Drz400 coolant weeping, need help identifying the part

I got a 2001 drz400s it's weeping coolant from the neck that connects radiator to the engine. What part do I need to replace?Image1495663034.409645.thumb.jpg.9f4da28b4191342840b61f1fee855c2d.jpg

a gasket maybe? its hard to say until you open it up, hopefully the neck isnt corroded away or something, ive seen that before, but you have to look ..

2 hours ago, bumtarder said:

Look in the parts fiche,I believe it's just a rubber o-ring like seal but I can't remember if it's part of the thermostat or not.

Yes, it' a separate rubber sealing ring that goes around the thermostat and fits into groove in the head.

Yes, it' a separate rubber sealing ring that goes around the thermostat and fits into groove in the head.

Sweet! Thanks guys I'll look for that right now let you know what I find!

By the way,there is an air bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing.It has a very small aluminum sealing washer to it so make sure it's there and don't loose that washer whatever you do.There's also a sealing washer to the drain screw on the water pump housing too and it will leak if that sealing washer is not in place.These screws are small so don't go overboard on tightening them.Snug is good.

By the way,there is an air bleed screw on top of the thermostat housing.It has a very small aluminum sealing washer to it so make sure it's there and don't loose that washer whatever you do.There's also a sealing washer to the drain screw on the water pump housing too and it will leak if that sealing washer is not in place.These screws are small so don't go overboard on tightening them.Snug is good.

I found one seal called the thermostat cover seal part number 17664-30B00 is that the part to replace? IMG_4916.JPG number 17 is the part

You've got the wrong fiche there bud.I'm showing 17670-33400 for a '01 S model and it is part of the thermostat assembly.Your reference looks like a old E model,which doesn't use a t-stat.

You've got the wrong fiche there bud.I'm showing 17670-33400 for a '01 S model and it is part of the thermostat assembly.Your reference looks like a old E model,which doesn't use a t-stat.

For some reason on partshouse.com when I use that part number it shows up as "thermostat,water" I just need the seal I think right? It's a small weep. And sorry if I seem dumb pretty new to drz's and motorcycles. :)

I really don't know if the one from an old E model will work or not but on a S/SM model the seal is sold as part of the thermostat assembly.I haven't checked my E model for compatibility but I do remember the last time I was in there on my SM model it was part of the thermostat.That's all I know,sorry.

Here is the reference that I used for a '01 S model;

http://www.partsfish.com/oemparts/a/suz/50d3aefdf8700220d0b728c5/cylinder-head

Edited by bumtarder

14 hours ago, Cmrnjw said:

I got a 2001 drz400s it's weeping coolant from the neck that connects radiator to the engine. What part do I need to replace?Image1495663034.409645.thumb.jpg.9f4da28b4191342840b61f1fee855c2d.jpg

It's a two man job.

Unscrew the gas cap. Roll bike out from under gas cap, while someone holds the gas cap steady, in place.

Carefully roll a Yamaha under the gas cap. Install gas cap.  

Estimated repair time: 5 minutes.

It's a two man job.
Unscrew the gas cap. Roll bike out from under gas cap, while someone holds the gas cap steady, in place.
Carefully roll a Yamaha under the gas cap. Install gas cap.  
Estimated repair time: 5 minutes.

Thanks man seems legit.