Shifting without clutch question

Is shifting without the clutch okay? I only ask because mine isn't working (won't engage) and I'm waiting on parts to come in. Is a weekend of casual riding gonna be likely to break anything? It's a 125cc ssr pit bike. I wouldn't be power shifting or anything like that. Would be taking it easy on trails. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I'm assuming you mean won't disengage? Shifting without the clutch is perfectly normal, what's going to be rough is getting it into gear in the first place. You'll have to have it rolling and ram it into gear to get going, then it'll kill the motor every time you have to stop (or even slow down too much) for anything. Personally, I'd just wait until I could get it working right.

• Like 1

yes disengage is what I meant, Thanks. But I know getting going and keeping it going sucks bc it will die, but I was just unsure if the shifting without the clutch would harm any of the internal gears in the transmission 

On 5/25/2017 at 0:34 PM, dallebach1024 said:

I was just unsure if the shifting without the clutch would harm any of the internal gears in the transmission 

If you back off the throttle and the speeds are not crazy, it will shift without too much damage to the internals. The gears themselves are usually robust enough not to be bothered, its the shifting dogs that get bent, or the edges where the gears mesh get rounded off. 

If you seriously mean "not any harm" then that is impossible. Proper clutch usage only decreases the wear and tear on a transmission. The gears, dogs, shift drum, star rotation arms, etc. all wear as part of normal usage. Most quality bikes have transmissions that outlast the probably life of the bike itself. But I have rebuilt transmissions on many bikes of many major brands.

Having the bike running in neutral, reving it up enough so that it doesn't die when you slam it into first is hard on the tranny. Fix the clutch if you care about tranny internals.

Edited by pat22043
  • Like 1