Why do I suck at riding

I love being on a dirt bike but lately the frustration of riding is getting to me. I rode for a few years on and off and then sold my bike. Recently I just picked up a yz250fx. While I know it's not a full on motocross bike I do ride in trails and wasn't concerned w the lower power it has.  I ride a track bike on road courses and have no issue. For some reason I'm always whiskey throttling the bike and never feel comfortable. I work out regularly, I'm not trying to ride over my head but just can't get a feel or master this. Is It the bike, should a get a lite bike like a 150 two smoke? I'm 43 and weigh 185. I really love the sport but after awhile do you just have to say it's not meant to be. While I also understand riding a few times a month I won't be very good, I just want to be comfortable and have fun and be safe.  

Below is an image of my riding position, I have read books and also have Gary's dvd's. any tips on may be trying a different bike, attitude or whatever I'm all ears. I do have an acre in my yard even if I'm not at speed will the seat time help?

Thank you for listening!!

IMG_1434.JPG

Time in the saddle...Time in the saddle...Time in the saddle...Repeat! I think you may be having an issue with the 4stk-2stk difference. And the dirt is nothing like the pavement, just two different worlds. I'll bet you would instantly feel better with a 250FX 4stk. And like most of us you probably need more...Time in the saddle!

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, YHGEORGE said:

Time in the saddle...Time in the saddle...Time in the saddle...Repeat! I think you may be having an issue with the 4stk-2stk difference. And the dirt is nothing like the pavement, just two different worlds. I'll bet you would instantly feel better with a 250FX 4stk. And like most of us you probably need more...Time in the saddle!

I have the 250fx but didn't know if a two stroke would be liter and easier to ride. When I sit down and ride trails I'm fine. I guess I'll keep at it and go for it!

13 minutes ago, Red800rider said:

Set yourself up a figure 8 in a corner of that acre. 30 minutes 3 times a week made world of difference for me when I went to track or trails on weekends.

Thanks dude I'll give that a shot!!!

• Like 1

I think you are getting caught up too much in the "I need to be good" thing. Riding is about having fun. If you are having as much fun going slow as the guy going fast then it's whatever.

• Like 5

I have the 250fx but didn't know if a two stroke would be liter and easier to ride. When I sit down and ride trails I'm fine. I guess I'll keep at it and go for it!

That's the issue right there. When I made the transition from road racing to dirt I thought i could still sit on the bike a lot. NOPE. Ride as much as possible standing, only sit if you're stopped to drink and look at a map. Some folks may disagree but I made huge improvements when I stopped sitting. Good luck.
  • Like 6

I'm opposite HeavyRotation. I'm 23, 6'2", 190lbs, and sit ALL the time. But as said above, thats what I do because it's enjoyable for me. Find what's comfortable and fun for YOU then work on improving your skills as wanted. Most of all though, nothing beats seat time. And don't over think stuff. Let your skills you already have do most of the work. Hopefully that helps, even if only a little.

• Like 2

I think you are getting caught up too much in the "I need to be good" thing. Riding is about having fun. If you are having as much fun going slow as the guy going fast then it's whatever.

If you're used to always being the fastest guy around that's a whole lotta crow to swallow.
  • Like 2

There's definitely a time and place for both sitting and standing no matter how good you are.  Watch pros in almost any discipline and you'll see them stand in sweeping fast turns and snaking through the trees on faint turns, but then using the traditional MX style when the corner is sharp, or has good support.  

• Like 2

There's definitely a time and place for both sitting and standing no matter how good you are.  Watch pros in almost any discipline and you'll see them stand in sweeping fast turns and snaking through the trees on faint turns, but then using the traditional MX style when the corner is sharp, or has good support.  

Right, but dude said he's coming from a road racing background, he's plenty fast sitting I'd imagine. Anyway, I made the same transition and its tough going from winning races to holding your buddies up on gnarly terrain.

i understand that i need to be up out of the seat, when i ride trails i sit most of the time as well on the road bike.  When on a moto track i do stand most of the time and try to squeeze the bike, i just feel when i am standing i whiskey throttle to much and just dont feel comfortable. I posted me on a moto track above, does my stance look ok? I know seat time is the key. Just a side note, i get on my sons KLX 140L and i am super smooth around berms, turns etc.. When i am on the 250 im choppy on the throttle and very inconsistent.  im going to work on turns and doing some back yard practice and see how it goes. 

It's hard dude, I crashed a bunch this weekend trying to do a lot of log and boulder crossing stuff. I added some Steg Pegz type discs to my plastics that let me be way more stable while standing and let me lighten up my hands. That made it much easier to control the bike while standing. I think it all comes down to practice. That figure 8 is the shit, if you've got an acre, set up a course and practice riding it slowly.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, HeavyRotation said:

Right, but dude said he's coming from a road racing background, he's plenty fast sitting I'd imagine. Anyway, I made the same transition and its tough going from winning races to holding your buddies up on gnarly terrain.

I hear ya, I just wanted to make sure he wasn't trying to stand for every single corner and situation.  

OP, if you're having problems with jerky throttle in turns, that will screw up a lot of things.  Sounds like "slowing down to speed up" is a good thing to focus on. I got that phrase from a trackday instructor because I too, came from a pavement background sort of.  Enter turns with plenty of comfort, so that you can stay on the gas through it. Then slowly increase. 

Possible that you need to use the clutch more for traction control.  And to answer your question earlier - a two stroke will make this problem generally worse(harder to ride)

Everyone I've ridden with that came from street bikes (me included) had problems with clutch use because you would never do that on pavement.  I just happened to have a lower budget than my friends,therefore I was forced to stick with my 125 which basically forced me to learn the clutch.  

• Like 5

If you're used to always being the fastest guy around that's a whole lotta crow to swallow.

I guess. People just get so worked up about it they stop riding. Which sucks because the sport ain't getting bigger.

3 minutes ago, gscx said:

I guess. People just get so worked up about it they stop riding. Which sucks because the sport ain't getting bigger.

im not use to being fast and i am not riding to be an A class rider, i just wanna be smooth and safe. 

What are you having problems with? The FX is set up to be ridden fast. Just let us know what the bike is doing or not doing right and I'm sure we can help you make some adjustments to get you more comfortable. Are you still on the stock tires and suspension? Have you geared up and set the sag? Setting the sag is the first thing you should do to.

• Like 3

Sag was set up by a very very experienced rider and i am confident with his settings, he also helped me with some front suspension settings. I just seem to chop throttle through the turns and it surges and also feel like a whiskey throttle a lot.