baffled by electrical problems (2006). short/battery drain

I tried bypassing my starter relay to test if it was bad, now my battery is draining and dying quickly.

I know its the small red wire coming off the starter relay, but im stumped from there... so following the red wire, i discovered the draw only disappears when i unplug the 3 prong connector going to the reg/rec and the 3 prong connector going up to the display at the same time. if either one is plugged in the draw remains.

anyone know why this would be happening?

Edited by folger86

Is there a common wire that connect these two components somehow? That is the only way i can think that would make it so both connectors would have to be unplugged to stop the draw.

if that common wire had a short, it would still draw from the battery with either one plugged in.

How much of a draw?

How are you determining the draw?

Can you measure milliamps?

Most likely the draw is from a worn through wire that is grounding out against the frame, or a corroded connection that is shorting out against itself. Both would be a 'parasitic' short/draw rather than a direct short. 

I would start inspecting the entire harness and plugs.

49 minutes ago, jsantapau said:

are you disconnecting the ground or are you running your amp meter parallel to the ground

disconnected the ground and reading from the ground wire to the negative battery terminal

wire.png

wire 2.png

Edited by folger86

dammit  when I blow up the picture it get too fuzzy for my old eyeballs.........  this is my thought though       hook up the ground  make sure it is good and clean. assuming the red wire is battery hot(you say it goes to the reg/rec and the main display)        make a jumper wire set so you unplug the starter solenoid and hook it up back up giving you room to check pins and disconnect one wire at a time.        starter solenoids generally have 4 wires  signal hot, signal ground, battery juice in, battery juice out.  

disconnect the main starter wire off the starter and tape up to prevent it from grounding out for now .   the small red wire should be battery voltage  or no resistance to + side of battery if my thinking is correct   disconnect it  and the plug should be+ battery  the solenoid pin should be 0 volts or open, hook it back up. disconnect the other small wire  the plug should be open and when you are starting the bike it should be closed to ground  ,  the solenoid side  should have some resistance  and click if you connect it to ground,hook back up.    large wire from battery should obviously be battery voltage with no resistance.  the end of the starter cable should have no voltage or open.  when all conditions are met to try and start is should be  battery voltage and no resistance from battery+

I am thinking that the starter solenoid is wired constantly hot and the ground is going to the switches /relays to be activated.   if the  main starter wire does not have full battery voltage no resistance from battery when all starting conditions net  or   if there is some voltage or continuity when you are not trying to engage the starter the solenoid would be my first guess......... if the non red small wire has continuity  to ground when not trying to start you have switch or short to ground . if the small non red wire  does not have good continuity to ground when all conditions met for starting then you have an open somewhere/cut wire/bad switch/ bad ground terminal.

but that will only hold true if indeed the solenoid is wired as I am thinking     gonna have to go to work  will check in late tonight if this helps you any

19 hours ago, folger86 said:

I tried bypassing my starter relay to test if it was bad, now my battery is draining and dying quickly.

please elaborate                             I am working from the wrong side of the internet and no 2006 wr in front of me  so give me some patience to be able to help...........if there was no help from my above questions   if you hook everything back up and remove the ten amp fuse does the electrical draw stop

I put a new starter relay in and reconnected everything yesterday and my battery was at 13.35 volts. Checked it again today and it hasn't changed, so I'm hoping it's good.

What is the normal draw on this bike when everything is off?