Jump to content
Bryan Bosch

The official "What did you do to your 690 Enduro or Husqvarna 701 today?" thread

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Force0321 said:

Still no word from the US distributor for the Xtrig for the 690.

I just e-mailed them again today to see what the hold up is.

I'm about ready to just buy the KTM powerparts # 62004912000, cut off the tab and install it. My suspension just arrived today from Moto Lab and i'll be installing it tonight. Would have been nice to have had the Xtrig to install. I guess I'll have to pull the rear shock again if it ever shows up.

Edit : just got an email back from the US distributor.  Xtrig says 3-4 weeks. 

Crap!

It's always "it will be here the next month".

I gave up, and bought the "Superplush" stainless steel heavy duty rear shock collar ring (54 mm). He has these in stock now, today. (See KTMTwins website for a picture of it, but they show "out of stock").

Heres the URL: www.superplushsuspension.com

Its not in the online catalog, you have to ask for it. But, they got'em.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Suspension back from Moto Lab yesterday. Mailed it on April 30th.

Had it lowered 2", new front and rear springs, seals and SKF bushings. Custom valve work.

Woke up at 2am this morn  (had to pee) went to the shop and installed it before heading to work.

I'll finish putting the bike back together tonight and set sag on the rear tomorrow.( day off work)

I can already tell just from compressing the forks that the valving is way smoother than stock.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 2:50 PM, Bryan Bosch said:

Oh, I did the canisterectomy...

 

I had a good ride on the bike after this mod, including some deep watercrossings and some hot weather. Zero issues, works just fine. Oh, and that 1.2lb weight loss? Amazingly..... unnoticeable. ;)

On 5/19/2018 at 7:57 AM, Force0321 said:

Got my Suspension back from Moto Lab yesterday. Mailed it on April 30th.

Had it lowered 2", new front and rear springs, seals and SKF bushings. Custom valve work.

Woke up at 2am this morn  (had to pee) went to the shop and installed it before heading to work.

I'll finish putting the bike back together tonight and set sag on the rear tomorrow.( day off work)

I can already tell just from compressing the forks that the valving is way smoother than stock.

Any more impressions to share?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Corbin makes a great seat for the 690 R but it is expensive ($500) they fit at their shop to your ass.  It takes about 2 hours of fitting and you can get any of about 100 coverings including leather. I have one on my 690 R and its a great fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I had a good ride on the bike after this mod, including some deep watercrossings and some hot weather. Zero issues, works just fine. Oh, and that 1.2lb weight loss? Amazingly..... unnoticeable. ;)

Any more impressions to share?

Not yet.

Been busy at work. In a Colt M-16 Armorers course this week. Hope to start load/suspension testing in another week or so.

Did have an accident the other day before shortening my kickstand. Was trying to get the damn let side fairing/panel back on and pushed a bit to hard. Bike fell over and landed on a bottle jack. Right on the radiator! ( didn't have the Right side plastic on yet ) Big dent in the right side lower radiator, but thankfully no cracks or leaks.  I've since installed the Flatlands rad guard. Gonna keep an eye on the rad and watch for leaks. a New Radiator retails for $858, but can be found for around $500 ish.

So far, my initial impressions of the suspension from a 20 mile rocky offroad mountain ride are  very good. Rear shock handles the rough stuff way better. Forks are a lot more plush now and don't bounce all over the place. I've set the forks at 24 on comp and rebound for the time being. I set the shock at 15/15 and 2.

Still waiting on the damn Xtrig to arrive at the US distributor. I checked sag last Saturday when I was working at the KTM shop. Came up with 76 with just me on the bike . Once I measure again with all my gear and backpack I should be at around 73. So the shock was set up pretty close to being dead on. I didn't have to adjust any preload. Yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Force0321 said:

Not yet.

Been busy at work. In a Colt M-16 Armorers course this week. Hope to start load/suspension testing in another week or so.

Did have an accident the other day before shortening my kickstand. Was trying to get the damn let side fairing/panel back on and pushed a bit to hard. Bike fell over and landed on a bottle jack. Right on the radiator! ( didn't have the Right side plastic on yet ) Big dent in the right side lower radiator, but thankfully no cracks or leaks.  I've since installed the Flatlands rad guard. Gonna keep an eye on the rad and watch for leaks. a New Radiator retails for $858, but can be found for around $500 ish.

So far, my initial impressions of the suspension from a 20 mile rocky offroad mountain ride are  very good. Rear shock handles the rough stuff way better. Forks are a lot more plush now and don't bounce all over the place. I've set the forks at 24 on comp and rebound for the time being. I set the shock at 15/15 and 2.

Still waiting on the damn Xtrig to arrive at the US distributor. I checked sag last Saturday when I was working at the KTM shop. Came up with 76 with just me on the bike . Once I measure again with all my gear and backpack I should be at around 73. So the shock was set up pretty close to being dead on. I didn't have to adjust any preload. Yet.

This would have been me... ;)

NO6x_f-maxage-0.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bought it, rode it 130 miles of awesome dual sport stuff, chucked it in the dirt on a loose rutted downhill when the rear ABS pogoed the shit out of the chassis lol. What fuse do i pull to kill the rear abs, its dangerous af to a guy who's used to backing it in. 20180602_182746.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Bought it, rode it 130 miles of awesome dual sport stuff, chucked it in the dirt on a loose rutted downhill when the rear ABS pogoed the shit out of the chassis lol. What fuse do i pull to kill the rear abs, its dangerous af to a guy who's used to backing it in. 20180602_182746.jpg

 

1 minute ago, Flagstaff said:

Congrats. :thumbsup: :cheers:

But, of course, orange is faster. :smirk:

You have a mod budget, right? :D

The 690 has a button on the dash to turn off the rear. Check the manual for the fuse. There is also a "dongle" you can buy to manipulate things. I just hit the button EVERY TIME on startup.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally received my seat concept! IMG_2228.JPGLooks great and much softer ride then the stock pan.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 10:30 PM, Flagstaff said:

 

The 690 has a button on the dash to turn off the rear. Check the manual for the fuse. There is also a "dongle" you can buy to manipulate things. I just hit the button EVERY TIME on startup.

The bottom button on the dash on the 690 turns off front and rear ABS. The ABS light will blink when it's turn off. The dongle allows you to turn off rear ABS and have front ABS on only.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Force0321 said:

The bottom button on the dash on the 690 turns off front and rear ABS. The ABS light will blink when it's turn off. The dongle allows you to turn off rear ABS and have front ABS on only.

I do the same. I thought about the dongle, but I don't find pushing and holding the button before I take off to be a trying task. And, I like full ABS on wet roads. However, I have forgotten to turn ABS off and things have gotten real exciting coming hot into a corner and the brake slide I was planning on didn't show up. :smirk:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/2/2018 at 11:49 PM, HeavyRotation said:

Bought it, rode it 130 miles of awesome dual sport stuff, chucked it in the dirt on a loose rutted downhill when the rear ABS pogoed the shit out of the chassis lol. What fuse do i pull to kill the rear abs, its dangerous af to a guy who's used to backing it in. 20180602_182746.jpg

Congrats! Such a nice bike! Like that midrange power surge? 701s are beast from the midrange on up. 

Ok, time to remove the melting look license plate holder and reflectors! Also, if you do the rear signals, these fit up AWESOME and look factory. Pretty much impossible to snap off. Did this mod on a buddy's 701.

3387015.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Installed the Nuetech tubeliss and Pirelli MT-43 on the rear of my 690 yesterday eve.

Install was fairly straight forward and easy. Follow the instructions that come with the tubeliss and watch the install video. The tattoo’d Girl made it seem so easy!

Hardest part was getting the factory Mt-21 off. Kinda stiff.

The Gen2 tubeliss comes with better rim tape. Old type was 1 single wrap of tape. New style uses 3 wraps of the tape.

Inflateing the inner bladder to 100-110 psi was kinda challangeing as every time you use a gauge to check the pressure you lose air. I settled on around 106 psi.

I aired up the main chambers 50 psi to set the bead then dropped pressure to 15 psi. I’ll probably drop to 10 psi for on/off road.

Overall I’m pleased with the tubeliss setup. No leaks at all. Testing and time will tell if I keep it versus the 18” tube. I’ll put it through final testing on my 3 week Offroad ride coming up mid July. I tried my bike pump on the inner bladder to get to 100 psi but it was a no go. I’ll have to source another small hand pump for the trail. I haven’t balanced it yet. Will wait and see how it feels.

 

69E28D6E-219E-4992-9776-9B878F987129.jpeg

DF8E9053-E75E-4A3C-80C5-09A25240D52E.jpeg

8EA9C14F-3560-44F9-B288-66091BEA5529.jpeg

FC38A9DA-87C2-4D65-9CA9-9AABC7986495.jpeg

7F7338F4-F0F5-4852-A9DA-DD875579DA13.jpeg

ECB67651-F1BA-4CB3-8492-7504122CDA14.jpeg

Edited by Force0321
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Force0321 said:

Installed the Nuetech tubeliss and Pirelli MT-43 on the rear of my 690 yesterday eve.

Install was fairly straight forward and easy. Follow the instructions that come with the tubeliss and watch the install video. The tattoo’d Girl made it seem so easy!

Hardest part was getting the factory Mt-21 off. Kinda stiff.

The Gen2 tubeliss comes with better rim tape. Old type was 1 single wrap of tape. New style uses 3 wraps of the tape.

Inflateing the inner bladder to 100-110 psi was kinda challangeing as every time you use a gauge to check the pressure you lose air. I settled on around 106 psi.

I aired up the main chambers 50 psi to set the bead then dropped pressure to 15 psi. I’ll probably drop to 10 psi for on/off road.

Overall I’m pleased with the tubeliss setup. No leaks at all. Testing and time will tell if I keep it versus the 18” tube. I’ll put it through final testing on my 3 week Offroad ride coming up mid July. I tried my bike pump on the inner bladder to get to 100 psi but it was a no go. I’ll have to source another small hand pump for the trail. I haven’t balanced it yet. Will wait and see how it feels.

 

69E28D6E-219E-4992-9776-9B878F987129.jpeg

DF8E9053-E75E-4A3C-80C5-09A25240D52E.jpeg

8EA9C14F-3560-44F9-B288-66091BEA5529.jpeg

FC38A9DA-87C2-4D65-9CA9-9AABC7986495.jpeg

7F7338F4-F0F5-4852-A9DA-DD875579DA13.jpeg

ECB67651-F1BA-4CB3-8492-7504122CDA14.jpeg

What does Nuetech say about longer period of road use? I had these on my KTM 450 and did some riding around town, but never longer runs. Or, maybe that's not how you use the bike? Curious on the potential risks of say, 80 miles of freeway at 70-75 mph. Or, maybe the mfr just didn't want to hassle with getting DOT approval? I personally don't care too much about govt blessing, as I like the system and you got me thinking...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bryan Bosch said:

What does Nuetech say about longer period of road use? I had these on my KTM 450 and did some riding around town, but never longer runs. Or, maybe that's not how you use the bike? Curious on the potential risks of say, 80 miles of freeway at 70-75 mph. Or, maybe the mfr just didn't want to hassle with getting DOT approval? I personally don't care too much about govt blessing, as I like the system and you got me thinking...

Nuetech says “ Offroad use only”  but that is for liability on there part. 

I have read hundreds of tubliss reports of no problems on extended highway trips at freeway speeds. The heat is less with the tubliss than a conventional tube setup. 

This is all dependent on a proper install tho. And keeping the red inner lubed with slime or soapy water. I don’t do freeways and usually ride 2 and 4 lane at 70mph or less. I ride 90% dirt and only ride pavement to get to dirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Congrats! Such a nice bike! Like that midrange power surge? 701s are beast from the midrange on up. 
Ok, time to remove the melting look license plate holder and reflectors! Also, if you do the rear signals, these fit up AWESOME and look factory. Pretty much impossible to snap off. Did this mod on a buddy's 701.
3387015.jpg
 


Surgery for now, 20180607_210838.jpg
And wraps because i don't wanna break that Magura perch and master lol. Plus trees and stuff. 20180607_210850.jpg
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
What does Nuetech say about longer period of road use? I had these on my KTM 450 and did some riding around town, but never longer runs. Or, maybe that's not how you use the bike? Curious on the potential risks of say, 80 miles of freeway at 70-75 mph. Or, maybe the mfr just didn't want to hassle with getting DOT approval? I personally don't care too much about govt blessing, as I like the system and you got me thinking...
I've flogged the drz with front tubliss, no problems. Just like anything motorcycle tire, heat is the enemy, so long as you're safely aired up, it's fine. Balancing can be more difficult though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/6/2018 at 6:21 AM, Force0321 said:

MT-43 on the rear of my 690 yesterday eve.

You don't think the MT-43 is too narrow for a 690? Your the first I have heard using it on a 690. I have the Mountain Hybrid which is sort of a big MT-43. You will find tires like these do not hold well traversing a hill as they are missing any serious side knobs. 

Will be interested in how it hold up the the 690 HP.. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DrKayak said:

You don't think the MT-43 is too narrow for a 690? Your the first I have heard using it on a 690. I have the Mountain Hybrid which is sort of a big MT-43. You will find tires like these do not hold well traversing a hill as they are missing any serious side knobs. 

Will be interested in how it hold up the the 690 HP.. :thumbsup:

No I don’t think it’s to narrow for the 690 rim. Time will tell if it lasts on the 690. I’ll be happy if I can get 2k miles out of it. 

Balanced the tire/tubliss combo the other day and ran it to work this morn at speeds up to 85. Very smooth.

Dont plan on doing any sidehill riding with the 690. Have smaller bikes set up for single track. I have the same tire on a Honda crf 250 and have zero problems on any trail with it, other than deeper mud. 

Edited by Force0321

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×