Just looking to get a few opinions on a Rekluse clutch,I'm an old bastid starting out(on dirt anyway)on a 2007 CRF 450R I purchased a few months back.Just beginning on a couple of local tracks and looks like it would be an aid to a geezer(I know learning clutch control is a biggie but don't know how much time I have left to learn it:lol:)so hoping for some feedback from a few of you guys running one.

Thanks,

Jeff

https://rekluse.com/product/core-exp-3-0-clutch/

You've really opened a can of worms now... I think everyone is waiting for the first shot to be fired, and then Armageddon will begin.

You can use the search function up there at the top of the page and you will quickly see that there are many posts-even recent posts-about this subject.

Please DO NOT ask peoples opinions on this product. Just read the past posts.

Notice I am remaining neutral in my comments. No shot fired here. Put your guns down people.

Thanks,will do.

Just tried 2 searches containing "Rekluse Clutch" and nothing came up,but am interested as to why it's evidently a touchy subject?

Edited by piratediverjefff

2 hours ago, piratediverjefff said:

Just looking to get a few opinions on a Rekluse clutch,I'm an old bastid starting out(on dirt anyway)on a 2007 CRF 450R I purchased a few months back.Just beginning on a couple of local tracks and looks like it would be an aid to a geezer(I know learning clutch control is a biggie but don't know how much time I have left to learn it:lol:)so hoping for some feedback from a few of you guys running one.

Thanks,

Jeff

Most of the info you'll find on the internet will be about off road riders and racers using various auto clutches that they generically refer to as Rekluse.

I think the Core EXP you linked to would be an excellent choice for senior/amateur MX. It will virtually eliminate engine stalls and make gear selection in corners less critical, especially when working your way through slower or downed riders.

Just don't get lazy and use it to avoid shifting

Edited by motovita
f
  • Like 2

Definitely peaked my interest as I'll be 64 next month and have some nerve damage in my clutch hand from a pretty nasty street bike crash back in 2002(broken pelvis,left hand,nose,30 stitches across my forehead[even with a full Shoei],hole in my left shin,etc.,etc.,etc.,8 weeks in the hospital).Have read quite a few reviews that seemed pretty positive and thought it may help some in my situation.

only value on a track would be not stalling if you fall, otherwise a hinderence IMO.  You don't necessarily  need great clutch skills with a 450 on a track.

• Like 3

The not stalling feature first caught my eye,as on my maiden voyage at Elsinore I stalled it trying to get out of a muddy spot and after about a 100 kicks(had the hot start lever pulled but like a beginner/dumb ass more than likely flooded it[twisted the throttle every 4 or 5 kicks]),ended up pushing it about a 1/4 mile back to where I was parked.A 90 degree day and I was wheezing/sweating so bad I thought I was gonna stroke out,wasn't a great 1st experience.:lol: Hadn't even heard of these kind of clutches until today so just thought I'd investigate a little,don't have an extra $900 lying around at the moment anyway and will just use the OEM manual for a while(going to Elsinore again this Sunday and hoping to not get smoked by girlfriend's 9 year old grandson on his CRF 80 :rolleyes:).Believe I can probably just run around in 2nd and 3rd gear for the most part,I weigh 250 but the bike seems to have plenty of grunt to haul my big ass around.

I’m an old geezer also and I have a Rekluse Core 3.0 EXP and a Recluse Left Hand Rear Brake on a 2015 WR250F.  I know I should learn better clutch control but at age 65 it might take till I’m dead. I’d rather just have fun now.  

There seams to be a lot of confusion about how it all works.  - The auto clutch engages as you roll on the throttle at the same rate every time.  You now have one variable (throttle) to control when gaining speed instead of two as the clutch rate of engagement is fixed and predictable.  To keep gear wear to minimum I use the clutch to shift as the auto clutch does not disengage when rolling off the gas during shifts.  I can ride in a taller gear without stalling or fear of stalling - less shifting overall. I rarely use first. I leave it in second when I start, stop, and turn off the engine. I can tackle technical hills more confidently with less chance of falling. I can put a foot down on a hill and just keep slowly plodding up with the clutch slipping at the same rate by throttle control alone. I’ve crashed on steep hills and been able to walk the bike over the crest of the hill using the throttle as I walk next to the bike.  I’ve tried that before with a manual clutch and it can be done but it’s far harder.  I can stop and wait for my wife to catch up on her ATV without holding the clutch lever in - just leave it gear (two hands free to check the map etc) and go again with the throttle.

There are a couple drawbacks - The clutch will disengage when the rpm’s drop too low (the clutch engagement rpm level can be changed - I left mine as is).  If you stop going up a hill, the bike will roll backwards unless you put on a brake - having the LHRB helps.  If you are going down a steep hill the clutch will disengage if you slow down below the engagement rpm level and you will suddenly lose your engine braking - you can give a quick blip to the throttle to re-engage the engine to the rear wheel or use the LHRB.  I keep a velcro strap handy that I can wrap around either brake lever if I need to stand the bike back up on a steep hill or park on a hill.

The LHRB is a great addition just by itself.  I can can go down winding, steep hills while standing up using both hand brakes - like on a mountain bike.  It makes steep downhills less scary. I can put either foot down while still having both brakes available.  The braking feel is much better than the foot brake.  The Rekluse brake is very adjustable.   If I’m in rolling up and down terrain I ride standing up with the right hand on the throttle and a left finger on the LHRB instead of the clutch.  I takes a few rides to get the muscle memory of having two levers over there - no fun grabbing the brake to shift gears.  I can’t image the auto clutch without the LHRB.

Riding is easier, uses less energy, and enables me to tackle harder terrain than I could otherwise at my skill level. Stalling is a thing of the past.  I crash less which is important when you are old and break easier.  I don’t think it would benefit an expert/pro-level enduro rider who needs and has precise clutch control at all rpm’s.

Edited by Old_Rider
  • Like 2

The not stalling feature first caught my eye,as on my maiden voyage at Elsinore I stalled it trying to get out of a muddy spot and after about a 100 kicks(had the hot start lever pulled but like a beginner/dumb ass more than likely flooded it[twisted the throttle every 4 or 5 kicks]),ended up pushing it about a 1/4 mile back to where I was parked.A 90 degree day and I was wheezing/sweating so bad I thought I was gonna stroke out,wasn't a great 1st experience.:lol: Hadn't even heard of these kind of clutches until today so just thought I'd investigate a little,don't have an extra $900 lying around at the moment anyway and will just use the OEM manual for a while(going to Elsinore again this Sunday and hoping to not get smoked by girlfriend's 9 year old grandson on his CRF 80 :rolleyes:).Believe I can probably just run around in 2nd and 3rd gear for the most part,I weigh 250 but the bike seems to have plenty of grunt to haul my big ass around.

I've been using one for about six years racing vet mx. It's an excellent tool on a motocross track. Clutch engagement off the gate is perfect every time, resulting in better starts. Stalling is a thing of the past, and gear selection, while still important, has a little leeway within reason. And, as you tire towards he end of a moto it saves you if you're late in clutching into the corner. Yes, you still use the clutch just as you normally would, but you can make a mistake and the Rekluse will cover for you. Do it, you will never regret having it.

Where are you located?

• Like 1

I'm the oldest to post so far and I have  Rekluse Core 3 on my CRF250X w/ LHRB and I like it, but since I added a heavy flywheel I don't know if I need it for trail riding. :banghead:

I spend more time riding technical stuff with a light weight XR218 and a Trials bike, using a manual clutch on both.

8 hours ago, wes513v said:

I've been using one for about six years racing vet mx. It's an excellent tool on a motocross track. Clutch engagement off the gate is perfect every time, resulting in better starts. Stalling is a thing of the past, and gear selection, while still important, has a little leeway within reason. And, as you tire towards he end of a moto it saves you if you're late in clutching into the corner. Yes, you still use the clutch just as you normally would, but you can make a mistake and the Rekluse will cover for you. Do it, you will never regret having it.

Where are you located?

I'm about 8 miles north of Elsinore in Horsethief Canyon Ranch and usually off work every Fri. thru Sun.If you have time would like to meet up some time if you're anywhere close to the area and check out your clutch/have you take a look at my bike,have a Hayabusa I street ride but don't know anyone in my area who rides dirt.

Thanks,

Jeff

• Like 1

I'm about 8 miles north of Elsinore in Horsethief Canyon Ranch and usually off work every Fri. thru Sun.If you have time would like to meet up some time if you're anywhere close to the area and check out your clutch/have you take a look at my bike,have a Hayabusa I street ride but don't know anyone in my area who rides dirt.
Thanks,
Jeff

I'm about 3.5 hours North of you, but we can get something planned. I'm off every other Friday, so if we can find someplace open, maybe an OHV area down there we could make it happen. A Saturday may work also.
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2017 at 8:07 PM, piratediverjefff said:

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi Jeff, Yeah you'll get a miriad of opinions on here about the recluse , but I have the 3.0 core in my TE 300 Husky and I love it. I like you got back into riding after being away from it for awhile I started back on a Honda 400 XR a great bike but I was getting killed by my buddies in the tight woods,so I stepped up to the Husky with the other miracle of the ages " THE MAGIC BUTTON " I love riding and it really does make things easier with the miracle of progress LOL!! Pay no attention to the nay sayers it's up to you to decide wether you like it or not personally I love the auto clutch. I'm 66 and I ride a lot these days as often as possible,just came back from a 10 day trip in Moab Utah

• Like 2

I'd suggest finding a bike with one already installed and see how you like it. I stepped off the 250 2t earlier this year and moved to the 450 and the only way I thought I could handle one in the woods was with a rekluse, turns out I was wrong. I understand their function and appeal, but personally I do not like the way they make the bike handle. 

tl;dr

Try one out before you dump $500+ on one.

• Like 1

I really like them, especially in the woods.  You can tune them to your liking with the EXP springs and wedge weights.  I had one in my YZ250FX and now my Beta 250RR.  Works great in both.  Conserves a lot of energy, never stalls, and you can still modulate the clutch lever whenever you want.  

• Like 1

Two comments about your post (and not really related to an opinion on the Rekluse).

1) dont know what you were doing when searching, but search on "rekluse" and you can be reading for days.  Or go to advanced search and pick the forum you want to search in.

2)  Sounds like you dont have any dirt bike experience and you are 64 and you are seriously wanting to ride MX tracks.  This is a disaster waiting to happen.  Only guys that I know that still MX (at my age - 55) are those that grew up doing it.  Anyone who didnt grow up riding MX tracks and decides to get into it will end up injured and out of riding shortly.

Offroad riding is where it is at for guys in their 60's.  And you have the wrong bike for offroad riding.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SilvFx said:

Two comments about your post (and not really related to an opinion on the Rekluse).

1) dont know what you were doing when searching, but search on "rekluse" and you can be reading for days.  Or go to advanced search and pick the forum you want to search in.

2)  Sounds like you dont have any dirt bike experience and you are 64 and you are seriously wanting to ride MX tracks.  This is a disaster waiting to happen.  Only guys that I know that still MX (at my age - 55) are those that grew up doing it.  Anyone who didnt grow up riding MX tracks and decides to get into it will end up injured and out of riding shortly.

Offroad riding is where it is at for guys in their 60's.  And you have the wrong bike for offroad riding.

I eventually found the past posts on the Rekluse and you're right,definitely a lot of reading!Went out to Elsinore again this past Sunday and Monday and had a great 2nd outing with girlfriend's two grand kids who are 6 and 9 and have a CRF 50 and 80,probably only made a total of 30 laps and legs are still sore but had a blast and this time never managed to stall the bike.Not expecting to ever ride like a pro or take too many big risks at my age but do like the whole MX aspect and will ease into it.Thanks for your advice and concern bro,do appreciate it but I'm not(at this time anyway)really interested in off road stuff other than some desert riding.

Jeff, I raced my first mx at 48. My third mx race ever was at Glen Helen on the national track. I finished mid pack. You will be fine on an mx track. Our club has plenty of 60 plus riders, not all grew up racing. I was out of riding for almost 30 years and then started off trail riding, but always wanted to race. The OTHG gave me the perfect opportunity. Look up Othgmx.org.

• Like 3

If you plan on trail riding that CRF I highly recommend you invest in one of the Rekluse versions.  That bike (yes, I have experience with an 07 and 11, my sons have them) is a PITA for trail riding with the somewhat tall 1st gear and close ratio trans, you will be constantly shifting and stalling without it.  For track, I don't see the need.

• Like 1