Rekluse Installation Help!

Hi guys,

We installed my new Recluse Core EXP 3.0 into my 2017 KTM 250 XC-W this evening (the bike has 8 hours on it). We followed the instructions to the letter. When it came to choosing which friction plates to use with the clutch plates, we need to use one (1) of the thinner ones to get it into spec (truthfully we were a hair over spec, otherwise we were under and outside of the range by a greater amount than we were over). Installed the rest of the system, Slave, etc. Fired up the bike and found our 1/8' of an inch movement in the clutch at a mid throttle blip. Put the bike in gear and let our the clutch in first gear. The bike was kinda lurchy, and jumping trying to roll forward... I could hold it back with my legs, but it wanted to go on it's own. We adjusted the slave, and were only able to make it either jump and lurch forward a little less, and engage when rolling on the throttle, OR back it off enough that the bike didn't want to roll out without throttle, but when giving it gas it wouldn't roll forward.... we couldn't find a sweet spot where it wouldn't want to pull forward on it's own, and engage when on the gas. Now, if I put it in 2nd gear I can find that sweet spot, and it behaved as I expected it to.

Is the term for this "dragging"??

A lot of information above, I know. Is this normal? Something tells me it's not supposed to do that? Is it because we are a tiny tiny tiny tiny little bit over spec on our measurement of the clutch plate/friction plate combination? Or does it just need to be broken in? We were unable to do the "break in" as it was past 10pm and didn't want to upset the neighbours anymore than we already had....

Help!

Try bleeding again

So is this lurching not normal? When you're in 1st gear, clutch out at a stand still your bike doesn't want to lurch forward? Not even a little bit?

The backing off the adjustment should make the issue you described worse and the bike should pull as normal without the AC. I would review the initial slave setup and get the bike to or close to normal operating temp. Mine does drag a little too much when cold but is great when the bike is warmed up.

Rekluse is very good about answering questions. If you're sure of your install set up, I would set it back to where it was its best, at barely wanting to creep and coming on with any throttle input while still having the recommended lever travel on blip. Go ride it and break it in as recommended. Recheck, tweak it, ride, recheck, tweak it.........

1st gear is really low, so just the drag from oil between plates is enough to want to propel the bike.

What oil are you running?

Rekluse is very good about answering questions. If you're sure of your install set up, I would set it back to where it was its best, at barely wanting to creep and coming on with any throttle input while still having the recommended lever travel on blip. Go ride it and break it in as recommended. Recheck, tweak it, ride, recheck, tweak it.........
1st gear is really low, so just the drag from oil between plates is enough to want to propel the bike.
What oil are you running?

I'm running Motorex 10w 30 (I have a previous Thea's asking if this is okay... as it's what the dealership told me to use contrary to the manual 15w-50)

Something else we just realized... the black ring that holds the clutch pack in place (the ring that has the " I, II, and III" marked on it) was installed in the II position... not the III position like indicated (not sure why we did that?). Could that have an effect on things?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, quikcolin said:

Something else we just realized... the black ring that holds the clutch pack in place (the ring that has the " I, II, and III" marked on it) was installed in the II position... not the III position like indicated (not sure why we did that?). Could that have an effect on things?

Yes. Use the position prescribed in the Rekluse install instructions. Rekluse also recommends a specific oil to run.

Yes.