Got the first bike I had bought since I was a teenager back

It is a 2001 CR80.  I bought it back then for my son.  The pics are what it looked like when I sold it 6 years ago. It looks a lot worse today.  I sold it for $1200 got it back for $600.  It is going to be my wife's bike.  It has a 52mm 105cc big bore cylinder on it with low/mid porting.  It used to have a flywheel weight on it and it will get it back.  Future plans are a 2004 plastics and tank change and the RB conversion.  It is too much bike for my wife but we are planning on having her break into it slowly.  As soon as I can get some new pics I will post them and you will see how much she was neglected. 

100_1408.JPG

100_1409.JPG

Edited by frdbtr
  • Like 2

It is a 2001 CR80.  I bought it back then for my son.  The pics are what it looked like when I sold it 6 years ago. It looks a lot worse today.  I sold it for $1200 got it back for $600.  It is going to be my wife's bike.  It has a 52mm 105cc big bore cylinder on it with low/mid porting.  It used to have a flywheel weight on it and it will get it back.  Future plans are a 2004 plastics and tank change and the RB conversion.  It is too much bike for my wife but we are planning on having her break into it slowly.  As soon as I can get some new pics I will post them and you will see how much she was neglected. 
100_1408.JPG.0938b95414b08f5693093b8124cd4ce1.JPG
100_1409.JPG.8e7eb67b061b8e946e5f2bbc91291b1a.JPG

Haha way cool! I'm just curious, how did you find it?

I had sold the bike to my next door neighbor.  He had since divorced and moved away but he still kept in touch with me a bit.  When he decided to sell the bike, he contacted me and asked if I was interested.  My wife had wanted to get a bike for her so we discussed it and decided that this one would work (though it is pretty much too much bike for her).  Anyway, I am glad to have it back.  It needs a lot of work.  You are going to be really shocked at the difference in the pictures when I post them.

So the parts are rolling in.  No pics yet but Yesterday and today I got the following.  RB swingarm, RB rear brake (used from an 07), 19" front wheel in very good condition, and a JD jet kit for the 03-07 CR85 carbs.  Today I got, new Renthal grips, Swingarm Axle (new), New Renthal bar pad, and DID 420 o-ring chain.  On order is a silver excel 16" rear wheel, spoke kit, 55 tooth sprocket, an 05-07 28mm PWK carb new from honda east toledo, new 16" tube, rim tape, and an MX52 tire.  I ordered a tank and seat from an 04 cr85 that looked like it was in really good condition from an ebay seller for $135 but I have had absolutely no communication from him and it has been about 2 weeks and it still hasn't arrived.  I have emailed and texted him wiith no response.  If he doesn't respond or I don't get those Items by Monday, I am going to ask for a refund from ebay and I am going to order an 01 replica seat from Throttle Jockey and not do the conversion. 

I went about this rebuild differently than I did in the past because my wife is 5' 6", meaning that I went cosmetic on this rebuild before doing the motor rebuild.  So, the work that will be done soon will be a new wiseco piston/gasket kit.  I also need to pull the air filter and airbox and make sure the box and boot are spotless.  I am also going to replace the side plates and front number plate with new ones soon because she doesn't need a number on it and they are both pretty rough.  The front and rear fender are in pretty good condition, the front one was brand new when I sold it, it just needs the stickers taken off of it.  Pictures are coming soon as soon as I get the parts organized and get a good work area to work on the bike. 

Edited by frdbtr