Watching People Learn The Hard Way..

My next door neighbor bought his kid an old 250F to ride around. He wanted me to oversee them working on it, ok, no problem. First order of business, change the oil/filter and clean/oil the air filter, I did the air filter and told them what oil and oil filter to get. They go to change the oil filter and the bottom bolt is finger tight with a bunch of thread tape on it, case stripped. Pointed them to a good case on eBay, told them to get water pump seal, case gasket, and whatever o-rings were in it. They get a $100 bag of parts from the stealership, then unbeknown to me, take the old case off and have the new one on when they call me to help them tighten it all down and finish it up. I go over there and see the new water pump seal still in the bag. "Why didn't you put the new seal in it while you had it all apart?" "Well, the one that was in it looked good". Shake my head and finish putting it back together. Start it up and guess what.. Pouring coolant out the weep hole.

"Take it back apart and do it like you should have done it in the first place" as I'm heading back to the house. I told them 2-3 times to be sure to change that seal and check the shaft for grooving while they had it apart. They had the seal right there (along with several others), and didn't put it in. An extra 5 minutes (if that), and all would be good (they swear the shaft wasn't grooved, but I haven't seen it).

Half assing and the classic results.. :smirk:

• Like 2

Haha once I told a guy that I saw out on the dunes with coolant leaking out the weep hole, told him he should probably fix that before he goes out again. The bike was listed within a week as having no compression for $500. I bought it, and now it has a new cylinder, piston, AND water pump seal.

Edited by Wild Alaskan
  • Like 1

I think most of us have learned a few things the hard way. :thinking:

There is a value to things learned, understood, and not taught.

Whether the value is worth the cost can be debated.

• Like 1