Faulty Oil Separator causing idle issues?

My oil separator looks pretty grimey. Is it normal for them to get like that and "sweat"? I've noticed my bike seems to have some trouble holding idle, when you give the throttle some choppy blips in neutral. Seems similiar to an air leak on a car, I know it has a carb and all but I recall it being a little more forgiving when the bike was new.

Not sure if this is normal but was thinking this may be causing some issues.

2860B6B9-2D31-43B5-8215-031186A67D90_zps

How many miles are on the bike ? That black box shouldn't be seeping like that but some have complained of it . Possible that blowby is getting bad enough that your getting much more oil pushed in it or it causing the seems to open some . Take it of and see how much oil comes out , maybe it's just plugged some ,but it still shouldn't leak . Have you had the carb off recently , seeing if there was an oily film in the airbox or intake tract showing your getting a lot of oil sucked in the motor from the separator .

Either way I'd get a new one just to get rid of the oily mess , or  eliminate it with a T and filter as some have ,but it's a can of worms ...............

Edited by jjktmrider

Yeah, I figured as much so I ordered a new one anyway. A little background on the bike. Its a 2014 I bought new, probably has around 2-5K miles I would imagine. However I have dropped it pretty hard about 3-4 times on pavement. Bent subframes, cracked exhaust, etc. Being that its a plastic part I figured it might of had a little shock trauma and not be operating as intended. I've wiped that box down a bunch of times aswell. And it hasn't run much for it to look like that.

I'll check it out next time I have the bike apart.

Edited by SKIPPY PB

Ya ,with the low miles it has probably just gotten cracked at the seam . Not sure how much oil is in the mist normally on these bikes ,must be a fair amount if it gets messy in a hurry after cleaning . A good part to keep hooked up then 

That is most likely not causing your idle issue, but may be a symptom of a different problem.  If that  is full you should try to find out why.  That is just there to catch any oil mist,  it is not normal for it to become saturated.  

hmm, im not sure exactly how this separator is designed. When I get the manual for torque specs and such i'm going to realign the front forks and i'll take care of the separator aswell. Since I have a new one i'll throw the parts at it and cut the old one up to get a peak inside. Oil seems to be built up around the metal clamps as if they torn into the hose aswell. 

I'm not that familiar with the DRZ and carb'd 4-stroke's so i'm not sure if the idle deal is normal or a fault. The gas is stale as heck, probably a good 1-2 years sitting in the tank. And I haven't been able to take the bike out for a spin so in a couple weeks once I get plated and such i'll give it a good old Italian tune up and throw some fresh gas in there and see if it acts the same.

It can affect idle and they are the only real POS from the factory on the bike imo.  I've bought a few of these and they all separate along the bottom from the exhaust heat and the oil seeps around and looks like it's coming from loose hose clamps.  The inside is just a baffle with plastic filter element with little hexagon shapes up near the port for the hose that goes between the air filter and carburetor to catch the oil vapor that ends up in there from the pressures of blow by.  You can either create a bypass for this filter assembly or seal the bottom edge of the filter.   I noticed on mine I would have a hanging high idle until this was addressed shortly after I bought the bike.

separator.jpg

Return Tank.jpg

• Like 1