Sign in to follow this  

New guy

Hello everyone, well I finally did it- I got a new(to me) dirtbike. 2009 CRF450X, still getting to know the girl but I think I am in love. I am old(45), been riding a  1997 CR500 for 17yrs and am finally done kicking. I lived in Colorado and the bike served me well, frame off rebuilds every 3 or so years always kept it fresh and tuned, it was perfect for the high country(and way easier to kick up there lol). Down here in Eastern Oklahoma it was just getting too much for this old man. Been dreaming of an X for sometime now, all my friends back in CO went the way of the thumper years ago, as I aged the 500 became harder to keep up with them. I rode a friends R for half a day in 2015 and I knew why I was so tired on the 500. My X is even insured and plated- I am too old to be running from the cops when they catch me on the county roads lol. Obviously I am a little disappointed in the power compared to her predecessor and the suspension feels like there are "heavy" springs in there. It definitely feels like a dessert bike. So I am poking around on here to see about some fixes from real world riders that know what actually works.

Sorry for the intro novel or if it was not in the right place(I could not find intro thread). Any help with stuff is greatly appreciated. 

• Like 2

Hey Terminator. I've got the same bike. Had it for 2 years now. Biggest tip I can give is to keep that oil fresh. I change mine about every 15 hours and I'm riding heavy in mid elevations. Also keep an eye on the temp of the bike. Mine heats up pretty fast if I'm just putting around. Other than that just have fun with it, you just got yourself one of the best machines out there!

• Like 1

First thing I did when I got it home was change both oils- 10w-30/trans, 10w-40/engine(its hot here already). Mine has a temp gauge stuck to the radiator and a thermostatically controlled electric fan. Any idea how hot is too hot? Fan seems to kick on at 180. Mine also has a Rekluse Z-start clutch, but previous owner removed the clutch lever,perch and cable and installed a hot start(only) perch. I hate not having the clutch there, parts are ordered and should be here Jun.2. what makes it worse, is the clutch is a tad tight(and I dont have the extra sized plates the cute girl in the video spoke of) and it stalls till its good and warmed up. Not a fan of the Rekluse at this point, but maybe my opinion will change after I have manual override. If not a OEM hub and steels will get ordered. The bike does not seem as responsive as the R's I have rode, so I am considering an aftermarket exhaust and jet/acc pump kit. The fork seals were leaking(I scraped cleaned them and they seem to be ok for now) and I put on new pads. I want to pull them apart, fix the seals and maybe go lighter springs(or preload shims) and/or some softer valving if they make such a thing on these cartridge style forks. I bought several"kits" for my 500 before I got the forks how I liked them. I am not super familiar with these new style forks. Maybe I will grow to like how the bike is set up once I get to some trails around here, but it would not cut it back in the "rocky" mountains I am used to riding in.

My neighbor rides, saw my bike(and rode it) and we are heading to Texas on Wed to pick him up the twin. I will be interested to compare the suspensions. We both agree this is the greatest dirtbike out there. He is 50 so maybe it is an age thing lol. There is gonna be a nice KX450F for sale along with a pristine CR500 lol.

• Like 1

Yep, I dont see ever buying another dirt bike, so I do not mind dropping some coin on this one to get it just the way I like it.

• Like 1

Nice wheels(just followed the link), but a bit pricey and no red/blk combo in 18? My neighbor has access to VERY cheap 19" tires, but they are all MX. He wants the 19 on back. From the little bit I have shopped, seems there is more selection of DOT's in 18". The 500 would eat a tire every camping trip, I am hoping to get some more mileage out them now.

10 minutes ago, Terminator69 said:

Nice wheels(just followed the link), but a bit pricey and no red/blk combo in 18? My neighbor has access to VERY cheap 19" tires, but they are all MX. He wants the 19 on back. From the little bit I have shopped, seems there is more selection of DOT's in 18". The 500 would eat a tire every camping trip, I am hoping to get some more mileage out them now.

i have a set of 19 inch with carbon hubs and yes they are 1.8k a set. but you know I had to have them

• Like 1

So here in central California, my bike runs around 180 when it's warms. Usually goes down to 165ish if I'm hauling ass through trails but when I'm screwing around in first gear it will climb up to 205. Hottest I've had it was 220 and had to haul some ass to let it breathe.
As far as throttle response goes, get a JD Jet kit. 90% of people on here will tell you that's the only kit that worth the price. Aftermarket exhaust is a good idea. I'm running a Yoshimura RS4 (I'm pretty sure it's the RS4), and I'm slightly frustrated with it due to a backfire problem I can't seem to make go away but other than that it works very well and lets people know you're coming. That and I got a screaming deal on the thing so I couldn't pass it up. Can't say anything about the accelerator pump. I've been told by friends that's it's like EFI for carborated bikes.
Forks seals are something I wish I knew more about. I blew mine out a couple months ago, and a couple hundred bucks later and multiple trips down to the mechanic, I finally got it back with the suspension more to my liking.
Also, something else I forgot to mention is your valves. I could be wrong but I believe they're supposed to be checked every 20 hours. These bikes have race motors in them, so they always run with that in mine. The biggest difference between the Xs and the Rs is their gearing. So valves are a constant.

• Like 2

I am well on my way to a grand in extras lol. JD was already ordered(I got one for the 500 when I moved down here and loved the one try process), valve shim kit(my one intake is at .011- needs adjusted), megabomb/powercore(seems to be about best bang for buck), emission delete kit, flexy air screw, mentioned clutch parts, odo-spacer, lighter small springs/valve kit/fork rebuild kit, and a set of D606's. It has the Endurance speedo/timer unit but I would like to upgrade to one with a tach and temp set up any suggestions?

Edited by Terminator69
comments on my choices?
  • Like 1

Vapor looks great! Plus I think it uses the same pick up as this endurance. Just got back from exploring the little roads around here, mostly everything is still flooded and I did not want that nasty lake water in everything. I hit 75 on the pavement and it had some left, very impressive for stock. The back firing is annoying and the forks need work. not gonna do much more till the valve shim kit comes in and I get the valves adjusted.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kgish475 said:

What's your sprocket gearing on it? Stock should be 13/51

my next project is to add the new honda pumper kit and the flexy air screw.   but it starts on first kick now. so no need to jack around too much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kgish475 said:

What's your sprocket gearing on it? Stock should be 13/51

Yep 13/51, I am hoping with all the mods it will pull 14/51- not for the top speed but to lower the r's a little at 65. I have to run about 10 miles down the pavement to get to this little 4x4 area. I just cut the top out of my airbox and removed the backfire screen sounds crisper already. Its going on the lift and getting ready for all the parts when they arrive. Dont want to run it anymore till valves are adjusted and carb is rejetted.

• Like 1