Jump to content
Bryan Bosch

The official "What did you do to your 690 Enduro or Husqvarna 701 today?" thread

Recommended Posts

Got my '17 701 about 3 weeks ago. Since I knew I was going to do all the mods anyway, I decided to just do them all at once. Except for the abs dongle, I'm pretty much done. 

seat concepts seat

flatlands skid plate

HBD hand guards w/ mirrors

real footpegs for my passenger (I ride 2 up a lot)

headlight guard (sorry honey, had to steal the soap dish out of the bathroom)

Prerun rack

wings exhaust

14/50 gearing.. new chain to add links

tires - Goldentyre fatty front/Scorpion rear (although the thing is 2/3 worn out and only 500 miles on the bike). Fatty doing great.

Scotts steering damper

my garmin gps mount

3M clear sheet over the side plastics. Unfortunately, they got a little buffed on the first ride (3 days in Death Valley, CA) before I put the protective stickers

 

IMG_6211-X2.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Todd157k said:

Got my '17 701 about 3 weeks ago. Since I knew I was going to do all the mods anyway, I decided to just do them all at once. Except for the abs dongle, I'm pretty much done. 

seat concepts seat

flatlands skid plate

HBD hand guards w/ mirrors

real footpegs for my passenger (I ride 2 up a lot)

headlight guard (sorry honey, had to steal the soap dish out of the bathroom)

Prerun rack

wings exhaust

14/50 gearing.. new chain to add links

tires - Goldentyre fatty front/Scorpion rear (although the thing is 2/3 worn out and only 500 miles on the bike). Fatty doing great.

Scotts steering damper

my garmin gps mount

3M clear sheet over the side plastics. Unfortunately, they got a little buffed on the first ride (3 days in Death Valley, CA) before I put the protective stickers

 

 

Boy, you didn't waste any time brother! :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 10:19 PM, MotoX178 said:

Finally gave the 690 some love and installed Fasst Impact Adventure Pegs, Perun Heel Guards, Perun Luggage Rack, and Factory Pro Detent Arm Shift Kit.  Also, have some TKC 80 tires I need to mount.

Just relocated to North Carolina and looking forward to getting out to the mountains and hopefully doing some camping as well.  The rack and heel guards should provide much better mounting for my Giant Loop Coyote Saddlebag.

 

20170921_172052.jpg

20170922_193824.jpg

20170922_193843.jpg

I grabbed a Factory Pro shift kit, so I'm preppin' for install. Q: did you need to replace the clutch cover gasket? Not sure how realistic it is to get the cover off w/o it tearing. Thoughts? What was your experience?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Bryan Bosch said:

I grabbed a Factory Pro shift kit, so I'm preppin' for install. Q: did you need to replace the clutch cover gasket? Not sure how realistic it is to get the cover off w/o it tearing. Thoughts? What was your experience?

I probably could have reused the stock gasket without issue but had a replacement on hand and installed for piece of mind.  I was also worried about it tearing on disassembly, but I had no issue.  Surprisingly the OEM replacement was only $10.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MotoX178 said:

I probably could have reused the stock gasket without issue but had a replacement on hand and installed for piece of mind.  I was also worried about it tearing on disassembly, but I had no issue.  Surprisingly the OEM replacement was only $10.

Snagged one for 10 & change from RMATV. Called the local dealer. What a waste of time. I held longer than it took me to order one online and for less money. I had the delusion that my local dealer might have one sitting in stock. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/22/2017 at 10:19 PM, MotoX178 said:

Finally gave the 690 some love and installed Fasst Impact Adventure Pegs, Perun Heel Guards, Perun Luggage Rack, and Factory Pro Detent Arm Shift Kit.  Also, have some TKC 80 tires I need to mount.

 

20170922_193843.jpg

Got mine installed yesterday. It definitely clicks into gear from neutral, it's easier to find neutral, and on limited tested, more positive engagement. But, need to get it out on the trails and flog it a bit.

How's it been working  for you so far? 

Boy, getting some torque specs is impossible. The kit has no specs for the detent arm bolt, I can't find them in the factory repair manual, and my dealer, an Orange Race Shop didn't know for sure. The clutch cover bolts are 7.4ftlbs, but the dealer felt that was a bit light. They said 10, so I sort of split the diff at 9ftlbs. with blue loctite. Do you recall what you did?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm getting cabin fever here in Il!  I wasn't planning on changing the stock muffler but ended up buying this pipe.  It came with a plug to help reduce noise so I also installed the plug.  The install was very easy and I must say it has a nice sound once you fire up the bike.   

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

IMG_1917(1).jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes - it came with an SA insert that you install. I didn’t weight it but the site mentions a two pound savings and yes it’s long. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Loving this thread for fellow TT'ers reviews and recommendations.

Couple questions for you guys, feel silly for asking, but what good does the little brake cable do?

My dilemma is when riding 2 up, she says that the stock rear handles aren't pleasant to sit around/on. Been thinking about removing them and possibly adding a rack with a rear bag to store our stuff, also if not going to break the bank, adding in a more comfortable seat. Any ideas/recommendations?

Thank you!



Just relocated to North Carolina and looking forward to getting out to the mountains and hopefully doing some camping as well.  The rack and heel guards should provide much better mounting for my Giant Loop Coyote Saddlebag.


Whereabouts in NC? Just very recently relocated myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NoFearCRF450 said:

Loving this thread for fellow TT'ers reviews and recommendations.

Couple questions for you guys, feel silly for asking, but what good does the little brake cable do?

My dilemma is when riding 2 up, she says that the stock rear handles aren't pleasant to sit around/on. Been thinking about removing them and possibly adding a rack with a rear bag to store our stuff, also if not going to break the bank, adding in a more comfortable seat. Any ideas/recommendations?

Thank you!

 

 


Whereabouts in NC? Just very recently relocated myself.

 

No brake cable, all hydraulics, with a few extra lines for the ABS.

All kinds of racks available, I got a Tusk from RMATV. It's larger than some. I run errands on my bikes and it will handle a 30. Less than $100 I think.

I've been happy with my factory seat, but the consensus seems to be Seat Concepts for the aftermarket. Less than $300 I think.

It's not really a 2 up bike.

Edit: I think the "little brake cable" you are referring to is the wheel speed sensor. ABS.

Edited by Flagstaff
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Flagstaff said:

No brake cable, all hydraulics, with a few extra lines for the ABS.

All kinds of racks available, I got a Tusk from RMATV. It's larger than some. I run errands on my bikes and it will handle a 30. Less than $100 I think.

I've been happy with my factory seat, but the consensus seems to be Seat Concepts for the aftermarket. Less than $300 I think.

It's not really a 2 up bike.

Edit: I think the "little brake cable" you are referring to is the wheel speed sensor. ABS.

I was thinking he meant the Brake snake cable gadget for the rear brake pedal, maybe.

I also have the tusk rear rack, and pannier racks. Excellent quality. Always buy my stuff from RMATV also!

And +100 on the seat concepts seat!  Way more comfortable than the stock seat plus, the seat pan material is worlds better than the KTM recycled junk pan. The Stock seat pan is way to brittle. Mine cracked in several places already on my 2017. Went to the SC seat. The SC seat is also able to be re-covered/re-built. Can't staple into the stock pan without it breaking.

Agree on the " not really a 2 up bike".  Buy her a bike of her own!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Force0321 said:

I was thinking he meant the Brake snake cable gadget for the rear brake pedal, maybe.

I also have the tusk rear rack, and pannier racks. Excellent quality. Always buy my stuff from RMATV also!

And +100 on the seat concepts seat!  Way more comfortable than the stock seat plus, the seat pan material is worlds better than the KTM recycled junk pan. The Stock seat pan is way to brittle. Mine cracked in several places already on my 2017. Went to the SC seat. The SC seat is also able to be re-covered/re-built. Can't staple into the stock pan without it breaking.

Agree on the " not really a 2 up bike".  Buy her a bike of her own!

Yeah, I was referring to the 'brake snake' cable that goes from the brake pedal and appears to attach to a skid plate in one of the earlier posted pictures. Just watched a YT video explaining it's purpose (as obviously I have never known before). It makes sense now. Thank you guys! Currently have my seat off for some maintenance time, and checked last night to verify that I do still have the bumpers at this time. Maybe a year or so ago, I had found one loose but quickly tightening it up. The only issue I am reporting with the seat is up by the head where it seats into the bolt on the frame is broken on one side. Not sure how common that is, but it's interesting considering I baby this bike and for that to snap says alot.

She actually does have her own bike. However, it's a dirt bike and not streetable. Considering all the a-holes out there, I'm good with that LOL

 

 

4 minutes ago, MotoX178 said:

I'm in the Charlotte area now.

 

Nice, your just about an hour away as I'm in Winston Salem.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NoFearCRF450 said:

Yeah, I was referring to the 'brake snake' cable that goes from the brake pedal and appears to attach to a skid plate in one of the earlier posted pictures. Just watched a YT video explaining it's purpose (as obviously I have never known before). It makes sense now. Thank you guys! Currently have my seat off for some maintenance time, and checked last night to verify that I do still have the bumpers at this time. Maybe a year or so ago, I had found one loose but quickly tightening it up. The only issue I am reporting with the seat is up by the head where it seats into the bolt on the frame is broken on one side. Not sure how common that is, but it's interesting considering I baby this bike and for that to snap says alot.

She actually does have her own bike. However, it's a dirt bike and not streetable. Considering all the a-holes out there, I'm good with that LOL

 

 

Nice, your just about an hour away as I'm in Winston Salem.

I seem to destroy a seat bumper every time i take the seat off. Seat concept sent me a bag of bumpers for free. But, the rubber compound seems to be kinda brittle. The little rubber tits

( for lack of a better word) on the bumpers seem to break off constantly, and end up in the bumper hole in the seat pan.

That's exactly where my seat started breaking. The Seat Concepts seat is built way, way better than the stock KTM seat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...