2011 KTM xcfw 250 valve clearance

Can anyone help me know the specs on valve clearances for a 2011 ktm xcfw 250?  I found something like .10-.15 intake and .13-.18 on exhaust... is that right?  any suggestions on where to buy shims without having to buy the whole box but just specific to what I need?  Thanks, I am in the highlands of Papua, Indonesia so not much access to any parts and the closest ktm dealer is 3000 miles away so I need to get it right the first time.  

Thanks so much, big help.  I had something from the 300 and that is almost same... .13 to .18 is what I had so this helps confirm what I need.  Now that I've met someone that has the solutions to all my problems do you know what I would need on piston and ring gap before I need to replace? thanks, sorry to bug you.  

Best I could measure my piston was 75.5mm with no rings on it.  top ring gap is 1.80mm and middle is 1.00mm.  cylinder is smooth and so is piston, just started smoking a bit recently.  

Haha not sure about whether i can help with all your problems, but i like helping with bike problems - and youre not bugging me cause i enjoy doing it.

P2.png

P3.png

• Like 1

thanks, that is a huge help but if you give a guy an inch he might try to take a mile so just tell me to leave you alone if I bug you too much... won't ask you for any help with marriage or child rearing, I'll just stay focused on motorcycles!  Here is a picture of my piston and cylinder.  the piston has a bit of a "wave" in it that looks like it came from casting but maybe it is stress?.  nothing is scrapped up or anything but I haven't gotten a good clean measurement on it, I had 75.5mm but don't trust my measurements.... any suggestions for me on if I should just go with new rings (I am at 1.80mm gap instead of 1.00mm on compression ring) or should I do a piston.  Not rolling in cash so really happy to save the $120 bucks if I can.... thanks.  Also, any suggestions on where I can buy individual valve shims instead of the huge pack?  I am right at the outside limit so that just means I need to go up .005mm on the size I have right and that will put me right at the other end?... Ie, my gap is .18mm and it is suppose to be .12-.17mm.  any reason I should leave it wider open like running at higher altitudes... I live at about 5,000ft and ride to about 10,000 on regular basis....don't know much about the inner workings of all this stuff.... magic really!  haha.  

DSC07188.JPG

DSC07127.JPG

Remeasured... getting 75.6mm on piston and on the cylinder bottom getting 75.9mm.

looks like you might be up for piston and rings - maybe even valve stem seals if it still smokes - someone else may have more knowledge than me on this - but if it was me i would replace the piston and rings and seals - re-cut the seats and maybe even a valve grind depending on whether Ti or S/S

not sure on individual shims - i always buy them in a pack - you can buy them individually from ktm

someone else on here might know about ring end gap and altitudes

• Like 1

Remeasured... getting 75.6mm on piston and on the cylinder bottom getting 75.9mm. Thanks!  really helpful, I'll start down that line.