Sign in to follow this  

Missing My old bikes exhaust sound. Please Help!

So recently I went from a 1999 yz125 to a 2013 KTM 250 sx. My yz made this glorious high pitched screaming two stroke sound. My KTM has a much deeper pitch, is this due to the pipe or the larger  bore? My current set up is a Scalvini pipe with a pro circuit R-304 SS silencer. Hoping its not the pipe because I'm in love with the old school look. Any ideas how to raise the pitch?

-Thanks 

A bike with twice the displacement is automatically going to sound deeper. 

• Like 1

So recently I went from a 1999 yz125 to a 2013 KTM 250 sx. My yz made this glorious high pitched screaming two stroke sound. My KTM has a much deeper pitch, is this due to the pipe or the larger  bore? My current set up is a Scalvini pipe with a pro circuit R-304 SS silencer. Hoping its not the pipe because I'm in love with the old school look. Any ideas how to raise the pitch?
-Thanks 

Single ring piston, double base gasket, retard ignition, dep pipe. That'll give you a revvy pingy motor more like a 125. Depends how you like the power though?

I have a yz250 set up like this and it sounds a bit like a 125 but twice as scary. It has a big over rev but you give up a fair bit down low.

I feel the exact opposite. I wish my YZ had the deep throaty pitch that my  2013 KTM 300xc has. Both bikes are the same displacement (300 cc), but the YZ sounds very "pingy" compared to the KTM. The power delivery is very similar on both bikes, but I can tell the YZ has a fair bit more up top. The KTM has a little more grunt right off idle, but doesn't rev a freely as the Yam (the YZ has several mods that were specifically done to increase the revs). I'm running the stock exhaust on the XC, and a DEP/ FMF TC2 sparky combo on the YZ. I'm thinking about trying the FMF Q Stealth in hopes that it will not only be quieter, but also lower the pitch.  

A 125 revs a lot higher, 

but you could find a cheap 

used silencer, and keep

shortening it, til it sounds loud ?

Keep the packing fresh, as a

burnt out silencer can lose

2 to 4 hp. Also watch the plug /

jetting, as a shorter silencer 

might be less back pressure, 

flow more air, cause lean

jetting

Pipes and silencers on

Ktm's are the same for a

few models and CC sizes

http://dirtbikemagazine.com/ktm-300-exhaust-systems/

Edited by yamaha7654

I feel the exact opposite. I wish my YZ had the deep throaty pitch that my  2013 KTM 300xc has. Both bikes are the same displacement (300 cc), but the YZ sounds very "pingy" compared to the KTM. The power delivery is very similar on both bikes, but I can tell the YZ has a fair bit more up top. The KTM has a little more grunt right off idle, but doesn't rev a freely as the Yam (the YZ has several mods that were specifically done to increase the revs). I'm running the stock exhaust on the XC, and a DEP/ FMF TC2 sparky combo on the YZ. I'm thinking about trying the FMF Q Stealth in hopes that it will not only be quieter, but also lower the pitch.  

How you liking it? Spring now, you got some time on her?

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:29 PM, richg said:

"...I have a yz250 set up like this and it sounds a bit like a 125 but twice as scary..."

LOL! Quote of the Day. :prof: :worthy: :cheers:

• Like 1

Generally, a pipe with a smaller diameter will have a higher pitch. The trend recently is towards a deeper exhaust note, as seen with most aftermarket 250 2-stroke silencers; the endcap will have a larger diameter tip than the stock unit, for that "throaty" sound.

With that in mind, try swapping a 125 endcap onto your silencer. Many FMF 125 & 250 canisters and endcaps are interchangeable; perhaps the R-304 is the same.

https://www.procircuit.com/ktm-r-304-silencer.html

Some shops have a pile of used silencers; you could use those as guinea pigs.

If nothing else, it will give you a chance to play with your bike, figure a few things out, and add to your experience & knowledge. :prof:

Good luck, and keep us informed with what you do. 👍

Edited by CaptDan
Clairity
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CaptDan said:

Generally, a pipe with a smaller diameter will have a higher pitch. The trend recently is towards a deeper exhaust note, as seen with most aftermarket 250 2-stroke silencers; the endcap will have a larger diameter tip than the stock unit, for that "throaty" sound.

With that in mind, try swapping a 125 endcap onto your silencer. Many FMF 125 & 250 canisters and endcaps are interchangeable; perhaps the R-304 is the same.

https://www.procircuit.com/ktm-r-304-silencer.html

Some shops have a pile of used silencers; you could use those as guinea pigs.

If nothing else, it will give you a chance to play with your bike, figure a few things out, and add to your experience & knowledge. :prof:

Good luck, and keep us informed with what you do. 👍

Thanks! I will give this a try!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, markmc2 said:

first of all, dump that KTM on the side of the road or closest dumpster. secondly, pickup a yz. and finally, pin that yz!

I actually still have the YZ could't bring myself to sell it lol guess 2 bikes is better than 1 LOL

I found on my buddies 2012 KTM 250 SX theres a button on the bottom of the the frame right where the gas tank rests towards the front of the bike, and it puts it into over rev, it stretches the base gasket a bit thicker through a small coolant jet on the case makimg the exhaust port sit higher as well as the pv raises another few mms and it activates an over rev box so it revs as high as a 125. it also uses a little electric motor on the crank to put the bottom of the connecting rod in a tighter circle and a longer rod.

Haha im playing but a bigger motor revs a bit lower than a 125 due to having less time to scavenge air and fuel through the which is made up for by increasing low rpm power. but sure there are plenty of ways to make it sing like a 125 but it can be pricey depending om the route you take. If I were you I wouldnt be silly and just send it