Drz400 fcr39 jetting issues

Hey guys. I'm having a difficult time getting my bike running right. I have the original drz, the "k" series, kickstart only. I just got this bike off Craigslist so I'm not 100% familiar with it but I will do my best to describe what's going on. It has a fcr39 carb, open air box ( not the 3x3 mod) full open yoshimura exhaust, cams from the e model, a k&n filter, a small stroker kit. My pipe was blue and bike is backfiring. Obviously running really lean. I am at 860 ft. Above sea level. I opened the carb up and saw the previous owner had a 60 pilot, 190 main, and the needle was at setting 5. I knew this was wrong, but I'm not an expert.  I need a jet kit, I'm having a very hard time finding a kit for the bike, since it makes more power than most stock bikes, With all the power adders on this thing. Can anyone please help me, I just want to ride!

No need for a jet kit. Go to jetsrus.com and order a 160 main jet, EMN needle, and a 45 pilot.

The Jet kits for the E also apply for the kicker model if you choose to go that direction.

Mods such as the 3x3 and "E" cams don't apply for your bike. Suzuki factory installed them for you. The S, SM and late model American E models we're detuned with different carburetors, ignition CDI boxes and smaller cams.

• Like 1

Thank you ohiodrz400sm, that was quick and easy, I appreciate your help! I will order the parts and let you know how she runs. But what position should I put the needle at 3?

Thank you ohiodrz400sm, that was quick and easy, I appreciate your help! I will order the parts and let you know how she runs. But what position should I put the needle at 3?

You could probably find the main and pilot at a local shop today. If you have the stock needle put it on the 5th clip. That should get you by until the EMN comes in. It should certainly be good enough to do some riding this weekend

Okay, I ordered a 160 main, EMN needle in the 3rd position, and a 50 pilot, and an extended fuel mixture screw. Installed all in about an hour. Turned screw to 2 turns out,   Gave her a kick, and wow. Bike sounds great, runs great, tons of power, and smiles from ear to ear. I appreciate your help ohiodrz400sm, you made my summer!

• Like 2

On 5/28/2017 at 0:09 AM, Randy Sorensen said:

Hey guys. I'm having a difficult time getting my bike running right. I have the original drz, the "k" series, kickstart only. I just got this bike off Craigslist so I'm not 100% familiar with it but I will do my best to describe what's going on. It has a fcr39 carb, open air box ( not the 3x3 mod) full open yoshimura exhaust, cams from the e model, a k&n filter, a small stroker kit. My pipe was blue and bike is backfiring. Obviously running really lean. I am at 860 ft. Above sea level. I opened the carb up and saw the previous owner had a 60 pilot, 190 main, and the needle was at setting 5. I knew this was wrong, but I'm not an expert.  I need a jet kit, I'm having a very hard time finding a kit for the bike, since it makes more power than most stock bikes, With all the power adders on this thing. Can anyone please help me, I just want to ride!

Just curious..... you bought the bike running like crap?...No test ride ?.....Jetting was way off for sure

I got this bike from a buddy who took it in on trade, he was doing me a huge favor and gave me the bike for 500 bucks, exactly what he had in it. I have spent roughly 400 bucks in parts and now have a  pretty much brand new bike, the whole bike is filled with aftermarket goodies and new parts. I'm your every day working guy with a small budget, thanks to good friends and awesome guys on this site, I'm now riding a super fun bike. I don't condone buying a bike without riding it, but this situation was a little different.