yz250 clutch issues

broke my clutch cable while riding a few weeks ago. bike sat for 2-3 weeks while i waited for time to work on it and for the cable to come in. went to replace my cable and my clutch wouldnt work. the actuator lever inside the ignition cover was slack and wouldnt engage or disengage so i replaced the push rod that goes the length of the trans, filed down the moderate grooves on my basket, got it all together and the clutch itself is "functional" but wont disengage. the cable has no more adjustment to make it longer and it seems too short as it has no freeplay. its routed correctly and all as well. cable is a motion pro if that matters. when i put friction plates and clutch plates back in they were SUPER worn and the friction plates were almost flat but they were still in spec according to my manual so i did it anyways. i have a new clutch kit, should i put that in and see how that acts or is it a waste of time and the problem is somewhere else? any help is appreciated.

For clarification purposes.. You're saying the cable seems to be too short and has no free play, but it still won't pull enough to disengage (release) the clutch? You're sure you have the clutch pusher axle/arm in the correct orientation? 

2 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

For clarification purposes.. You're saying the cable seems to be too short and has no free play, but it still won't pull enough to disengage (release) the clutch? You're sure you have the clutch pusher axle/arm in the correct orientation? 

the cable wont let the arm down all the way to disengage the clutch completely. the clutch engages fine and i can put the bike into gear just fine but say i have it in first, i go to let the clutch out and the bike wont start rolling until the lever is basically all the way out and even when it is all the way out im still riding the clutch the entire time im going. 

2 minutes ago, 1980ds100 said:

the cable wont let the arm down all the way to disengage the clutch completely. the clutch engages fine and i can put the bike into gear just fine but say i have it in first, i go to let the clutch out and the bike wont start rolling until the lever is basically all the way out and even when it is all the way out im still riding the clutch the entire time im going. 

I'd be suspicious of the Motion Pro cable. I've gotten them that were exactly like OEM, but I've also gotten them that I had no idea what they were for. Part # said it was right, but the cable said otherwise. I'd suggest getting an OEM cable and giving that a try. No guarantee, but that would be my first look.

And as for terminology.. "Disengaging" is when you pull the lever in and the bike stops. "Engage" is when you let the lever out and go. 

11 minutes ago, OLHILLBILLY said:

I'd be suspicious of the Motion Pro cable. I've gotten them that were exactly like OEM, but I've also gotten them that I had no idea what they were for. Part # said it was right, but the cable said otherwise. I'd suggest getting an OEM cable and giving that a try. No guarantee, but that would be my first look.

And as for terminology.. "Disengaging" is when you pull the lever in and the bike stops. "Engage" is when you let the lever out and go. 

my bad. so would putting a new kit in my bike be a wise idea also?

Put the new and old cable end to end, I bet there's a difference in length. Ive read on hear countless of times as was posted prior that after market cables are not the same as oem

4 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

Put the new and old cable end to end, I bet there's a difference in length. Ive read on hear countless of times as was posted prior that after market cables are not the same as oem

just ordered an OEM cable and i guess im stuck with the motion pro i have as the return policy states it has to be unopened and unused for them to accept it back

11 minutes ago, 1980ds100 said:

just ordered an OEM cable and i guess im stuck with the motion pro i have as the return policy states it has to be unopened and unused for them to accept it back

That's crap, electrical has always been that way but not other stuff. I'll note that in my memory about them.

2 hours ago, Smoking 2's said:

That's crap, electrical has always been that way but not other stuff. I'll note that in my memory about them.

how would someone be able to see if it fits and works if its unopened in the first place? im sending it back anyways and just seeing what happens. it was only $12 or something but i dont think ill buy from them again

thanks to this thread i checked the bolt that holds the actuator in place and found out that it was the wrong one so i quickly swapped it out started the bike and clicked through the gears and its all good. The bike sat since king of the hammers now it'll be hittin the tracks this summer.

• Like 1