My 98 rm250 won't shift past 2nd when running. When the motor is off it will shift through all gears smoothly. But when running it will shift into first and second fine, then shift lever just won't raise to shift again. This just started all of a sudden on a ride. Always shifted fine before, no wrecks, haven't dropped it. Any idea of what to look for? Thanks in advance! 

Double check the shifter isn't slipping on the splines. You wouldn't be the 1at person to post and have it turn out to be that simple. If that isn't it, take the right engine side cover off and look at the shifting pawls, stopper wheel, ect for damage. If everything is intact there unfortunately the next step is to split the cases and look at the forks, drum, gears.

I checked splines already, couldn't get that lucky. I will take that cover off here in a bit. Still hopeful I won't have to split the case. Thanks for the help

Usually it's the drum with a wear spot on it with Suzuki.  Had more come stuck in gear tho and mostly 125s.  But have seen same thing in 250. Just be glad it's not slipping in gear.  That gets costly . First take your right side case cover off then take clutch basket off. Inspect shift mechanism, segment and paws first and if not any them will have to be split 

Edited by Motox367

Fixed! The detent spring, not sure what it's actually called, that brings the shift shaft to the center position was off. Thanks everyone for the help!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Ljharding_09 said:

Fixed! The detent spring, not sure what it's actually called, that brings the shift shaft to the center position was off. Thanks everyone for the help!

Good deal :thumbsup: but why did it come off is the question 

Edited by Motox367

The groove that it sets in had wore. I used a file and put a deeper groove in it. But if it happens again I'll have to get a new one coming.

• Like 1