Jump to content

Lithium ion battery in the drz- not the Shorai LiFe

Recommended Posts

It has become apparent my battery needs to be replaced.

Rmatv has a $99 Litium Ion battery spec'd for the drz.  I did the search and most responses were from ktm and atv guys, or about 7 years old on drz pages.

 

Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with the Tusk Li batteries on the DRZ?

 

Seems like a great way to drop 3or4 pounds off the bike for $50 more than I'd spend anyway.

Edited by notime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the Battery Tender 120cca lithium battery. I think it was $90 from Motosport. It's a good bit smaller and weights next to nothing. I used foam to fit it snug in the battery box. My exhaust cam doesn't have a compression release and it spins my 12.1:1 434 big bore. My old Bike Master battery couldn't get it past TDC.
Lithium batteries are the way to go unless you live and ride in colder climates.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Inside the case, the batteries are all the same, Chinese A123 cells. What makes them different is if there is under/over discharge/charge circuity and over heating protection. The Tuisk battery has a two year limited pro-rated warranty and no description of any details. Contact them for specifics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ohiodrz400sm said:

I have the Battery Tender 120cca lithium battery. I think it was $90 from Motosport. It's a good bit smaller and weights next to nothing. I used foam to fit it snug in the battery box. My exhaust cam doesn't have a compression release and it spins my 12.1:1 434 big bore. My old Bike Master battery couldn't get it past TDC.
Lithium batteries are the way to go unless you live and ride in colder climates.

I have the BT120 too. It is bulletproof inside and out................................. :thumbsup:

IMG_20160612_105849.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DRZ charging system seems to work with Li Fe batteries.   One caution is never fully discharge these batteries, they never come back like lead acid.

Other than the price, the lower weight is nice.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I found that a Battery Tender Plus(#021-128) and not the Jr. model,will safely recharge a LiFePo4 battery back to health if it shows at least 1 volt.From what I understand this charger doesn't have a built in desulfator.This was before the dedicated lithium charger model they have out now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Shorai LFX14A2-BS12. I wasn't aware that Battery Tender BT120 would work on our bikes. Bonus, it's smaller, lighter and less expensive than the Shorai.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gary in NJ said:

Thanks for starting this thread. I was just about to pull the trigger on the Shorai LFX14A2-BS12. I wasn't aware that Battery Tender BT120 would work on our bikes. Bonus, it's smaller, lighter and less expensive than the Shorai.

I let mine go completely dead about three years ago and it still works fine today. Didn't realize it needed the charger that runs about .2 volts higher than the standard Battery Tender charger. So it took about two years to figure out that the regular charger wasn't doing it, probably because the Lithium Ferrite batteries don't discharge themselves as badly as lead acid.

The BT 240 turns over my 955 Daytona with authority. It replaces a battery that weighed well over 10 pounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been trying to find a decent price on a higher then oem cca for a while now in Canada. My 470 does not want to start on the stock battery, unless it's completely full. 

I can't find one that isn't like $300. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've been trying to find a decent price on a higher then oem cca for a while now in Canada. My 470 does not want to start on the stock battery, unless it's completely full. 
I can't find one that isn't like $300. 

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/dtn-btl14a240c?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-battery-tender&gclid=CjwKEAjwgZrJBRDS38GH1Kv_vGYSJAD8j4Df22gpU2-y-s3vZcRIqkF94yXNzz3lLNfN3_pwrtgdJxoCNC3w_wcB
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:

Unfortunately I just entered my information and they will not ship to Canada. I will try and look for it on another site, thanks. That's been part of my issue in finding one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Unfortunately I just entered my information and they will not ship to Canada. I will try and look for it on another site, thanks. That's been part of my issue in finding one. 

That was just the first of 20 listings that popped up. Amazon is where I bought mine.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Backwoods-Bomber said:


That was just the first of 20 listings that popped up. Amazon is where I bought mine.

I just found it on FortNine, a canadian site, it's $200. I'm currently thinking about pulling the trigger. Is this quality and is 240 enough for a high comp bb/stroker? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I just found it on FortNine, a canadian site, it's $200. I'm currently thinking about pulling the trigger. Is this quality and is 240 enough for a high comp bb/stroker? 

It is effortless to spin my 434 hi comp. Most just buy the 120 amp model for big bores but I figured I wanted extra insurance considering that mine ends up upside down on occasion. It literally starts as soon as I touch the button.

Only word of caution is that they do not start the bike under 35 degrees Fahrenheit. I installed a kicker for that purpose.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:


It is effortless to spin my 434 hi comp. Most just buy the 120 amp model for big bores but I figured I wanted extra insurance considering that mine ends up upside down on occasion. It literally starts as soon as I touch the button.

Only word of caution is that they do not start the bike under 35 degrees Fahrenheit. I installed a kicker for that purpose.

Thanks a lot I think I will go for it. I don't ride when it's 0c out so not a problem. Are the batteries in operation condition when they arrive so I can just put it on my bike or do they need to be pre charged and conditioned in anyway? I only have a lead battery tender at the moment.

Thanks for all your help.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thanks a lot I think I will go for it. I don't ride when it's 0c out so not a problem. Are the batteries in operation condition when they arrive so I can just put it on my bike or do they need to be pre charged and conditioned in anyway? I only have a lead battery tender at the moment.
Thanks for all your help.
 

I only had a tender Jr for lead acid when I got mine. I plugged it in and in the morning the light was green. I used that tender for two weeks until the lithium specific tender arrived. No special process was required.

If you read above, you will see that@bermudacat ran his for years on the lead acid tender before having problems.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Backwoods-Bomber said:


I only had a tender Jr for lead acid when I got mine. I plugged it in and in the morning the light was green. I used that tender for two weeks until the lithium specific tender arrived. No special process was required.

If you read above, you will see that@bermudacat ran his for years on the lead acid tender before having problems.

I just found the 240 battery tender model on eBay for $150CAD. Jumped on it! Excited my bike will actually be able to start when I stall it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×