Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket Exhaust Options?

I don't see why it won't. But if you're doing trailrides you may need a spark arrestor. Depends on where you ride and the local laws. Trying to remember what the XL muffler was like...you may need to get a tailpipe made up too.

You're going to be cheap with a bike that has been running since 1982? You are a heartless bastard....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CrazyQuickDraw said:

I'm trying to find a silencer that will work on my 82' XL185. Something cheap and simple, I use this bike for long trail rides and I'm gonna assume the exhaust will get beat up. Will something simple like this work? https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/universal-1-1-4-in-i-d-bolt-on-steel-silencer-23-91250.p430945.prd/430945.sku#q-and-a

It should be fine , ride it and enjoy it. Parking it , polishing it and just looking at it is for old women.   😏

On 5/25/2017 at 8:00 AM, CrazyQuickDraw said:

I'm trying to find a silencer that will work on my 82' XL185. Something cheap and simple, I use this bike for long trail rides and I'm gonna assume the exhaust will get beat up. Will something simple like this work? https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/universal-1-1-4-in-i-d-bolt-on-steel-silencer-23-91250.p430945.prd/430945.sku#q-and-a

I think I would look on ebay etc for a supetrapp,  xr200 stuff should fit (other than the 4 valve version)

• Like 1

Here's another question. Will this silencer provide enough back pressure? The reason I picked up the XL185 is because my freshly rebuilt 125 wouldn't start, and I gave up. Yesterday me and my buddy were messing around, and tried to straight pipe the 185. Didn't fire. So today I thought I'd hook up the rusted muffler from the 185 to the 125 and boom... It ran. 4 months I messed with that motor and back pressure was my answer. Looks like these bikes need a good exhaust.

Just now, CrazyQuickDraw said:

Here's another question. Will this silencer provide enough back pressure? The reason I picked up the XL185 is because my freshly rebuilt 125 wouldn't start, and I gave up. Yesterday me and my buddy were messing around, and tried to straight pipe the 185. Didn't fire. So today I thought I'd hook up the rusted muffler from the 185 to the 125 and boom... It ran. 4 months I messed with that motor and back pressure was my answer. Looks like these bikes need a good exhaust.

Get the Supertrapp DK shows on there. You can adjust the back pressure with the number of plates. They're a spark arrester too. It's only about $20 more.

Get the Supertrapp DK shows on there. You can adjust the back pressure with the number of plates. They're a spark arrester too. It's only about $20 more.

I need to order the core kit too though, that's like $120 more

17 minutes ago, CrazyQuickDraw said:

I need to order the core kit too though, that's like $120 more

🤦   I'm sorry , I didn't read the whole thing. I'll see If I can find something else.

AliExpress. I just searched ''motorcycle muffler 32mm'' and came up with a bunch in the same price range as the one you were looking at on DK. Take a look.

AliExpress. I just searched ''motorcycle muffler 32mm'' and came up with a bunch in the same price range as the one you were looking at on DK. Take a look.

Will do! Thanks Joe, appreciate it.
  • Like 1

So I think I'll order a DG universal bolt on silencer. I can't decide weather to purchase the 91125 model or 91000 model. The 91125 is for 250cc bikes while the 91000 is for 125cc bikes. I'll probably be interchanging my 185 and 125 motor... I'm leaning towards the 91000 but is the inlet size correct?

https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/universal-1-1-8-in-i-d-bolt-on-steel-silencer-23-91125.p430944.prd/430944.sku

https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/universal-1-in-i-d-bolt-on-steel-silencer-23-91000.p430943.prd/430943.sku