propper chain slack?

what messurment do you think is the right chain slack?

What do you think about this video? I allways followed the the messurements in the owners manual but it might be to tight if you listen to this video?

I did both, went buy the book and took the shock off to compare, all was good

With the chain guard installed the manual says when pulling the chain up it must at least contact the guard and I found when I removed my shock and adjusted 2 fingers at the tightest point the chain will pull just short of the chain guard so I adjust it to contact the chain guard.

I did both, went buy the book and took the shock off to compare, all was good
With the chain guard installed the manual says when pulling the chain up it must at least contact the guard and I found when I removed my shock and adjusted 2 fingers at the tightest point the chain will pull just short of the chain guard so I adjust it to contact the chain guard.

So if the bike is on its stand, how much slack should I aim for? I think the book says 55-58mm if you pull the chain up from the swingarm right beside the chainguard. Is this enough to not risk damaging the wheelbearings and crank?

9 minutes ago, mx4all said:

So if the bike is on its stand, how much slack should I aim for? I think the book says 55-58mm if you pull the chain up from the swingarm right beside the chainguard. Is this enough to not risk damaging the wheelbearings and crank?

I adjust the chain so it makes contact when I pull it up to the guard 

File May 27, 6 58 14 PM.jpeg

keep it at 58mm don't run too tight anything less than 55 and it does damage to the drive-train. always use a quality ruler or as I did jus make a 58mm plastic or metal shim  from a ruler or piece of scrap

If you ride a lot of thick mud 58mm ,  dry 55mm is plenty.   The top of the guard is a full 58mm.

forget everything you have read so far in this post. the only right way to do it is compress the shock, or unbolt it, and align the counter shaft swing arm pivot and rear axle so they are all in a strait line and make sure you still have a little slack. you want to make sure at the tightest point in travel it still has some slack.

PDS requires more slack than linkage. On linked bikes I ran 3 fingers tight at top of swingarm just behind slider. PDS, 3 very loose fingers. 2&1/4" vs 2&3/4". And yes, even a little looser when in mud or sand.

• Like 1