Carb shim ?

Picked up an 02 XR650l last week. Gonna de-smog, de-snorkel, and do Daves carb mod tomorrow. From reading some post it seems like the needle already has a shim on it from the factory. My question is do I add the .030" shim on top of it or remove the factory shim entirely? 

My new 2016 had no shim when I did the mods last week.  I just added a washer.  

• Like 1

Thanks Pat.  I'm hoping mine doesn't have a shim either.  I've done carb work in the past but many years ago.  Any tips or suggestions since you just did it last week?  How are you liking the results?

It is very easy to do and here is a good write up on doing it.  https://4strokes.com/viewtopic.php?t=2

If you have a later carb you will have a Welch plug to drill out on the fuel screw. You won't have a shim unless it has already been done.  It took all of 1 hr at the most to do it taking my time.  Runs 100% better but I am still going the FCR carb for the real throttle response that we all want, makes roll on wheelies way better :)

I wanted to do the daves mods to see the difference though since I enjoy to document the progression of my mods.

Just did the de-smog, de-snorkel, uni filter, Daves carb mod, and changed the oil & filter on the 650l. I'm happy with the results. It seems more responsive and sounds better. If it helps anyone I grabbed the smallest e-clip from Tractor Supply for the shim. It was the perfect thickness (used a micrometer) and clipped right on the needle. I'm new to this site so thanks guys for the help. I did a lot of reading throughout the week.  

Not yet in about a month. Gonna go with the power bomb header. Any suggestions on the muffler?  I'm always out late and getting home past midnight so I'm hoping to get something a little quiet. 

I can tell you one not to get if you want low noise levels.  My yoshimura is loud.

Edited by Pat4wd

My Big Gun is loud as well, they sell a quiet insert, but say it wont work with 650CC, to much back pressure....wish I would have known that little piece of info before I bought it. Anyway, they say all this stuff can't add additional HP, I beg to differ, it just feels like I have more power, better throttle response and so on!

If you want just a touch more flow I would say pull the 'baffle pipe' (it's not really a baffle) from the exhaust and test ride it (it will sound like crap), if the flow is improved enough for you then pull the pipe from the end cap and put the end cap back on. As much flow as no 'baffle' I think but a lot quieter and sounds pretty good.

The hole is still too small with the baffle on the ''cap'' or just the ''cap''.

If you pull the pipe out of the cap, the hole in the cap is almost as large as the inlet, which given the buffering volume of the muffler means there's not much more there than with the cap all the way off. But of course all the other guts are still there.

I have ridden it with the cap off, and the pipe out of the cap, and there may be some difference but I really hate the way it sounds with just no cap. Of course pulling the whole cap doesn't make much difference in the first place- but a small free gain is a gain!

They're not loud with the baffle and its end cap off , but they sound like a lawnmower.

Compared to an aftermarket exhaust, agree.

Compared to the max-stealth creeping-through-back-yards stock exhaust, it's significantly louder.