Helmet suggestions? [please correct me if wrong section]

Like the title says, I'm looking for an OG's opinion on a great dual sport/adventure helmet.

I've been looking at the AFX FX 39, and the Variant but I wanted to get your guys' opinion before I pull a very expensive (or not) trigger.

Main concerns:

1. Price - would like to be under $300, under $200 is even better!

2. Sound at high speeds - would like a helmet that doesn't have my ears ringing after a 20 minute highway ride.

If this is the wrong section, please let me know where to post this! New guy here so please excuse my ignorance.

i always use earplugs, wind noise is going to exist regardless but a good helmet will reduce it, control airflow through the helmet better and be alot more stable at high speeds .. that said i dont have alot of experience with helmets because theyre expensive yes .. but i got a 'shoei quest' for a reasonable price, and its light years better than something like a bargain type helmet such as a speed and strength ..

• Like 2

how much is your head worth ?

coming from purely street, my current helmet is a shoei x11. yes it was an expensive helmet but i have it for 7 years, over 40k miles with it. now its time to change it. before it i had an Arai , crap im not sure the model, i think it was a RX7 also great helmet.

i have asked tge same question ad yours, but the more i read the more im leaning torward the shoei adventure.

• Like 3

I like the FX-39 a lot,has great visibility and ventillation but it is not the quietest helmet out there but I always wear a helmet liner and earplugs whenever I ride.I got mine in the optional obnoxious hi-viz safety yeller color.

Edited by bumtarder
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, LoLoSama said:

how much is your head worth ?

coming from purely street, my current helmet is a shoei x11. yes it was an expensive helmet but i have it for 7 years, over 40k miles with it. now its time to change it. before it i had an Arai , crap im not sure the model, i think it was a RX7 also great helmet.

i have asked tge same question ad yours, but the more i read the more im leaning torward the shoei adventure.

I wouldn't trust any helmet that is 7 years old. The EPS gets hard after several years of use and will no longer provide the protection that it was designed to give. 

How much is your head worth?

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust any helmet that is 7 years old. The EPS gets hard after several years of use and will no longer provide the protection that it was designed to give. 

How much is your head worth?

thats why im on a market for a new one, btw, there i could find no data that backup that ee should change our helmet every 5 years (under normal use)

i think it came only from manufactor and sales ppl so they could sell more.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, LoLoSama said:

thats why im on a market for a new one, btw, there i could find no data that backup that ee should change our helmet every 5 years (under normal use)

i think it came only from manufactor and sales ppl so they could sell more.

Yeh, I have an Arai VX2 and I think they're up to VX4 or 5......so it's kind of old, but I love this helmet. It's so cush inside I don't even wear ear plugs........course I don't have an MRD either, hahahahahaha:lol:

Just an FMF 4.1  :p

I've also read that they are no good after a crash..........well I've crashed several times, granted my helmet didn't take the hit, but some of that stuff is manufacturer BS. Just my 2cents.

• Like 4

I have the Arai XD-4 and it's a fantastic helmet for hot conditions.  The interior is also plush and avoids me from getting headaches.  Regardless of helmet brand, you should always wear earplugs.  Wind noise will destroy your ears over time.

• Like 3

Are you set on a full face? I thought that is what I wanted and ordered a suomy mx Tourer, but I didn't like riding with it at slow speeds on the road or in the woods. I ended up with a Bell Moto 9 Carbon Flex.  It is normally almost 700 bucks but there are some great deals at Rocky Mountain ATV/MC for certain colors. I got mine for 325.

• Like 1

ive had two speed and strength ss2500 helmets  the first one melted over the summer. the adhesives broke down and all the rubber bits fell off. l i got a new one for 100 bucks and it is now showing the same symptoms and ive only have this one for 3 months so i would stay away.

• Like 1

Quality helmets are LOUD because they have good ventilation.

Best I've done on price was $125 for a Shoei  VF-III.

Properly cared for, quality helmets last decades.

• Like 4

The reason "they" say to change after a crash is that at the point of impact the material is crushed and now less useful.  Are you likely to have a second impact in the exact same place?   No.  But it is possible. 

• Like 1

If your doing a lot of 50+ you may want to go with a street helmet as the visors on the dual sports catch air at 50+.

in your price range check out the bell mx-9 adventure, I have one and coming from an older fly Trekker it a major upgrade.

• Like 2