Sign in to follow this  

2005 CR250 running issue

So I recently finished my 05 CR250 project and have around 10 hours or so on the fresh engine rebuild. I was trail riding and went through a rather deep water hole, that was about halfway up the stator cover. Shortly after getting out of the water the bike started acting up. Such as won't stay running, acting as if the plug was fouled. After sitting over night, the bike will start first kick and run great for around 5 minutes or so (until it gets up to temp) then quickly starts acting up. Any ideas?

Takes your stator cover off and snap a pic or two and post them. Make sure the gasket looks good. There's actually a whole in the bottom of the stator case area that leads to the other side of the motor so water can drain but I imagine it can come in that way too. My buddy had an 04 that we just did a top/bottom end on and hasn't had this problem going threw deep water before or after the rebuild.

Once that bike has really dried out I suggest you have the stator tested. It's possible that it's cooked and testing it will reveal if it's done. I had a stator go last year and when it was cold would fire up and run for a few minutes and die. Then it wouldn't start until it cooled down. 

Well, I tested the stator, pickup coil and ignition coil both ways just the way the service manual said to. Turns out I had a fouled BR9EG spark plug. The bike had been running rich in 70 degree weather. I have a 40pilot jet and the clip is in the middle. I'm going to try a 37.5pj and move the clip one slot up.

• Like 1