Jump to content

SB 249, OHV fund conversation

Recommended Posts

Topic: SB249, Red Sticker Program, OHV fund, etc.  What's our future?

 

I know this is a touchy subject but I think it's one that needs to be talked about more.  A lot more.  I think there's far too many riders that are totally uneducated (I certainly need to know more) about this situation and even more that want to hide their heads in the sand and pretend nothing bad will ever happen.  In fairness, there's probably also a great number of people that would be more involved if they simply knew more about these changes or how to be more involved-better informed.  That's what I am hoping this thread will do.  I lead a group of about 30 riders.  We are an experienced group but I am sad to say our group is probably like most, we just don't know enough about what is being proposed and because of that, its easier to do nothing and hope the few folks that are more involved can win this for us.  I don't want it to be this way so I am hoping to help make a change.

 

I have tried to do a bit of research on my own but I'm afraid the legal speak is so damn boring and confusing (perhaps by design) that I find myself searching for a more simple definition of what this bill will change and all the different ways this will change our land access in CA and our ability to ride our bikes, red, green or plated.  Maybe that's a good way to start, anyone on here that might be well educated care to give us the Cliff Notes on the situation?

 

Much appreciated.

 

Chad

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For the moderator, I posted in CA because I think this topic need as many eyeballs on it as possible and this is a CA issue.  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This site has a good group of people that come here to blow off steam and talk about riding or the ride they just had.  It's an entertainment spot.  

May not get the attention you want...  good luck though :thumbsup:

 

Edited by Jeff aka Bolt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


SB249 concerns the state OHV program.  The original bill was drafted without the input from the OHV community.  It was presented to two different legislative committees.  Both committees agreed that the bill was in serious need of change and that the Senator that submitted it needs to get collaborative input on a rewrite of the bill.  Several of the OHV organizations in the state are active in the rewrite.   

BigBelly, if you are in the SF Bay Area, either myself or another one of the board of directors for CORVA could meet with you and your riding buddies to help educate you.  Thank you for your concern about the program.  

Ride on

Brewster, CORVA board member 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, Brewster!  We have a private FB page.  I'll copy any info that gets posted here over there for all to read.  We're all spread out in NorCal and our next big "full group" ride is beginning of Nov.  I'm also tied to a much bigger group as well. Happy to share there too.  More than happy to invite you to attend or join the group if ya like. Just PM if so.

I recently read an article that led me to believe there might just be an effort to ban red-sticker bikes.  That's a big concern for me.  I'd like to think this industry is too big for that but the enviro's are gonna use this to their advantage however they can.  I got screwed in '03 when my green sticker CRF 450 turned red at renewal.  I'm on a red sticker already, now what?  Scary.  

Im also more interested in the differentiation between an SVRA and an OHV.  I'll look that up but is that just a name or is it a State vs Fed designation?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, BigBelly said:
Quote

Im also more interested in the differentiation between an SVRA and an OHV.  I'll look that up but is that just a name or is it a State vs Fed designation?

SVRA = State Vehicle Recreation Area.  These are parks set up by California Parks and Recreation, through the Off Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division (OHMVR) for motorized recreation.  The program that set up the OHMVR Division is the state OHV program.  How that program operates and is funded is contained within several sections of California legislation.

The Red sticker program is being looked at and there is supposed to be a public meeting by the California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) some time in July.  With automobiles, CARB sets emission standards but doesn't designate how they are to be achieved.  They are doing the same thing with motorcycles. 

Current Red sticker bikes would most likely be grand fathered into any future legislation, not totally banned.

 

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA     

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by brewster

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:49 PM, brewster said:


SB249 concerns the state OHV program.  The original bill was drafted without the input from the OHV community.  It was presented to two different legislative committees.  Both committees agreed that the bill was in serious need of change and that the Senator that submitted it needs to get collaborative input on a rewrite of the bill.  Several of the OHV organizations in the state are active in the rewrite.   

BigBelly, if you are in the SF Bay Area, either myself or another one of the board of directors for CORVA could meet with you and your riding buddies to help educate you.  Thank you for your concern about the program.  

Ride on

Brewster, CORVA board member 

Brewster,  I think there was a meeting that was supposed to happen on June 22 about this stuff.  Have there been any changes or can you give any updates?  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, BigBelly said:

Brewster,  I think there was a meeting that was supposed to happen on June 22 about this stuff.  Have there been any changes or can you give any updates?  Thanks!

Thank you for being interested!

The June 22 meeting was just to have the staff brief the Board on what they have been doing so far with the Red Sticker emissions program.  You can view their presentation by going here:  https://www.arb.ca.gov/board/books/2017/062217/17-6-3pres.pdf

The next staff meeting with the public may have some new information.  That meeting may take place next month, so far, no notice on the date.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, brewster said:

Thank you for being interested!

The June 22 meeting was just to have the staff brief the Board on what they have been doing so far with the Red Sticker emissions program.  You can view their presentation by going here:  https://www.arb.ca.gov/board/books/2017/062217/17-6-3pres.pdf

The next staff meeting with the public may have some new information.  That meeting may take place next month, so far, no notice on the date.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

 

 

Wow! Looking to establish sunset dates for Red Sticker program in 2018. Apparently the red sticker program is a loophole and outside of California, red sticker bikes are only used for competition and cannot be used for recreation.

Do I need to re-evaluate my future bike selection plans?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GVRider said:

Wow! Looking to establish sunset dates for Red Sticker program in 2018. Apparently the red sticker program is a loophole and outside of California, red sticker bikes are only used for competition and cannot be used for recreation.

Do I need to re-evaluate my future bike selection plans?

It's actually the opposite.  I'm not aware of any other state that puts restrictions on the type of bike you use for off-road recreation.

Ride on

Brewster 

CORVA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, brewster said:

It's actually the opposite.  I'm not aware of any other state that puts restrictions on the type of bike you use for off-road recreation.

Ride on

Brewster 

CORVA

That's what I thought. How can they publish this outright lie?

 

arbohv.JPG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The entire report paints a very dark picture for "red sticker" dirt bikes in California. I'm sorry but the numbers and percentages they are presenting seem heavily skewed in a negative light to meet their extreme demands in the very near future. I'm a AMA and D36 member, why was I not ever alerted to any of these "public work shops"? Mushrooms........kept in the dark and fed bullshit. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because they don't really want you there !

Public meetings are must do events so that they can claim the process listens to stakeholders' concerns.  In truth, it is a show.  If it gets promoted too much people might just show up and ask questions. A handful of dirt bikers and tree huggin rock lickers they can tolerate for about 90 minutes...  but more than that is just too much to ask of a civil servant.  

There has to be some limit to how much time and energy will be expended on these dog and pony shows.   :smirk:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 8:45 AM, Mongo134 said:

The entire report paints a very dark picture for "red sticker" dirt bikes in California. I'm sorry but the numbers and percentages they are presenting seem heavily skewed in a negative light to meet their extreme demands in the very near future. I'm a AMA and D36 member, why was I not ever alerted to any of these "public work shops"? Mushrooms........kept in the dark and fed bullshit. 

Send Cassie an email requesting to be put on the email notification list.

cassandra.lopina@arb.ca.gov

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎6‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 9:08 AM, Jeff aka Bolt said:

Because they don't really want you there !

Public meetings are must do events so that they can claim the process listens to stakeholders' concerns.  In truth, it is a show.  If it gets promoted too much people might just show up and ask questions. A handful of dirt bikers and tree huggin rock lickers they can tolerate for about 90 minutes...  but more than that is just too much to ask of a civil servant.  

There has to be some limit to how much time and energy will be expended on these dog and pony shows.   :smirk:

At the last CARB staff and public meeting, April 18th, most of the OHV advocacy groups and manufacturers had representatives in attendance.  

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brewster said:

At the last CARB staff and public meeting, April 18th, most of the OHV advocacy groups and manufacturers had representatives in attendance.  

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

And how did that work out ?   :smirk:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Jeff aka Bolt said:

And how did that work out ?   :smirk:

We don't know yet what they may do with our input.

I do know that there have been several positive changes to SB249 thanks to the involvement of our OHV advocacy groups......but still more work to be done.

Ride on

Brewster

CORVA

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×