Opinion's Please, storaging fuel in Barrel with pump?

Good day guys, just looking for anyones input: I have being storing my premium fuel for race bikes/HP sleds, RZR in a aviation coated barrel with a pump in it and a particle/water filter on outlet.  And I store it inside a storage tent (out of sun but gets hot inside tent).  My friend said its fore sure getting lots water in bbl due to it breathing and condensing as the barrel pump stinger is not perfectly sealed (threaded fitting into bung but slides thr).

I have used it for 2 years now without issues YET and always add 10% / 5gals of av 100 fuel to keep octane up and longer shelf life.

I don't think I can seal the pump, maybe welding or sealant stinger to bung fitting and install a breather when pumping? I'm also not sure how to tell if theres moisture getting in barrel (test)??

Thanks for your time guys, Jason

47 minutes ago, jaysrippen said:

Good day guys, just looking for anyones input: I have being storing my premium fuel for race bikes/HP sleds, RZR in a aviation coated barrel with a pump in it and a particle/water filter on outlet.  And I store it inside a storage tent (out of sun but gets hot inside tent).  My friend said its fore sure getting lots water in bbl due to it breathing and condensing as the barrel pump stinger is not perfectly sealed (threaded fitting into bung but slides thr).

I have used it for 2 years now without issues YET and always add 10% / 5gals of av 100 fuel to keep octane up and longer shelf life.

I don't think I can seal the pump, maybe welding or sealant stinger to bung fitting and install a breather when pumping? I'm also not sure how to tell if theres moisture getting in barrel (test)??

When you say premium fuel, do you mean premium fuel from a gas station, or an aftermarket fuel company like VP etcetera?

I never buy/store fuel in any quantity over 5 gallons at a time, unless I am filling up the truck.  You will never be able to "store" fuel for more than a week or so with out it getting water in it.

When you say premium fuel, do you mean premium fuel from a gas station, or an aftermarket fuel company like VP etcetera?

Fuel station.

I live out of town that's why I wanted larger fuel storage.

Makes me think how farmers with larger 200g gravity fed fuel tanks keep water out?

How often are you cycling through that fuel?

I wouldn't worry too much about a little bit of condensation. 

I probably get more water in my sled's tank when I top off when it's snowing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowMule said:

How often are you cycling through that fuel?

I wouldn't worry too much about a little bit of condensation. 

I probably get more water in my sled's tank when I top off when it's snowing.

Going through the 45 gal bbl about every 4-5months.  Ill buy another new spin on water filter if I keep using it

18 hours ago, jaysrippen said:

Fuel station.

I live out of town that's why I wanted larger fuel storage.

Makes me think how farmers with larger 200g gravity fed fuel tanks keep water out?

My reason for asking was, if it was a fuel supplier like VP or some other, they usually have info about their fuels shelf life in various conditions.

Here are a couple of articles about pump gas.  As you know, there are a lot of variables involved, but the consensus seems to be 3-6 months.  Seasonal weather changes being the biggest factor.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/04/09/aa.bad.gas/

https://www.quora.com/How-long-does-gasoline-last-in-a-sealed-container

Six months in a proper container, in a climate controlled environment should be fine. I'd try and cut it back to three and a smaller container. Part of the fuel storage problem is being in a non-full container. A full barrel with next to no airspace lasts longer than the same barrel half full of fuel and half 'empty' space.

Fuel depots have tops that 'float' on the fuel to minimize 'empty' space.

• Like 1

On 2017-05-29 at 5:15 AM, jaysrippen said:

Its ok as long you feel that your engine ok. That simple. Dont listen on ppl that want to be THAT guy.