's noticeable) Good news for those of us that are vertically challenged! 

The SC seat pan appears to be made of a lot better material than the composite crap that the stock pan is made from. It is heavier and more of an injected molded plastic. The seat cover material of the SC seat is also a lot heavier material than the stock seat cover.

It's also more comfortable than the stock seat, but the foam feels a bit harder than stock right now. I'm sure it will soften with use. The SC seat is wider and flatter toward the rear of the seat, allowing weight to be more evenly distributed. No more wiggling around trying to get comfortable! 

If your tired of your uncomfortable stock seat, give the SC a try. It's worth every penny!

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

IMG_3734.JPG

IMG_3735.JPG

IMG_3736.JPG

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Force0321 said:

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

What tank bag are you running?  Anymore pictures?

I am looking for something smaller than the massive KTM branded bag the previous owner had on my bike.  Looks like yours sits pretty far forward and isn't too intrusive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoX178 said:

What tank bag are you running?  Anymore pictures?

I am looking for something smaller than the massive KTM branded bag the previous owner had on my bike.  Looks like yours sits pretty far forward and isn't too intrusive.

Its a Wolfman Enduro..Love it. Holds tons of junk and it's not to big.

ill get more pictures tomorrow for ya. I've got one on my Honda LRP also.

IMG_3661.thumb.JPG.7ca69a62e207290a87ce07b6c2b5d93b.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Force0321 said:

Its a Wolfman Enduro..Love it. Holds tons of junk and it's not to big.

ill get more pictures tomorrow for ya. I've got one on my Honda LRP also.

IMG_3661.thumb.JPG.7ca69a62e207290a87ce07b6c2b5d93b.JPG

IMG_3468.JPG

Perfect, that looks to be exactly what I was looking for.  Seeing it on the bike helps, especially before ordering.  Thank you!

• Like 2

I installed an SW Motech rack. Now I just need to decide on what tail bag to run. I really like how this rack fits and the built-in grab handles. It's a little on the small side, but that's ok... I sold my big ADV bike b/c I wanted to go smaller. About the only thing that sucks is that you need to drill 15mm holes in the plastic, but I couldn't find a 15mm drill bit anywhere. I ended up having to buy a 9/16" for 15 bucks that worked, but it makes everything fit very snug, so you have to leave the rack bolts and the side panel/rear fender bolts loose to thread them in. Otherwise it's a little challenging to line up all the holes perfectly. It's no biggie and I suspect that after I run the rack for a bit, it will "settle" into the plastics. 

20171001_190044[1].jpg

20171001_190249[1].jpg

• Like 3

I installed a Flatland Racing Skid Plate a bit a go, but finally got my review of it on the site at:
https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/42853-flatland-racing-skid-plate/

Give it a read if you're still wondering what skidplate to buy for your KTM 690 / Husqvarna 701. Or, if you're running this product, add your review. We'd love to hear your experiences.

20170808_180012[1].jpg

20170808_180050[2].jpg

• Like 2

What did I do to the Husky 701 today? I broke it (again)! Take a look, so you don't end-up needing a trail fix like I did: 

1 hour ago, sclaus said:

What did I do to the Husky 701 today? I broke it (again)! Take a look, so you don't end-up needing a trail fix like I did: 

If you want the best Enduro hand guards you can get, do yourself a favor and get the HDB with the top clamp.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=HDB-100 

I've beat the crap out my Honda LRP with the HDB guards and they haven't moved or bent. The HDB on my 690 have also been tested a few times and work great!

Not sure about the Husky's top clamp measurements, but the 690 Enduro is the 90x38/40mm Bolt Pattern.

With Rox risers it's The 100x38/40mm Bolt Pattern. I bet the Husky is the same

• Like 1

I decided on the Klamath Tail Bag from the folks at http://www.giantloopmoto.com

It's has a zipperless clam shell design with semi-rigid sides so that it holds its shape. It has two main strapping methods (fender hooks or frictions straps) and two forward friction straps to secure to a sub-frame (didn't use). While I've not had a chance to test it, so far the fender hooks onto the taillight holder plastic feel secure.

20171018_111827[1].jpg

• Like 1

On 10/16/2017 at 4:37 PM, Force0321 said:

If you want the best Enduro hand guards you can get, do yourself a favor and get the HDB with the top clamp.

https://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/index.php?app=ecom&ns=catshow&ref=HDB-100 

I've beat the crap out my Honda LRP with the HDB guards and they haven't moved or bent. The HDB on my 690 have also been tested a few times and work great!

Not sure about the Husky's top clamp measurements, but the 690 Enduro is the 90x38/40mm Bolt Pattern.

With Rox risers it's The 100x38/40mm Bolt Pattern. I bet the Husky is the same

Thanks @Force0321 I thought I'd seen most of what is out there, but not HDB. Appreciate the recommendation.

• Like 1

Posting a bit late but my most recent upgrade (2 weeks ago) was the KTM Rally cam install. This was added to complement my Wings exhaust, Rottweiler intake, and PCV. I have a dyno appointment this upcoming week to get the bike tuned for it. I'm having the tuner build me a sea level and high altitude maps since I got the map switch for my PCV.

Will post graphs once I got them!

Initial thoughts on the cam - bit less bottom end (can still do 3rd gear power wheelies), more noticeable midrange, and power doesn't fall off on top anymore. The power rolls on much smoother as well.

• Like 1