2017 ktm 300 xc stator output

Anyone know what the 2017 ktm 300 xc stock stator output is. looking to put a 54 watt light bar on it. Also would like to here what people are running for lights besides the oem style plug ins. I have a helmet light i also want to have a light on the bike to.

32 minutes ago, yamaha86421 said:

Anyone know what the 2017 ktm 300 xc stock stator output is. looking to put a 54 watt light bar on it. Also would like to here what people are running for lights besides the oem style plug ins. I have a helmet light i also want to have a light on the bike to.

30W... Your 54w light bar will drain the battery... 

25 minutes ago, Monk said:

30W... Your 54w light bar will drain the battery... 

Yes 54 watt will drain the battery, but you can build a rectifier and run lights off the ac side of the stator which has plenty of power to run a 54 watt bar.

Yes you can build a rectifier and run it on the AC side of the stator of the stock light circuit.  

Not sure it is worth it.  I Rode last night in the rain with an 18W light bar and a head lamp and it was really good. I have been using that for a while hooked direct to the battery with a shut off switch.  Just finished installing a 30W light bar this morning to see if it will work without draining or harming the battery.  This way is far easier than dealing with a home made rectifier. I think if you want to go bigger than 30W it is just best to get the trail tech DC stator.  Then you can go nuts with the light.  The truth of the matter is the head lamp is the most important light because it goes where you look. Anyway that is just my two cents.    

Looks like a great light bar! Sorry this doesn't answer your question about trying one because I haven't. However I do a decent amount of night riding in good and bad weather and have now tested a 24 dollar one from Amazon and a 34 dollar one with a 4 dollar switch against a 450 dollar Ridged Industries light with a 200 dollar Trail tech stator.  If money isn't a concern the Higher end lights are better.  But I would say that they are only marginally better. The head lamp is key and that is where I would spend the money!  

• Like 1

The KTM Stator puts out about 100W.  Around 30 of that is DC and 70 of that is AC.  KTM headlights are AC.  The XC model and XC-W models use the same stator to power a headlight in the case of the XC-W.  I'm not certain, but I'm guessing that AC headleight draws about 55W.  The Wiring harness on the XC is the same as the XC-W.  In other words you have an AC plug waiting for you behind the number plate that is intended to run an AC headlight.  So in order to run that 54W DC LED light bar you need to convert that AC to DC with a simple rectifier and this one fills the bill nicely.

Also those 54W LED bars don't need to cost you the absurd amount that some places like Task are asking.  $20 light bar, $20 rectifier and you are 90% done.  Wire in a switch and find a KTM style plug so as not to butcher the stock KTM harness and you are down to just needing to figure out the mounting of the light bar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-RECTIFIER-AC-to-DC-LED-CONVERTER-USA-FULL-WAVE/391304590098?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9inch-54W-CREE-LED-Work-light-Bar-Flood-Beam-Fog-Offroad-Lamp-4x4-ATV-Boat-Truck/302509250228?epid=1463842514&hash=item466ef4d6b4:g:OvIAAOSwbF1aDksA&vxp=mtr

I put lights on the AC side using a cheap 50V rectifier off digikey.  It sits under the tank and is about the size of 2 sugar cubes. The rectified AC give about 12-32V DC  which is perfect for LED lights.  LED lights usually have  large voltage input range.  I run 2ea 18W LED lights and a polysport LED tail light.  By using the AC the light is quite bright at idle (12v) and very bright when you are riding (32V).  And it doesn't drain the battery. My LED were $13 each, the rectifiers was about $12 and the tail light was $15.  My handle bar switch was $1.86 on chinabay. Total cost was less than $60 for all. The rectifier above might be a touch small on the peak voltage as I measured up to 32V.  Nicer looking than mine though. Cam.

Edited by KXcam22
  • Like 1

Squampton,   Love your LED mount.  Can you post a couple more pics of it. Thanks. Cam.

Thanks. I wish I had done this one first. The two small holes in the hand guards are from the first set up. No I used the bolts from the hand guards with minor modification to the brackets that came with the light. This light was 34 dollar is 30 watts and is connected direct to the battery with an inline switch. It has been out on the trails with 450 dollar ridged industries lights and it is very close to the same performance wise and looks almost identical. I have had no issues night riding for a couple hrs at a time. Light works and battery still starts the bike. I will update if anything stops working but for now I'm quite happy with it. 

20171125_134940.jpg

20171127_225936.jpg

20171127_225950.jpg

I put a diode bridge on the AC side to run some lights - non regulated.  On my 200 it maxes out at about 36VDC which is great for LED lights.  On my 2017 300XC it maxes out at about 60VDC, too high.  I was hoping to leave it un regulated but it looks like a regulator of some type is required.  Cam. 

As far as helmet lights go, I've used the $20 amazon lights, and they are OK at best.  They seem bright at first, but they are way too "white" to give natural perspective at night.  They are also unsafe (Battery packs are unprotected)  A friend that is big into mountain biking recommended the Revtronic BT40 lights, which are only slightly more coin, but give off a more neutral light tint and the come with a good, safe battery pack.  I've had friends with the cheap amazon light packs catch fire during charging.

The other nice thing about this light is that it has a light on the back which indicates amount of charge left in the pack.  The cheap lights just go out on you with no warning.  With these, when the light on the back turns red you have >25% battery left, when it starts blinking red it's time to stop and change the battery before it goes out.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Revtronic-BT40S-1600-Lumens-Rechargeable-Mountain-Bike-Light-Bicycle-Light/182730575721

I used GoPro flex/swivel mounts to attach them to the helmet

IMG_2211.JPG

IMG_2210.JPG

IMG_2209.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2207.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

Edited by WoodsRacerDotCom

I'm curious where everyone is getting 30W/70W from. I checked my amperage last weekend and got 5.5A off the DC lines and 7.5A off the AC lines. When I checked voltage on the AC lines it was ~9V at idle and maxed at 15V when reving it out. The math says it's then a 50-80W DC line and a 70-100W AC line.

On 11/26/2017 at 3:19 AM, judgnot said:

The KTM Stator puts out about 100W.  Around 30 of that is DC and 70 of that is AC.  KTM headlights are AC.  The XC model and XC-W models use the same stator to power a headlight in the case of the XC-W.  I'm not certain, but I'm guessing that AC headleight draws about 55W.  The Wiring harness on the XC is the same as the XC-W.  In other words you have an AC plug waiting for you behind the number plate that is intended to run an AC headlight.  So in order to run that 54W DC LED light bar you need to convert that AC to DC with a simple rectifier and this one fills the bill nicely.

Also those 54W LED bars don't need to cost you the absurd amount that some places like Task are asking.  $20 light bar, $20 rectifier and you are 90% done.  Wire in a switch and find a KTM style plug so as not to butcher the stock KTM harness and you are down to just needing to figure out the mounting of the light bar.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-RECTIFIER-AC-to-DC-LED-CONVERTER-USA-FULL-WAVE/391304590098?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/9inch-54W-CREE-LED-Work-light-Bar-Flood-Beam-Fog-Offroad-Lamp-4x4-ATV-Boat-Truck/302509250228?epid=1463842514&hash=item466ef4d6b4:g:OvIAAOSwbF1aDksA&vxp=mtr

where can I find a ktm harness plug?