Cheap effective way to clean an air filter?

1 large bowl and 1 bucket ,  a little cheap gas(stale preferable) and the other full of dish soap and water.   It just takes a few seconds and a couple squeezes to break down the oil, then straight into the dish soap bucket. Then you can take to the sink for more thorough cleaning.

17 minutes ago, Poekey said:

There are products and sprays. I can barely get through a month before the can runs out.

Does anyone have any suggestions of cheap efficient ways to clean a foam air filter?

Gasoline :thumbsup: then compressed air blow off be clean as a whilst.  Let dry then massage oil foam filter oil in. I've never had to wipe out my airbox . Just did filter today and took pic . Done this method for over 20 years useing Belray foam filter oil. Never engine failure caused by dirt sucked

20170527_133658.jpg

20170527_204845.jpg

Edited by Motox367

I don't want to sound stupid. But this is my first bike. Second season riding. Been out a handful of times.
I used gasoline to clean my buckets after and wondered if it would be an effective cleaner that was as efficient as the spray.
But was a little worried about something catching fire or exploding.
I guess with effective rinsing and letting it air dry. I should be fine.
Thank you.

• Like 1

Dish soap, hot water.  Let it soak for a few minutes, let the soap work its magic.  Quick hand-cleaning, rinse it out, let it dry and re-oil. 

Easy on the hands, easy on the environment. 

IMG_20130310_181149-L.jpg

• Like 2

I go to napa and buy a big thing of solvent for like $25. Pour it in a bucket with some kind of top on it so it can't spill or a pet could drink it. Then Everytime I clean I dip my air filter in it. Wring it out over the bucket to reuse the solvent. Then hose it off. It gets the filter as clean as gasoline but doesn't tear the filter apart like gasoline. Then after about a year you dump the dirt out at the bottom of the bucket. Best $25 I ever spent.

• Like 1

I go to napa and buy a big thing of solvent for like $25. Pour it in a bucket with some kind of top on it so it can't spill or a pet could drink it. Then Everytime I clean I dip my air filter in it. Wring it out over the bucket to reuse the solvent. Then hose it off. It gets the filter as clean as gasoline but doesn't tear the filter apart like gasoline. Then after about a year you dump the dirt out at the bottom of the bucket. Best $25 I ever spent.

What's the name of the solvent?

And how often do you have to re-purchase it? Is it kind of a one time buy? Where you can keep reusing it. Just pour it from one container to another and clean the bottom once every season or so?

x 2 on the notoil, let sit overnight and done. No stink and no disposal to worry about and cheap luv that stuff.

No Toil and the washing machine. Run a hot cycle and it comes out looking brand new. The washer is always clean. I did this once with a small load of shirts. NEVER again. Lint all over the filter. Sure it was clean. A clean lint magnet. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Poekey said:

The only time that Ive ever had the filter glue obviously dissolve, is using solvent , never with gas, so the solvent type is more critical than regular gas. Which I'm still running the original oem filter with 550 hours, and I use gas to break down the oil.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Poekey said:

I forget name. It's one of those generic napa ones that I think simply says "solvent" or somthing. Any kind of "solvent" will work though. No need to toss it. Just keep in some kind of bucket and reuse it.i used to buy those crazy expensive spray cleaners too. Never again after seeing my mechinc friend do it this way. Cleans way better and way cheaper 

2 hours ago, Spud786 said:

The only time that Ive ever had the filter glue obviously dissolve, is using solvent , never with gas, so the solvent type is more critical than regular gas. Which I'm still running the original oem filter with 550 hours, and I use gas to break down the oil.

I was told that too but maybe the generic napa brand I am using isn't as damaging. Been using over a year now and air filter is fine. The one time I did use gasoline my filter came right apart so I know what your talking about.

51 minutes ago, Engstrom said:

I was told that too but maybe the generic napa brand I am using isn't as damaging. Been using over a year now and air filter is fine. The one time I did use gasoline my filter came right apart so I know what your talking about.

Was this a relatively new gas resistive filter, the gas ate it, like a twin air eom ?     You never know what people have used in the past, and foam will degrade over time, till it begins breaking down because of age.   I prefer stale gas(but will use fresh), and its only on the filter a few seconds to break the oil down, then straight into a bucket of water and dish soap to rinse the gas out.  

Rather than gasoline, I use mineral spirits. (paint thinner) Pour it into a container of choice that the filter can fit into, wash the filter in it, then dump it back into a jug. The dirt will settle to the bottom. When you go to re-pour into the bowl next time, stop pouring before it gets to the dirt layer. I also use a paint strainer to filter the dirt out ever so often. 

Hot soapy water bath before it goes back on the bike. 

There are better ways, of course, but that's my cheap ghetto way. 

Edited by Kosmic
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Engstrom said:

Or a gallon of paint thinner (mineral spirits) from Home Depot $9.00.  The only thing I've ever used.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, L. Euler said:

Or a gallon of paint thinner (mineral spirits) from Home Depot $9.00.  The only thing I've ever used.

The mineral spirits won't dissolve the bonding glue on the filter (that attaches the filter body and the rim) like gasoline does. The mineral spirits dissolves the filter oil, and the laundry detergent dissolves everything else.

52 minutes ago, L. Euler said:

Yeah, wondering if stuff I got was basically same stuff.