2014 Beta RR -Rear Brake

Anybody have problem with losing rear brake? After several hours of technical riding was ripping 

down a dirt road and brake pedal went down low and didn't activate brake pads. Stopped 

checked brakes could not find problem. Rode a mile slow pumping brake pedal several times 

- brake pedal began to activate brake pads. Tension came back but there was more than 

normal slack in brake pedal. 

Checked rear brake this am. The rear brake worked and brake pedal did not have any slack

on it. The downward movement was minimal before activating brake felt like new.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. What brake fluid are you using? 

19 hours ago, MasterRider said:

Anybody have problem with losing rear brake? After several hours of technical riding was ripping 

down a dirt road and brake pedal went down low and didn't activate brake pads. Stopped 

checked brakes could not find problem. Rode a mile slow pumping brake pedal several times 

- brake pedal began to activate brake pads. Tension came back but there was more than 

normal slack in brake pedal. 

Checked rear brake this am. The rear brake worked and brake pedal did not have any slack

on it. The downward movement was minimal before activating brake felt like new.

Your thoughts would be appreciated. What brake fluid are you using? 

Brake fluid needs to be flushed every once in a while like any bike.. my cr 250 honda was famous for brake fade. When was the last time you flushed your brakes?

Anyway the other thing to do is to buy high temp motul brake fluid or other high temp brake fluid. I'm a victim of brake fade myself yesterday. I didn't change my brake fluid for a longer time and was riding a race with lots more braking and harder braking so old brake fluid doesn't handle . The second or 3rd moto I'd lose my brakes half way through..and the 4th moto maybe earlier.. My fault I should have changed it before the race.. I thought it could last one more ride.  

Also.. check your brake pedal height.. if it's too high you might be dragging your brake in regular riding but just not notice it so much and adding to brake fade  prematurely. Funny this comes up.. this directly relatest to what I have to do..change brake fluid.. I bought a little brake cooler too.. one of those aluminum ones that screw into the rear caliper.. of course I didn't put it on.. maybe I should have done that before the race too.

I've used this and it's great.. lasts longer than regular brake fluid.. 

http://www.motosport.com/product/?adpos=1o1&cc=us&creative=188670675481&device=c&gclid=CjwKEAjwja_JBRD8idHpxaz0t3wSJAB4rXW5vlR-U7-_zFpTXHABo4Vgzrjh7inJ9DHry2aetlRqChoCdJnw_wcB&key=Motul-RBF-600-Racing-Brake-Fluid&matchtype=&network=g&product_id=MUL-B02-013&psreferrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F&pssource=true&segment=badger

X001.jpg

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 2

Thanks for the follow up. I bled the rear brake fluid and replaced with Motul

600. Rechecked everything no problems were found. Looking forward to 

next ride. 

• Like 2