125 intake/exhaust ports

I have a 1997 kx 125 and i bought a new piston, rings, gaskets and whatnot for it but i bought it to match the vin year which is 2001. The piston is the same diameter but i was wo dering if anyone knew whether the intake and exhaust ports would be different. Any help is much appreciated because id like to know if it'll work before i pull it all apart

The ports are cast into the cylinder/barrel, and are not changeable. If the new piston spec matches the current on you're running then it's self explanatory. Perhaps I'm missing something, but you're answered your own question in your question.

The ports are cast into the cylinder/barrel, and are not changeable. If the new piston spec matches the current on you're running then it's self explanatory. Perhaps I'm missing something, but you're answered your own question in your question.

I was just wondering if the 2001 piston would work in the 97 cylinder. But im assuming both cylinders have the same port positions?

The head on the '96-'98 KX125's match, but the '01 model cylinder is unique to that year according to Kawasaki. Also, the '96-'97 pistons match, as do the '01-'02 pistons, but the '97 doesn't match the '01 apparently. This information is all based on Kawasaki part numbers but not specs. Comparing actual specs you may find the interchangeable. I'd look into that more and see what you can find.

The head on the '96-'98 KX125's match, but the '01 model cylinder is unique to that year according to Kawasaki. Also, the '96-'97 pistons match, as do the '01-'02 pistons, but the '97 doesn't match the '01 apparently. This information is all based on Kawasaki part numbers but not specs. Comparing actual specs you may find the interchangeable. I'd look into that more and see what you can find.

Okay thanks man i just wanted to get some knowledge of what to expect when i take that ole pig apart

I can understand your worry because it's harder to find bits for the older bikes - that said, I found a Vertex (great aftermarket pistons for OEM spec replacement). Here the '97 option: https://goo.gl/R1fwMs

Thank you very much man