Looking at an XR650R with 8k miles on it this weekend.

hey all.
All being well am going to look at a 650R this weekend with 8k miles on it.
Just wondering, is 8k quite a bit on these? Don't know much about them so was wondering what sort of mileage things need looking at or are they pretty bullet proof up to higher mileages?

I know a lot depends on how its been ridden and maintained, just after ball park figures.
I know 8k miles aint bugger all in the scheme of things for most bikes but as I said, don't know much about these, figure with them being race orientated bikes they have much higher service schedules?

Cheers.

Richy.

As long as it had oil of some kind in it from the beginning.
And was better treated than a garden shovel, it should be early in it's life...
The bottom ends on the 650 go for a long long time, especially compared to modern short stroke 4t's.
Top end you may actually have to do one in your lifetime...

6 hours ago, bork said:

yup has stock odo. Its a requirement here in uk.

so i shouldn't even need to think about worrying about the top end then? just look out for a bit of smoke and the usual things?

Been waiting for another XR for so frikkin' long. Been literally dreaming of getting a 650r for the last 10 years lol.

First thing I do will be uncorking it when I get it, What main and idle jet will I need? I will get them ordered :)
I'm pretty much at sea level here in the UK.

Got the bike this afternoon :)

Just went out for an hour an hammered some local back roads.

26ph.jpg

Wanted one of these for SOOO long and to finally get one... It's everything I hoped it would be. And more!
I've ridden lots of bikes and currently have two other litre bikes as well, but none have made me gurn and grin like a lunatic as much as this one does.
Its just such a hooligan enabler lol.

Wheelies in 3'rd and 4'th. Lol. Yeah it's gotta be uncorked. Might even be modded, the grunt this thing has got is frikkin insane.
Was out with a mate on a VFR750 and he was having serious difficulty keeping up, he couldnt even touch me till silly speeds when the 650r starts running out of puff. Got an old airfield near me, apparently mine is topping out around 110mph.
doesnt even hesitate to get there either.

Cant wait for tomorrow for some proper riding, wont be able to sleep tonight lol.
Bring it on.

Sl78Wf.jpg

Edited by Deepsky
  • Like 3

be aware...that these bikes had valve issues,,,check the adjustment now...and keep an eye on it,,if it starts getting tight every time you check them then you are going to have an issue..

the OE valves are know for wearing quickly,,the adjustment gets tight,,you adjust them and in a short time they are tight again,,,what eventually happens is the valve wears up and into the seat and gets razor sharp on the margin,,,then awhile after the valve head breaks off and firmly plants itself in the piston crown,,nuking the top end..

no need to realy worry if you keep your eye out for it,,,if you need frequent valve adjustments just pull the head and install new valves and 3 angle cut the seats...

also you may wanna read up on the right footpeg bolt coming loose and falling off...which can nut you when it leaves the bike,,:lol:

B

Edited by brianhare

:huh:

Thanks, got me worried now lol.

Will keep an eye on em.