Some Lake Wenatchee area info

I have logged out most of the Lower Chiwawa trail. Starting at Deep Creek to almost the skid road that pops out on the

asphalt by Grouse Ck Campground. With the wind storm we had on Tuesday there might be some fresh windfall's. 

I stopped at the Leavenworth Ranger Station on Wed on the way to work and was informed that Goose CK Camp Ground might

not be open this weekend. As of Wed the tree cutter had not been in there to down danger trees and on Tuesday the water sample

had just been sent in to the health dept for testing. Who knows how long that will take.

The only trail that had been cleared by the UFSF trail crew was the Red Devil loop in the Mission CK drainage. She didn't say what

was next on there list. The closer I get to the other end of the Chiwawa trail the more downed trees there are so I can only imagine

what a mess Minnow Ridge and Chickimin Ridge will be. That's all I know about in the area.

Steve.... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Plain Steve said:

I have logged out most of the Lower Chiwawa trail. Starting at Deep Creek to almost the skid road that pops out on the

asphalt by Grouse Ck Campground. With the wind storm we had on Tuesday there might be some fresh windfall's. 

I stopped at the Leavenworth Ranger Station on Wed on the way to work and was informed that Goose CK Camp Ground might

not be open this weekend. As of Wed the tree cutter had not been in there to down danger trees and on Tuesday the water sample

had just been sent in to the health dept for testing. Who knows how long that will take.

The only trail that had been cleared by the UFSF trail crew was the Red Devil loop in the Mission CK drainage. She didn't say what

was next on there list. The closer I get to the other end of the Chiwawa trail the more downed trees there are so I can only imagine

what a mess Minnow Ridge and Chickimin Ridge will be. That's all I know about in the area.

Steve.... 

Thanks! Keep us posted. That's an area I have not been off road since I went deer hunting with my Triumph 800. I bagged one, but at the cost of a bike.... I can only assume the riding up there to be epic. The day I rode up there before hitting the deer, I was up at a cool USF forest overlook....(sugarloaf mtn??)

I put in a few hrs today and got it open to the skid road that pop's out at the 

asphalt by Grouse Creek CG. Goose Creek CG is still closed as far as I know

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, 525rider said:

Any updates on trail conditions and Goose Creek?

I haven't been out that way since last Friday, I would call the Leavenworth Ranger Station if you need info for this weekend.

On 5/30/2017 at 9:48 AM, Slackkinhard said:

what about Lower Mad?

Rumor has it its been logged out starting at Pine Flat CG for the first few miles, but don't quote me on it. I have a feeling if you

tried to ford Mad River and start at the top your voice would go up a few octaves. The water is really high everywhere because

of the the temps and snow melt.

• Like 1

I'd be interested helping you do some trail clearing. Have bike, have chainsaw and tons of experience and time.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, norsepeak said:

I'd be interested helping you do some trail clearing. Have bike, have chainsaw and tons of experience and time.

4 hours ago, jackrabbit23 said:

I too am interested in helping. Don't know much about the area, most weekends are open.

I have Tuesdays off and if I get a wild hair that's when I usually go and do it. Living only 30 min from the area it's a quick

trip to the trail head. Working nights I don't drag my self out of bed till 11 am and make the decision to go or not.

If the USFS crew had not been in the area yet I would suggest starting at the far west end of the Lower Chiwawa trail and

head up Minnow Ridge trail and start cutting. When I have been clearing I have done it to ORV standards. Not to hard to 

figure out what they are, just look at previous cut logs and keep the same width. 

I consider these beginners trails so I like to cut wide to keep them a little safer from blunt force trauma from ends of 

logs that have been cut but still in the air. Brush is one of my other dislikes. Hate eye pokers and purple nurple's.

Let someone know were your going and a general time you will be back if you go alone like I do most of the time. Verizon

works the best up there for cell phone coverage.

I have learned over the years that cotton sucks so wear your riding gear and not Levi's or what ever as they get wet from

sweat, they cling to your body and just plain suck. Same goes for cotton shirts and even under ware. Bring a lot of water

and drink it. Same goes for food.

Be Safe

IMG_20170512_171754[1].jpg

• Like 4

Went riding yesterday evening and logged out the rest of Lower Chiwawa so its open end to end. Today logged out lower Alder Ridge, not pretty but it and the road that heads

toward Maverick Saddle is open. Also Goose Creek Camp Ground is open. Bring a gallon of bug juice with you as they are thicker then thick.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2017 at 7:52 AM, TigerTanker said:

Thanks! Keep us posted. That's an area I have not been off road since I went deer hunting with my Triumph 800. I bagged one, but at the cost of a bike.... I can only assume the riding up there to be epic. The day I rode up there before hitting the deer, I was up at a cool USF forest overlook....(sugarloaf mtn??)

This is the area I will be using for the fall charity ride the weekend of Sept 16th

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Plain Steve said:

Went riding yesterday evening and logged out the rest of Lower Chiwawa so its open end to end. Today logged out lower Alder Ridge, not pretty but it and the road that heads

toward Maverick Saddle is open. Also Goose Creek Camp Ground is open. Bring a gallon of bug juice with you as they are thicker then thick.

Steve,

I would like to come help you clear. When will you go again ?  Call me or send a pm. ph: 206 999 3426

I am planning on going to Goose Creek tomorrow midday and if someone comes to help I'd clear trails on Saturday, but not doing it by myself anymore.

Frank

With all the wind we had this week I would guess there are some fresh windfall's

over the trails. A week ago today two friend's and I cleared the first 3.6 miles of the

Minnow Ridge trail to were it pop's out on the Chikamin road. It still needs work

but it's open. 

IMG_20170609_190501[1].jpg

• Like 2