Sign in to follow this  

Most reliable 250f with OEM parts?

Topic says it all. 

Which brand would you say be most reliable with OEM parts? 

Ive been making a few 4t/2t topics related to cost. I want to ride alot and the price for parts on KTM/Husqvarna OEM is on the very expensive side and I googled around and ended up on a yamaha partsfinder website and I almost shit myself seeing the price on parts. 

Example: Crank assembly OEM 240$, is this a joke? That wont even cover the rod and rod only in a KTM. 

How about rod then? 40$ vs 400$

Piston kit? 99$ vs 350$

Basicly you could be on top of maintaince with a 250f from the big four for a franction of the price. I really cant believe it because I think its dirt cheap. You could have a shop rebuild the bottom and top end for under 1000$..?

I know that KTM uses the top notch parts and nothing less so Im sure they are "better" and can handle abuse better but how much does that matter for the average rider? You could change pistons every 30hrs and its still cheaper. 

I know Yamaha has always been rather good when it comes to reliability but it seem to have problem is later models, is thst correct?

And before anyone say anything about "why do you care about cost" lets say I have a race budget. Just for the sake lets say its 1000$ a season and if I can ride twice as much on a brands OEM compared to another its an easy choice. 

Everyone I ride with agrees that Yamahas are the most reliable bike built. I've found the new generation of YZF's(own two) are as solid as the previous incarcerations.

If correct,  those prices for the KTM parts are insane. Surely Squid and Mog will be along soon to why the KTM parts are worth 4-10 times more.

• Like 1

Get a ktm, with how well the engines are made they are going almost 300+hrs on the 4 strokes and 200 on 2t. And people are doing top ends and pistons as preventive sice everything is still in spec when they open them up. My 350 has 50hrs on it and the valves haven't even moved.

2 minutes ago, sixdaysoffun said:

Get a ktm, with how well the engines are made they are going almost 300+hrs on the 4 strokes and 200 on 2t. And people are doing top ends and pistons as preventive sice everything is still in spec when they open them up. My 350 has 50hrs on it and the valves haven't even moved.

I have a 2016 FC250 and is very happy with it. Im babying it, dont think Ive been at 12-14k rpm anytime and Im on top of maintaince. However, peace of my mind is another thing and with cheap parts I could pretty much rebuild top and bottom every 100hrs for a small cost is comparasion

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wessmen said:

And before anyone say anything about "why do you care about cost" lets say I have a race budget.

race budget, 250f, oem parts.    I'll say Honda CRF will be cheapest to keep fresh with new parts not waiting for stuff to wear out before replacement. Valve pistons cranks etc are usually cheaper.  Now if your racing a mod motor, which you things will get expensive.   A lot of guys race 450's over 250's because they can go longer between rebuilds. Twostrokes can be even cheaper.