Trail 717 by divide question

I know a lot of you have been down there riding, we have never been. We are thinking of meeting the in-laws down there for a camping trip since that is middle ground. They live in Walsenburg, we live up by Longmont. We are thinking of going to divide, then up North out of town to find a camp spot. I will be towing a 40' toyhauler and from google earth and the in laws visit last weekend it looks like we can camp in a lot of areas. We plan on doing this over Father's Day weekend. Will it be a zoo down there over this holiday? Trails look very easy for the wife and daughter on quads, I will have my WR to play on this trip. Any suggestions on camp areas?

I went down there today. Went North on CR5 out of divide over to Rule Ridge trailhead and a few miles down that route. Plenty of spaces for me to get my rig in. We will get down there Thursday before Father's Day so I see no issues getting a good off the beaten path spot. Looking forward to new grounds to explore.

Well...maybe!  People are hauling rigs in earlier and earlier all the time and parking them to reserve a spot. Let us know how it goes and good luck!

As far as riding, yeah, the main loop is pretty mellow, but don't miss the lettered trails, plus there is one genuine singletrack over by E that has some decent rock obstacles, but its short. There are other good trails in the vicinity. Get yourself a map that one of the clubs I belong to (CMTRA) produces.  Its called North Divide and South Rampart Range.

• Like 1

I have a paper map, MVUM Pikes Peak Ranger District and have it on the Avenza app for android. Are the maps your clubs provide any different? I feel being down there for so many days it will give plenty of time to explore all the off paths. I bring map and highlighter with on these adventures so I know what trails I have gone down. I will hunt down that ST, thanks for the heads up for that one. Looking forward to new adventures. Spent years on Rampart, then steered away hitting Northern trails for years.

Edited by morphrider

MVUM will work, but its big and they tear easily....especially if its windy. The new version of the map I mentioned is available on Avenza and it looks just like a Rampart map....except its for a different area. I don't think it says CMTRA on it, but some members put forth all the effort to create it...and its alot better than what we had before.

735. Theres another....but its alot different, down it isn't so bad. Up is another matter entirely.

As far as campsites, the forest service came through a few years ago and eliminated alot of the nice spots. There is a good one for big rigs at junction of 362/363, but its often taken. There are a few others over that way too, but who knows what will be taken and what not.

+1 on what Dave said. Some weekends can be a zoo down there with trailers, but there are a couple decent places to get big trailers into. There are a number of sites off CR5, Manchester Creek road- I would not go down FS357 with a big trailer, there are a lot of diversion ruts there that you will hang up on. I have a 33ft toy hauler, and prefer to go to the west end, 362/363 area as there are a handful of large places to get into.

there are many large sites on 363, but I would not go any farther than this one, before turning around as the road gets tighter after this and there are no places to turn around. 

39.055644, -105.191299

362 has a couple sites, the last one being the base of Signal Butte (362A), but is a bit challenging to get big vehicles into. you can go all the way up to 364, but I would not try to go any further, turn around at 362/364. 

39.073127, -105.199338 

main loop is well traveled, and some of it whooped out like rampart. Interior arterial trails seem to see less use and are fun. There's stuff on the west end that does not see as much usage, head out 717E and ride 731/735, cross over to Sportsman road and there is more trail to ride that way. 

the singletrack is here:

39.048013, -105.281092 

to roughly here:

39.055114, -105.273935

• Like 1