KTM 200 still smoking like crazy

Okay so my 08 200xc has been smoking badly since I got it. So far I have leaned it out, put new crank seals in, and checked for any possible air leaks and it doesn't change. What could possibly be causing this?

What oil and fuel are you using.  Some oils just don't burn as clean as others and your going to get some smoke. 

What oil and fuel are you using.  Some oils just don't burn as clean as others and your going to get some smoke. 

Yamalube 2R, it looks like a cloud at half throttle, and 93 octane pump gas

Yamalube 2R, it looks like a cloud at half throttle, and 93 octane pump gas

What ratio?

32:1

And are you fouling plugs at all?
I'm not familiar with the Yamalube oils, I've ran Bell-Ray MC1 kinda smokey at 32:1, Maxima 927 and Super M are very smokey at all ratios, Maxima K2 isn't too bad at 50:1 and I currently use Amsoil Dominator at 50:1 in my 2013 250xc-w. Very little smoke and spooge is pretty much none existent.
Have you tried switching oils?

How do you know jetting isn't the issue? Smoke and spooge are a big sign it IS the issue. And leaking crank seals and any other forms of unmetered air will make the bike lean, not rich.

You might want to post your jetting and get some help. Pilot, needle, clip position, main, float level, temp and altitude. All these things come into play.

And imo (and, coincidentally KTM's also) 32:1 is way too much oil. KTM recommends 60:1 I believe.

And have you checked your exhaust system? Repacked the silencer etc?

• Like 2

My brother just picked up an 06 YZ 250 and it was a fog machine.  We leaned it out just a bit off stock jetting, still smoked a lot.  Dumped whatever fuel the previous owner had in it, put our mix (Amsoil Intimidator), cleaned the pipe, repacked the silencer and after a few more rides it's no longer a fogger.  If you're sure your jetting is good, (KTM spec) then you're running too much/wrong oil.  Stock jetting would assume that you're running 40 to 60-1, jet for your mix, you are running 32-1 in a bike jetted and designed for 40 to 60-1.  

For the record my bro runs 32-1 in his bike, but we jetted for it.  I run 40-1 in my 200, but I am generally not a lugger.

This is assuming everything else you mentioned is in proper working order.

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 2

Id follow poldies advice about going to some known good jetting, cleaning out the pipe and repack the silencer.  If its still a fog machine it could be (dont jump to this comclusion though) a bad crank bearing that allows enough wobble to make even a new seal leak.  Its rare this happens without other engine damage but ive heard of it before. Never personally experienced it though.  

Again, id follow poldies advice first. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BushPig said:

And some should follow Skwid's advice 

Cough @redrider144 cough.

Mwuahahah.

Cut him some slack, he's an engineer so he has to learn things the hard way.....  And of course hes smarter than the engineer who designed the jetting charts at KTM..... 

5 minutes ago, KTMRider4Life said:

Cut him some slack, he's an engineer so he has to learn things the hard way.....  And of course hes smarter than the engineer who designed the jetting charts at KTM..... 

He shoulda done some calculus on that shit to work out pilot size.

One of my friends was studying to be an engineer. Only one of us that's lost a wheel on his car or forgotten to tighten a sump plug and blown an engine.

Unfortunately he had to give up that dream as university was too expensive. Was sad to see him give it up.

Can ride the wheels off his bike though. Doesnt matter if theres oil in the forks or if it has brakes either lol.

• Like 1

Have you inspected the cylinder walls and bore spec? Rings could measure to spec and still pass oil via cylinder gouges, scratches, cracks or being worn out of round at some point. A compression test may reveal this, but several bore measurements are the best approach. 

I wouldn't hesitate to continue with 32:1. Whatever the oil ratio, pick one and jet to it. Also ensure float height and needle valve operation are good.

You leaned it out... how? 

Pilot, needle, AS, main? One doesn't  fix all rpm.

How do you know it's not sucking tranny fluid. ? Measure it if you're not familiar with how it smells.