Chain sliders

So being a machinist for 25 years I always look at things and see how I can make them better. cost not usually being a factor. I'm thinking on building some chain sliders with the stock cage out of nylotron gsm blue. Look it up if you get a chance and let me know what you think. Pretty sure these would almost last forever. The material is kind of expensive but having my own cnc mill I might be able to make a few. I only have the dimensions for my 05 crf450x and that's what I'll start with.

This engineering note doesn't seem to bode well for use on a bike:

"Nylons can absorb up to 7% (by weight) water under high humidity or submerged in water. This can result in dimensional changes up to 2% and a corresponding reduction of physical properties. Proper design techniques can frequently compensate for this factor."

Jim.

I've read that. I build large 6 foot dia cable sheaves for use in amusement park rides. And some that are much smaller. These are all exposed to the elements and even large cables (1.5 in) doesn't seem to touch these even after years of service. Pretty tough stuff

I was thinking more towards the dimensional change.   The "reduction of physical properties" was also non-specific, and could be anything from not being quite as firctionless to literally falling apart.

Just sounded like it was really not intended to be used in places where water was present.   I have no experience with it though, and you obviously have quite a bit.

Jim.

Your probably right. It's quite hard also. Most parts I make are drilled and tapped. Maybe better to find something you can't cut threads into.
It wouldn't be able to take a hit.

Good point on the hardness given the application.  Sounds like it might crack if it took a hit.

Jim.

I say make a couple and try them out. If you want send one to me I'll put it on my bike and let you know how it goes. You'll never know unless you give it a try. Good luck on what ever you decide on.

• Like 2

There's tons of stuff to use so I'll find something. And let everyone know. Just fun doing different stuff

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 10:10 AM, smustang said:

I say make a couple and try them out. If you want send one to me I'll put it on my bike and let you know how it goes. You'll never know unless you give it a try. Good luck on what ever you decide on.

Count me in, also! Yeah, the engineers at work use all kinds of stuff. Some works better than others. I'll give it the WV mud test for you!

• Like 1