So I want to share a solution I discovered today for what seems to be a somewhat common issue. 

First a little background, I ride a 2007 YZ144 set up for the woods and I had recently started to develop some slack in the rear end, so I had a buddy help me look and sure enough it was moving in the linkage. So I just received my new bearings and went to press out all the old bearings today. Using all-thread, some thick washers, and some nuts I was able to press out all the bearings in the linkage reasonably quickly (once I figured out to use a smaller socket so I wasn't hitting the shoulder). 

But then I ran into a dead-end.. the connecting link, dog bone, wish bone etc. has a shoulder, or raised sleeve, between the two bearings preventing you from pushing them both out one side. Now from my understanding this isn't the case on every bike, some bikes don't have a shoulder and the bearings in the connecting link can both be pressed out one side but my service manual clearly showed a shoulder. After some searching nobody really had a great method for removing these bearings except for buying a blind bearing puller. So I bought a cheap blind bearing puller from Harbor Freight but this did not work for me, it was slightly too large. So back to the drawing board.. then I discovered this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YRA3nhzXX0

Essentially, these races can be hammered out from the opposite side using a concrete expansion anchor that cost $2.69 at my local Ace Hardware Store. The one I found and used was slightly different from the one shown in the above video but there are many different styles that would probably work. Mine was luckily just the right length where I didn't need to use all thread or anything. Just slide it through to the race on the opposite side and expand it once inside (remove the needles before hand by the way). Once I had it in there and expanded, a few solid hammer blows (with wood underneath) and it came right out.  See below for pictures of how it works. 

I've seen the question asked on these forums several times with no solution other than "buy a blind bearing puller" so hopefully this helps some people out. 

IMG_2893.JPG

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

IMG_2887.JPG

IMG_2888.JPG

IMG_2891.JPG

• Like 2

That's a good idea. When I did mine recently I left the needle bearings in, with some grease to hold them  in, and used a socket extension and my harbor freight press to push out the bearing, and some heat to the linkage.

20 minutes ago, Midge said:

yeah i just use a socket - extension - heat - then press it out

Yes but this tool was specifically for the bearings that can't be pushed out and have to be pulled. 

IMO its really hard to get a bind bearing out even with the bearings gone with a socket/extension/heat.

I remove all the old needle bearings and had at it with heat and use the tool in my pic on the inner/outer edge of the bearing cassing cus you can not get at the back side.

As well, this is what it looks like when you leave them too long.

20170410_173419.jpg.dad81c37cef64429312e7264fbc8857d.jpg20170410_173527.jpg.d3a8951c78c5f7618787deda1ab55c3b.jpg