Ktm 250sx 2014 leaky carb Help!

Hey guys,

I took apart my carb during the winter to change the jets in my carb. First ride i go out the bike doesnt start..

A lot of fuel was in the engine.. no big deal i burnt it with a lighter and turned the engine over a few times.

2nd ride same thing!! Plus the bike leaks from the over flow slowly in my garage..

So today i took the carb off, cleaned everything and made sure the float was good, i actually made the float sit a bit lower. I put everything back together, turn on the fuel and fuel just keeps pouring out the bowl over flow tube... wtf?

Any help would help

I believe it's called the needle seat valve?  Buy a carb rebuild kit, about 25 bucks, there will be one in the kit, while you're at it, rebuild the rest of the carb too.  It happens...

Edited by poldies4
  • Like 1

I believe it's called the needle seat valve?  Buy a carb rebuild kit, about 25 bucks, there will be one in the kit, while you're at it, rebuild the rest of the carb too.  It happens...

Thanks, i did the fuel line blow test to set the float and when it was closed i couldnt let air through, can this still be the needle vavle seal?

Thanks!

8 minutes ago, theoriginalone said:

Thanks, i did the fuel line blow test to set the float and when it was closed i couldnt let air through, can this still be the needle vavle seal?

Thanks!

Yes, you can apply more pressure blowing on it than gravityy filling the float bowl.  It's part #20, as Midge has pointed in the fiche. You can buy just that part, but a rebuild kit is nice to have around. 

• Like 1

Yes, you can apply more pressure blowing on it than gravityy filling the float bowl.  It's part #20, as Midge has pointed in the fiche. You can buy just that part, but a rebuild kit is nice to have around. 

Then if i have tried that and air doesnt go through its not that seal then?

Just now, theoriginalone said:

Yeah i see the diagram, but when it was off the bike it was moving very freely dont think that is the problem

It's not the movement.  There is a viton rubber tip on the valve, when that wears even a little bit it just won't work right anymore.  Pull the valve and thoroughly inspect the tip.

It's not the movement.  There is a viton rubber tip on the valve, when that wears even a little bit it just won't work right anymore.  Pull the valve and thoroughly inspect the tip.

I have pulled the vavle and it looked good and pointy!

Just now, theoriginalone said:

Then if i have tried that and air doesnt go through its not that seal then?

Nope, it's a pressure seal.  the harder you blow, the better it will seal, but as I mentioned the floats don't push as hard on the valve when it's just the fuel pushing them up.

• Like 1

Nope, it's a pressure seal.  the harder you blow, the better it will seal, but as I mentioned the floats don't push as hard on the valve when it's just the fuel pushing them up.

Ahh i see, so then i will order that part

3 minutes ago, theoriginalone said:

Ahh i see, so then i will order that part

I would, likely the culprit and the easiest place to start.  Good luck.

Little update.. i took the carb apart, and played a little with the float and everything is good, not looking the overflow anymore! But what can cause gaz to leak into the intake?? Thankss:)

The pin that the floats pivot on gets sticky. Remove it clean it with sreel wool or fine grain sand paper and all will be good. Turning off petcock is always a good idea when not riding as well.

Funny, in all my years of owning and riding toys I've never left the petcock on after the ride.  Always been a habit to turn the fuel off.  

• Like 2

Funny, in all my years of owning and riding toys I've never left the petcock on after the ride.  Always been a habit to turn the fuel off.  

Yeah thats a good habit! I always leave it on. I will get into the habit it closing it!

Thanks guys!
  • Like 1

I've got a stock carb off my 2013 XC-W I'd sell. It works perfect. I went with a Lectron, so I have no need for it.

I've got a stock carb off my 2013 XC-W I'd sell. It works perfect. I went with a Lectron, so I have no need for it.

How much you want for the carb?