Stalls when I go to park

Just picked up my first bike, Have been daily riding it. It is 2005 DR400S, 17.3k miles on it.

I have noticed that when I go to park it, it will shut off by itself.... It idles fine, and starts up first try. It doesn't stall on me if I am sitting in traffic or waiting at lights. Nort sure what to look for or where to start. I am very mechanically inclined, but have no clue about motorcycles.

If it matters, I am a big guy @ 260 pounds. There are also some modifications to the bike.

Edited by 74jimbo

There is a sidestand switch that cuts the ignition when the sidestand is lowered when parking the bike,and a clutch interlock switch that prevents the bike from starting unless the clutch is pulled in if the bike is in gear.

• Like 1

kickstand isn't down, and the clutch is pulled back when this happens

Idle seems fine. And starts up and runs great. I don't even use the choke. I am not 100% sure it isn't the idle, but I have no idea if it is good or bad. Not sure what it idles at, as there isn't a tach

so, I did a little more riding than usual yesterday... and no issues.... hmmmm

so, I did a little more riding than usual yesterday... and no issues.... hmmmm

Just needed an Italian tune up. When stuff sits or only makes short hops, it always seems to cause little niggling issues. Once a week, take that thing out and flog the crap out of it, literally. I've always heard it called the Italian tune up, it works wonders to get everything hot and charged up. The other plus is that if you're not sure something is wrong, a merciless flogging will either make you feel ok about it or expose the problem more obviously via catastrophic failure.
  • Like 3