DRZ400E overheating and throttle problem

Hey guys. First time posting but always use the great nfo on the this page. 

I crashed my drz about 2 years ago and I didn't notice any physical damage except a bent handlebar and some scratches. Didn't ride it again as I moved countries for 2 years. Just got back and wanted to get it started again. Did an oil change, changed handle bars, changed the battery, got most of the old fuel out (I think) and refueled it. 

Started it up no problem with the choke and it sounded fine. However it would stall if i took the choke off or tried to use the throttle. So i let it warm up for a bit. Come back to the bike and it's shooting out coolant and steam from the bottom hose of the bike. Changed the coolant thinking it may be old coolant. Now I'm scared to let it run for a while to see if it will overheat again. Still the same problem with the choke and throttle.  

Anyone have an idea of the problem? 

Cheers 

Bike without radiator fans will overheat when stationary,, no airflow. 

May have a slight blockage in a jet , which could also make it run a bit hot too , ie lean.

• Like 1

2 different problems most likely

clean the carb so it will run properly

then

make sure the hose is not cracked at the end or too loose or too tight

Take the radiator cap off and start the bike see if coolant is circulating.

If it is over heating it will boil over into the overflow not from the bottom hose unless you have a blockage.

if its not circulating, time to check the water pump.

Edited by Melkor
because i am illeterate
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info. Trying to find out the problem but it's out of my mechanical knowledge.  Might just have to take it in and get a serious service on the bike... it's been a while :/ 

Cheers guys.