2000 YZ250 Right Side Crank Seal

Hello guys

Not sure which way to install the crankshaft oil seal on the right side crankcase half the clutchside. I have a 2000 YZ250. Some pics of the oil seal i got from the dealer.

When i look at the black side of the seal where there is part numbers it says "IN" "SIDE" not sure if this side faces toward the crankshaft or away?

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0007.JPG

Edited by Rutrider937

No grease that is the way it came factory from the yamaha dealer. So just to clarify, your saying the side with the writing faces the crankshaft, like this? Its suppose to be backwards, compared to the left side crankcase where the writing is showing towards the flywheel?

IMG_0011.JPG

And this is the incorrect way the seal should be facing?

IMG_0013.JPG

Edited by Rutrider937

This is your bike by the book, it's been a few years since I've done the seals, with that said your trying to keep the clutch oil out of the crank, think of it as a cone and it should make sense. Very little pressure below the piston

14957491358191817456362.jpg

• Like 1

Of the few I've done on dirt bikes, clutch side has always been with the writing in, with that said I've never bought a brand new bike and perhaps they were switched prior to me getting there, good on you for buying the book and getting the proper answer!?

• Like 1

I hope this is correct, being it is stated in the service manual. Also when i look at pictures of others it shows the manufactures numbers facing outward. I bought this bike in pieces with the bottom end stripped. Hopefully everything turns out smooth, really don't want to split cases again.

s-l16002222222222222222222222.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

Edited by Rutrider937

20 minutes ago, Rutrider937 said:

I hope this is correct, being it is stated in the service manual. Also when i look at pictures of others it shows the manufactures numbers facing outward. I bought this bike in pieces with the bottom end stripped. Hopefully everything turns out smooth, really don't want to split cases again.

s-l16002222222222222222222222.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

It will work don't worry bout it ?

Now im really confused . . . i went to the yamaha dealer to check if the seal was installed in the correct direction. They are saying the opposite now :banghead:

They told me to install the seal with the manufacturers markings towards the crank im so confused.