Eli Needs A Brake

I see you're rocking a new set of twins.  Good choice.

Tomac's team screwed with his bike for a long time just to cut the brake line.  They easily had time to swap the wheel.  Maybe had time to put a new caliper / master on.

With as much time as they took, it seemed pointless to send him back out with no front brake.

Edited by redrider144
  • Like 5

Totally agree, what are they doing just tinkering with sh$t? As soon as he comes in the pits they should be ready for a wheel swap and possibly a complete front brake setup, bet he would've gotten a few more spots....  

• Like 7

I don't think they believed it was the rotor, so swapping the wheel is pointless , I think they were willing to loose time to find the cause, 2nd time now is embarrassing

• Like 2

On 5/27/2017 at 9:30 PM, redrider144 said:

I see you're rocking a new set of twins.  Good choice.

Tomac's team screwed with his bike for a long time just to cut the brake line.  They easily had time to swap the wheel.  Maybe had time to put a new caliper / master on.

With as much time as they took, it seemed pointless to send him back out with no front brake.

I wouldn't be able to walk after the puckering all those downhills without a front brake. 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, DesertCR said:

Read it was a rock getting stuck in the caliper....that's bad luck right there.

Agreed, especially if it was not related to the other brake issue he had in SX.  From everything I'm reading though, they say it is a similar issue and I haven't been able to find anything concrete about it being a rock.

I had that happen to me on a desert trip.  I was cruising around slowly on this little track near our RV with my daughter on my lap on my KX 500, and somehow a tiny rock got stuck between the rotor and the pads on my brand new oversized brake setup.  So odd.  It didn't make me fall, but did make the bike slow down and put one hell of a scar on the rotor, to the point that I had to swap it out with the old, original parts so that I could ride the rest of the trip.  Never happened before, never since in 30+ years of riding. 

Sucks for him that it cost that many points and could be such an .

41 minutes ago, DesertCR said:

Read it was a rock getting stuck in the caliper....that's bad luck right there.

Which would be kind of interesting as it didn't look like the mechanics gave the bottom half of the brakes even a glance when they were working on it.  Looked like they were messing around up by the perch assembly the whole time.

• Like 3

I said this last time. But when I bought my bike from the dealer they had put the wrong master cylinder on the front brake. It looked identical but would lock up randomly once it was warmed up.

From the Racer X podcast (i keep mentioning this) sounds like it was a similar issue.

Did they change Master cylinder/caliper after Moto 1? If its the wrong M/C then he wouldve had that problem in Moto 1. These guys better figure it out quick, no one else is having these brake problems and if it costs him and Kawi another championship then someones gonna be gettin fired I say.

• Like 2