Drank the Koolaid. Now I have dilemma.

Here's the story. I have a 2006 WR450. This is the second WR450 I've owned. I've had it for 3 or 4 years and have loved the bike. A little heavy but it runs great and is very dependable. I've used it in a few desert races and have done alright for my class. Well, I started looking at new bikes and had decided on a YZ450FX. Everything is good so far right? Until I went racing with a guy who is riding a2017 Beta 300RR race edition. While driving to and from a couple of races i started thinking that a smoker might be the way to go. 

I found a pretty good deal on a 2013 KTM 300xc. I bought it with the plan to ride it for a year and upgrade to a new bike. I started going through it with a fine tooth come, made some necessary repairs and upgrades. I don't want to put a lot of money into it knowing it is just a temporary bike. 

I have put about 4 hours of actual seat time on the KTM... and do not like it. Don't get me wrong, the thing runs great and has no problems, I just don't like the feel and how it handles. I know suspension work would help some of the handling but now we're talking close to $1000 more. Do I cut my losses and go back to what I know, meaning thumpers or spend the money trying to make a bike work for me? 

I still have my WR to fall back on. 

What would you do?

2 hours ago, Borgschulze said:

Ride whatever you like and works for you.

If you don't like the feel of it, who's to say the suspension tuning is going to make you like it?

I hate to give up so I will put a few more hours on it then decide. I'll do some more tinkering with the suspension without throwing more money at it. 

I would get rid of it if it's not exactly what you want. It's not getting any newer or more valuable by you holding onto it, and hopefully you can move it out without taking a loss. In addition to that, the human lifespan isn't long enough to tolerate owning dirt bikes we don't absolutely love riding.

I say unload that eurotrash pumpkin bike and get the 450FX. Plus, as we all know, and as has been proven by science, the steering head eventually cracks off on all KTMs at some point (irregardless of the severity of flat-landing), so you're really playing with fire there. I was more serious in the first paragraph.

• Like 2

I rode the KTM 300 as a WR 450 Rider.  I liked it but did not love it.  The weight was nice but oddly enough it felt cramped.  

I took a 120 mile ride on a Beta 250 RR and loved it.  I will get one at some point but keep my WR.  They are such different bikes.  That being said I ride the WR and a YZ 125.  They both make me smile.  Maybe I am bipolar?

Like Rocker above says....you should not have to learn to love your bike.

• Like 2

On 5/28/2017 at 1:00 PM, 1trackmind said:

Here's the story. I have a 2006 WR450. This is the second WR450 I've owned. I've had it for 3 or 4 years and have loved the bike. A little heavy but it runs great and is very dependable. I've used it in a few desert races and have done alright for my class. Well, I started looking at new bikes and had decided on a YZ450FX. Everything is good so far right? Until I went racing with a guy who is riding a2017 Beta 300RR race edition. While driving to and from a couple of races i started thinking that a smoker might be the way to go. 

I found a pretty good deal on a 2013 KTM 300xc. I bought it with the plan to ride it for a year and upgrade to a new bike. I started going through it with a fine tooth come, made some necessary repairs and upgrades. I don't want to put a lot of money into it knowing it is just a temporary bike. 

I have put about 4 hours of actual seat time on the KTM... and do not like it. Don't get me wrong, the thing runs great and has no problems, I just don't like the feel and how it handles. I know suspension work would help some of the handling but now we're talking close to $1000 more. Do I cut my losses and go back to what I know, meaning thumpers or spend the money trying to make a bike work for me? 

I still have my WR to fall back on. 

What would you do?

Dump it.  Pleanty of Orange Minons out there that will want it.

I tried three orange bikes, and finally gave up.

• Like 1

Simply change the title of thread to Drank the Koolaid. Now I have dementia. 

You'll forget it all anyways so just put down that orange jar of Kool-Aid and get yerself a motorcycle next time. 

• Like 3

I was ready to dump it but I took up in the mountains for a couple of hours. much better experience. I'll keep it for now. Put a little more seat time on it. I suspect that I will be back on blue as soon as I get a little more stash to buy a new 450FX. I'm a little cautious about a used FX because all of the used bikes I have seen for sale were used as snow bikes. I'll wait until I can buy new.

I'm trying to get rid of my dementia, I mean my dilemma. I've put about 15 hrs on it now and still don't like it enough to keep it. YZ450FX is my next bike as soon as the pond (my garage) is drained of Koolaid. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, 1trackmind said:

I'm trying to get rid of my dementia, I mean my dilemma. I've put about 15 hrs on it now and still don't like it enough to keep it. YZ450FX is my next bike as soon as the pond (my garage) is drained of Koolaid. 

Here's a demo for $7,000. http://www.i-90motorsports.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=3603375

Your KDM wasn't even good enough to earn a spot in your signature. :doh:

1 hour ago, shrubitup said:

Here's a demo for $7,000. http://www.i-90motorsports.com/--xInventoryDetail?id=3603375

Your KDM wasn't even good enough to earn a spot in your signature. :doh:

Washington is a long way away. If I can get rid of the "KDM" I have a 17 lined up with 18 hrs and very clean for $7100. 

As for it getting a spot in my sig... I guess I don't pay much attention. I only had the it for a little over a month. 

On 6/2/2017 at 9:26 AM, malignity said:

I drank the orange koolaid twice.

I didn't like the taste either time. 

Ah- But you have not tried the Jim Jones Kool-aid? Over 925 served! Good to the last drop.

Not as funny as this Chinese waiter I think I pissed off once a restaurant and then he came back to the table and said I Have Special Tea for you....Tasted a bit salty for my liking but it was hot.

• Like 1