'07 CRF405R fork rebuild issue

I'm in the process of rebuilding the forks on my bike and i'm not sure if I have an issue or not.  When I add oil in the inner cartridge I pump the damper rod like suggested in other posts to remove the air (I actually let them sit overnight) and then I screwed in the upper (cap).  Once I did this, I read to push the rod all the way in to bottom it out to remove the excess oil.  As your pushing up on the damper rod is it supposed to come back out on it's own (rebound)?  Mine will just stay at wherever I push it in to.  Is this normal???  I've replaced all of the seals on everything and it's all stock, except I installed new gold valves.  

Any help is much appreciated!  I'm trying to get it back together to ride this weekend.

No
You need new ICS seal and damper rod seals.
Look up:
Synergy seals in valley springs California.
They're expensive but they work.
Now you're REALLY gonna rebuild them...

• Like 1

I've already installed a new damper rod seal.  Would the ICS seal by itself do this?

It's not bad.
Use vice grips to pull the whole shim stack off. While the top cap is in the vice. The bitch is getting the old seal out. Use heat to expand the ID. Then a thin prying tool. Good luck...

• Like 1

The guys above are correct. You most likely have faulty ICS seals, OR you did not properly bleed the cartridge. The rod should rebound ALL THE WAY out on it's own once you release the pressure from pushing it in.

When you replaced the damper rod seals, did you wrap the threads of the damper rod with teflon tape so that you did not damage the new rod seal when putting the rod back in? It's possible to put a new damper rod seal in, and then promptly cut it, or otherwise damage it, when installing the rod.

If you are sure the rod seals are good, then the ICS seals are the next suspect. All this hinges on the fact that you bled the cartridges correctly.

I just serviced my forks today as a general service. I have previously replaced the rod seals, and the ICS seals on both forks. I was able to bleed my cartridges, install the cap, and they both extended all the way out on their own immediately. It took me less than 20 minutes to assemble and bleed both cartridges. I did not have to wait over-night. If you are trying to bleed your cartridges-before you put your cap on-and there are lots of tiny bubbles coming up in the fluid, then your damper rod seals are damaged!!! There should be NO bubbles coming up/out when you are bleeding the cartridge after the first few times you compress and then extend the rod. Mine were burped, or bled, after just two compress and extensions. Again, from pouring the oil into the cartridge, to putting on the cap was less than 10 minutes.

I did protect the threads on the damper rod to prevent it form tearing the new rod seals.  I found out they were bad as i was originally trying to bleed them and couldn't get it to stop sucking air.  As I was going through the troubleshooting process, I just decided to let them sit overnight to see if that made a difference and of course it didn't.  They work, great, it's probably just the bad ICS seal that needs to be replaced now.  Got new ones on order already.  Thanks for your help guys!