Does this new piston corrosion matter?

I bought a new YZX a couple of weeks ago and was looking at the spares Yamaha includes. Noticed the piston sure looks spotty. Not sure if it matters in the least, but I'd guess it was sitting around a while.  Would you bother bringing this up with Yamaha?

IMG_20170525_141443_zpsvbg3jxyp.jpg

Tia

Edited by nicad

Can't confirm this is standard practice but my then new 2010 YZ125 came with the following:

- Yamaha service manual

- spark plug tool

- spoke wrench

- triangular bike stand

- YPVS linkage assembly tool (spacer)

-  #43-74 "1/2 clip richer" needle

- #430 main jet

- complete engine gasket and o-ring set (including a few extras)

Edited by mlatour
  • Like 2

I didn't get a spark plug wrench, but did receive the manual, piston, rings, gaskets, spoke wrench some jets.. I was supposed to get a knapsack , or some such thing, but the dealer did not have the swag, so I didn't push it.  If any US based prospective YZX owners can get a Canadian version across your border without excessive taxes or duty there are savings to be had if there are any YZX left in inventory. It was getting thin when I pulled the plug, but the price was very good considering our dollar has tanked.

Edited by nicad
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mrcribbs said:

You guys in Canada get spare parts with new bikes?

They know we will blow them up!

• Like 2

On 5/26/2017 at 9:05 AM, nicad said:

I bought a new YZX a couple of weeks ago and was looking at the spares Yamaha includes. Noticed the piston sure looks spotty. Not sure if it matters in the least, but I'd guess it was sitting around a while.  Would you bother bringing this up with Yamaha?

IMG_20170525_141443_zpsvbg3jxyp.jpg

Tia

I've ordered OEM pistons before that looked like that.  It shouldn't give you any problems as long as you can't feel anything with your fingers.

• Like 1

Here in Canada, with OEM parts selling for 2-1/2 times of what the advertised US online vendor prices are,

perhaps Yamaha feels it's a little comforting to us to include a little free extra on a 8000$ + 14% sales tax bike.

Example, a TTR230 oil filter :

US based online vendor:  6.50$ USD   

Canadian dealership: about 16.95$ CAN plus 14% sales tax.

Edited by mlatour

1 hour ago, mlatour said:

Here in Canada, with OEM parts selling for 2-1/2 times of what the advertised US online vendor prices are,

perhaps Yamaha feels it's a little comforting to us to include a little free extra on a 8000$ + 14% sales tax bike.

Example, a TTR230 oil filter :

US based online vendor:  6.50$ USD   

Canadian dealership: about 16.95$ CAN plus 14% sales tax.

Wow that is nuts..... had no idea the tax rate was that high...

That is true, but for some reason with the Canadian dollar in the tank we are paying the lowest purchase price around for the YZX. Retail list is currently $5700 USD. I also found that through the big internet retailer in Canada named fort nine, many of the gear items I ended up buying were less than  in the US. This is surprising for me, as I am used to buying car parts exclusively from us internet sources at great savings compared to local. 

I expect our dealer pricing on parts  as mentioned are right out of line, as is taxation in general in Canada.

Ktms are priced way Higher in Canada

Vs the purchase price of a Yamaha compared to the US.

Well that is a good price, mine was $6800 US in OR and that was $1700 less than the local stoodges wanted, felt like I stole if.   You could almost buy 2 bikes there  for the price of one Katoom...lol