Net Clarke Tank Capacity

Just wondering if anyone knows how much gas is left in the Clarke tank (3.9 gallon/14.75L) after running out - including the reserve. I have the stock petcock in it. I'm trying to figure out what the net capacity of the tank is. I know my bike's average mileage and I am trying to calculate it's range. Thanks in advance!

Hey Frank, sorry I don't have your answer for ya, but I'd drain it completely out and then see how much it takes to fill it.  Or in my case with my Roto-pax on the back of my bike, I've run my stock tank to reserve (160-175 kms.) then (40-50kms.) on reserve and even 6 more kms. by tipping the bike on it's side to get the bit of gas over from the right side. lol

Where you headed off to ?

1 hour ago, Frankfurter said:

Just wondering if anyone knows how much gas is left in the Clarke tank (3.9 gallon/14.75L) after running out - including the reserve. I have the stock petcock in it. I'm trying to figure out what the net capacity of the tank is. I know my bike's average mileage and I am trying to calculate it's range. Thanks in advance!

In-Shuck-ch FRS from Harrison then back down the FSR on the west side of Fraser Canyon. I know I can do the Fraser Canyon, but I'm not sure of the Harrison/Lillooet side.

I have a Clarke 3.9 with the oem vacuum petcock and if you lay the bike down on the left side up a slight incline after you hit reserve you'll be able to use all but a few ounces.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Frankfurter said:

In-Shuck-ch FRS from Harrison then back down the FSR on the west side of Fraser Canyon. I know I can do the Fraser Canyon, but I'm not sure of the Harrison/Lillooet side.

There's a gas station on the Chehalis IR on the way to the bottom of Harrison lake. I filled up there and made it all the way to Pemperton without my stock tank running dry, you should be golden with your Clarke. The west side of the Frasier canyon between Lyton and Boston bar is one of my favorite rides, enjoy !!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bucket list said:

There's a gas station on the Chehalis IR on the way to the bottom of Harrison lake. I filled up there and made it all the way to Pemperton without my stock tank running dry, you should be golden with your Clarke. The west side of the Frasier canyon between Lyton and Boston bar is one of my favorite rides, enjoy !!!

Thanks for the heads up on the gas station! I figured the distance between the gas stations I saw was about 190 kms. I think I can make about 230 with the Clarke based on the mileage I've been getting and assuming I can get all but around a litre of fuel out (a conservative estimate to be safe), so I'm not too worried. Only if I take a wrong turn ...

14 hours ago, Frankfurter said:

Thanks for the heads up on the gas station! I figured the distance between the gas stations I saw was about 190 kms. I think I can make about 230 with the Clarke based on the mileage I've been getting and assuming I can get all but around a litre of fuel out (a conservative estimate to be safe), so I'm not too worried. Only if I take a wrong turn ...

No need to make a wrong turn. You got a GPS and a backroads nav. app for your phone?

I draw my route on laptop, load the gpx file into my Trailtech Voyager for turn by turn nav. and the backroad maps on my phone for the "big picture".

On 2017-05-25 at 0:23 PM, bucket list said:

No need to make a wrong turn. You got a GPS and a backroads nav. app for your phone?

I draw my route on laptop, load the gpx file into my Trailtech Voyager for turn by turn nav. and the backroad maps on my phone for the "big picture".

Mission accomplished. 200kms from station to station and it used 9 litres to do it . It was pretty much a gravel highway the whole way - a bit of a disappointment, but still way better than riding pavement. I have an app for my phone call TopoMaps. It's quite robust. No turn by turn though. I have a TomTom GPS, but I find the GPS in the iPhone is more accurate - within a couple meters usually. I can make KML files in Google Earth and import them to TopoMaps, but the app is loaded with tons of roads and trails. Google Maps works well for the street and it's turn by turn is more robust than the TomTom. I really only use the TomTom when I'm travelling outside my cell coverage area. (TopoMaps doesn't need cell service)

I really like my Clarke tank, holds closer to 16 litres. The caps are a bit cheapo, (easily overtightened) but the remainder is great. Nothing beats the safety and worry-free luxury of L O N G range!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, shuswap1 said:

I really like my Clarke tank, holds closer to 16 litres. The caps are a bit cheapo, (easily overtightened) but the remainder is great. Nothing beats the safety and worry-free luxury of L O N G range!

I went to a Honda xr600r oem gas cap eons ago for my Clarke 3.9 and haven't had a lick of trouble since.The standard Clarke caps are garbage.

• Like 1

I have a Clarke cap, but it isn't what is on my tank. The other one, has a large, solid breather in it. The Clarke doesn't.

Clarke:

4abe9593d6ffeb41fa4a4a786a036ea1.jpg

2210693a1eeff53b6bfeef0524607933.jpg

Other:

e7d5024e381f00e69438bab5e4a026fc.jpg

062734c4eb535189918f8a009e081184.jpg

Comparison, Clarke on the right:

218f80585c82077a273b9466a4b29931.jpg