Kx85 oil question

So I changed my oil and went on a ride. When I came back it was half on the peep whole so I put like 5 ounces of oil in it and it was half way again. Long story short I can back from another ride same thing. Is this normal?

ps it's only a tiny bit of oil every time not a huge amount

If you can't see any external leaks (countershaft seal, shift shaft seal, case mating gasket etc.)

you can then suspect your right hand side crank seal is worn or damaged

(can be checked by performing a crankcase leakdown test, look up 'how to pressure test a 2-stroke' sticky in the Honda 2T sub-forum.

Has your engine been running richer lately? Perhaps fouling or weird deposits on the spark plug?

If so, the gearbox oil is likely being sucked past the RH crank seal and into the crankcase.

Edited by mlatour

57 minutes ago, mlatour said:

If you can't see any external leaks (countershaft seal, shift shaft seal, case mating gasket etc.)

you can then suspect your right hand side crank seal is worn or damaged

(can be checked by performing a crankcase leakdown test, look up 'how to pressure test a 2-stroke' sticky in the Honda 2T sub-forum.

Has your engine been running richer lately? Perhaps fouling or weird deposits on the spark plug?

If so, the gearbox oil is likely being sucked past the RH crank seal and into the crankcase.

No it's been running really well. Is this problem something that needs to be adressed right away?

If it's the case, it's not as critical as a worn left hand side crank seal which sucks in air and

if severe enough leans out the air/fuel ratio enough to seize it.

But, it won't get any better by itself.  2-strokes are simple but everything is a wear item, including these seals.

(no matter how good they may look: reeds, silencer packing, piston/ring, crank seals all wear out with usage)

What happens is most fail to troubleshoot crank seals, and since the engine runs rich due to gearbox oil being sucked in they lean out the jetting,

missing out on performance and, the cooling effect the fuel provides.  Leaner jetting = less fuel = less cooling.

(Oil lubricates, but it's the gas that cools the internals)

You can build you own crankcase leakdown tester for about 25$ worth of commonly available supplies from a hardware and auto parts stores.

Testing your engine takes less than an hour and, can save you from chasing your tail when trying to fine tune it / troubleshoot problems.

Edited by mlatour