Jump to content

Anyone see an articulated rear fender?

Recommended Posts

I got a screwy idea to make it easier to sling my leg over the seat and rear fender.  Newer dirt bikes with no rider are quite high in the rear, and I'm inseam challenged, so I've been eyeing all the empty space between the rear tire and fender.  My idea is to cut the fender free from the frame, and attach the front edge of it with a hinge.  The hinge could be as simple as a chunk of discarded conveyor belt.  Then, the rear of the fender would be supported by two light links to the swing arm.  The length of the links would be such that the fender was perhaps four inches above the tire instead of 8 or 10.  The fender would then move up and down with the swing arm, maintaining a more or less constant clearance between tire and fender.  This would allow enough space to keep it from loading up with mud, but reduce the height needed to swing my stiff old leg over the back of the bike.  I've looked around internet a bit and haven't seen anything like that, but maybe some of you have seen or heard of this being done.

Comments would be welcome.  If I get time, I'll fab up a test.

tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, geezer99 said:

I got a screwy idea to make it easier to sling my leg over the seat and rear fender.  Newer dirt bikes with no rider are quite high in the rear, and I'm inseam challenged, so I've been eyeing all the empty space between the rear tire and fender.  My idea is to cut the fender free from the frame, and attach the front edge of it with a hinge.  The hinge could be as simple as a chunk of discarded conveyor belt.  Then, the rear of the fender would be supported by two light links to the swing arm.  The length of the links would be such that the fender was perhaps four inches above the tire instead of 8 or 10.  The fender would then move up and down with the swing arm, maintaining a more or less constant clearance between tire and fender.  This would allow enough space to keep it from loading up with mud, but reduce the height needed to swing my stiff old leg over the back of the bike.  I've looked around internet a bit and haven't seen anything like that, but maybe some of you have seen or heard of this being done.

Comments would be welcome.  If I get time, I'll fab up a test.

tom

Do it.  If i get to the point I need one I want to see how yours is done first.  Remember we are a group that tends to buy what the SX riders ride in far greater numbers than what the offroad crowd rides (meanting we won't admit that we won't feel the unsprung weight,  so we won't use one.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So... what you are thinking about is what they more or less put on sport bikes? Did you know, at one time, The fenders were mounted to the lower section of fork and on some bikes, to the swing arm. That practice stopped due to mud accumulation (all that unsprung weight!!!) and in a crash, the fender often would fold and get wrapped onto the tire. So they went with fenders mounted under the triple and up under the seat.

I too, and inseam challenged, being all of 27.5" and ride bikes with a seat height of 35". Add to that I am 60, had two knee replacements and far from flexible. Top it with the fact I run fender /tail bags I have to 'swing' - I am a graceful SOB. You get used to dealing with it and other than my tail bag getting muddy from my boot, it is not a big deal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ossagp said:

Remember we are a group that tends to buy what the SX riders ride in far greater numbers than what the offroad crowd

I'm kind of a loner, and mostly ride by myself.  What is SX vs offroad crowd?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've inadvertently articulated a few rear fenders in my day. Not like you are describing, but they articulated...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, geezer99 said:

I'm kind of a loner, and mostly ride by myself.  What is SX vs offroad crowd?

I believe he's referring to how most of us would would only use the mainstream products and styles that the Supercross (SX) rider's use and advertise rather than a fender system that no one else is using. With some of the offroad riders, they may be more likely to use something that is more functional/utilitarian rather than just using products that are based on appearances. 

Edited by 3ackary87

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Spanky said:

 I'd like a fender ... smacking me in the ass when I'm all the way back

Ya ya, we know all about your proclivities "Spanky" 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kompact said:

Ya ya, we know all about your proclivities "Spanky" 

What's wrong with you? I know it's a car therefore I'm clearly a manly man.:moon:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't see that red arsed emoticon! That woulda been perfect.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 3ackary87 said:

I believe he's referring to how most of us would would only use the mainstream products and styles that the Supercross (SX)

That's what I was asking, what is SX?  Supercross.  I'll go look that up.

thanks, tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, geezer99 said:

That's what I was asking, what is SX?  Supercross.  I'll go look that up.

thanks, tom

Supercross is a bastardized form of motocross that's been twisted for the sole intention of being a spectator show.

The Outdoor Nationals are the true Pro racing.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mikea 2 said:

I've inadvertently articulated a few rear fenders in my day. Not like you are describing, but they articulated...

Me too!  But I'm wanting it work more than once.  Also forks, handlebars, brake levers, gas tanks, wheels, and my limbs.

tom   :ride:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, The Spanky said:

Not so sure I'd like a fender moving up and smacking me in the ass when I'm all the way back on my seat hammering whoops...

If you like tickling better than spanking, how about mounting a feather on it?

tom    :rolleyes:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, geezer99 said:

I'm kind of a loner, and mostly ride by myself.  What is SX vs offroad crowd?

In this case supercross wannabes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×